“Better than expected”

Travelodge London Central Southwark
Ranked #418 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Had a view of the Shard and room was clean and tidy. Staff on check in were friendly and the buffet breakfast was fresh and warm. Had low expectations but was pleasantly surprised by the decor and location for only £100. Mark deducted for dribble of a shower and lack of biscuit with teas and coffees in the room.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Arrived late on a Wednesday evening for a conference at the Barbican. Couldn't be closer to the tube or the Barbican for that matter and just an ideal spot all round. I booked a few weeks prior to attendance so relatively last minute and know to expect no frills at the Travelodge. For £360 for 2 nights though there a few things that need sorted.

Arriving at 11pm and waiting 30 minutes for checkin is not acceptable. The auto check in machines were useless and seemed to recognise none of the guests reference numbers entered into it over the two day period.

Not having any irons is also not really an option. At 11.30pm I very much doubt every iron is in use and there should be something in place to address this at a hotel so close to conference centres.

Waking up on my final day to screaming between a male an two females was unexpected, but sometimes guests have arguments. When I opened the door the blazing argument was in fact between what appeared to be one male and two female members of cleaning staff.... Not even sure what to say. This was more than a disagreement but something out of a soap opera and just grossly unprofessional.

Room was clean, basic, large. Breakfast was good with a fair selection and not too busy at 7.30am.

Overall. Meh. It was slightly worse than expected but at £180 a night the remaining frills offered should be offered efficiently and effectively without Corrie-esque arguement wake up calls.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank matta355
TravelodgeUK, Amy from Customer Services at Travelodge London Central Southwark, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

We are truly sorry to learn of your poor experience matta355. We do expect our guests to have a quick check in service so it is regrettable to learn you experienced a wait at check in. We can also confirm that while we do not provide irons in our rooms we do allow our guests to borrow one at reception, at a first come first serve basis. We do require our staff to be professional at all times so we are quite concerned to learn of the disturbances you experienced. We will be sure to pass on your comments to the hotel management team so that they can be advised of the improvements needed. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Stayed on a Friday night. Frequent visitor to London. Good stay. Excellent double glazing little noise from trains. Good location and very friendly staff. Reasonable choice at breakfast . Attentive staff. Bedrooms basic but good value for London. Near tube and good transport links. Local area walking distance to Borough Market, Tate Modern and Tower Bridge.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Good location and clean. Breakfast was great, well worth the money. Rooms were clean and air conditioning worked. The railway lines were just outside the window but did not hear the trains, just make sure you close the curtains if your on the low floors. Shower hot. Will book again if Waterloo is not available

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I needed somewhere to stay last minute in London due to work and this was the only place I could find that was decent value for money. Ive never had an issue with Travelodges, yes they arent overly luxurious and not always amazing standards but for what you pay and for somewhere just to rest your head at night, its fine! Great location, I must say this is a bit of a hidden gem as it is really centrally located and everything is either walkable or with a short 2 min walk to the station you can get anywhere! Its a little noisy if your on the trainline side but again not really an issue and I would imagine most people sleep through it like I did! Breakfast was good, standard buffet type food but the staff were friendly. I would def stay again for business or if I was just lookng for a base!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Stayed here for a weekend, good location, close to the undergound and the river thames.

Very small but basic rooms. All very clean.

The only negative would have the the cleaning staff, when we left our room for the day at about 11.30am she grunted and shrugged her shoulder as she now had another room to clean. very unprofessional an unnecessary. We went to reception to mention it but there was no 1 there....

I would stay here again though...

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2014

This hotel was excellent in terms of its proximity to the southbank and borough/ london bridge. The area is excellent and is not dead at the weekend like I have found Bank to be. The room was fantastic and air conditioned and I had no issue with noise. I have no complaints except the staff were sometimes a little too relaxed or did not seem as attentive as I would have liked and also I was disappointed in the television. Six channels and no freeview or subtitles. This seems silly to me considering freeview is extremely easy to get.
I would definitely recommend, I even had a bath!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge