“good place for students”

New Cross Inn Hostel
Ranked #412 of 823 Speciality Lodging in London
Zagreb, Croatia
“good place for students”
Reviewed 13 January 2013

so, the place is very neat the METRO/SUBWAY/TRAIN (or how they call that) and just few station from London Bridge and Tower of London.

it's a lovley place to stay, but the information about breakfast is not so true, i mean there is breakfast but not in the full meaning of the word (and you have to wash the dishes after ^_^)

There is Internet buf you can reach it only on the reception floor and on the first floor, a huge minus for that.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank NikolaG2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Polish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2012

The New Cross Inn is very reasonably priced and in a great location. I had spent a long time looking through the internet for cheap places to stay in London and this place was definatly the most reasonably priced with a good location. I think what people need to bare in mind when booking a hostel is that you are indeed booking a hostel and not a hotel!! The whole place was cleaned every day, the bathroom and the furniture was quite old but nevertheless the place was clean and is perfect for a couple of nights stay in London, especially if you are going out at night as well! Would definatly go back.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ECarmenF
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I stayed at this hostel while backpacking around UK. The staff was really nice and helpful, they offer free breakfast and internet. The station and bus stop are couple of minutes away and the area is plenty of places to eat and hang out with fair prices (I suppose that's because the university is just in front of it so normally there are a lot of students are always around). In general the ambience was good.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter but internet works better on the lower floor.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Christine W
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 17 July 2012

My husband and I went backpacking in England and stayed at this hostel for a week. Our first night we had a private spacious room with excellent views , although we did have to share a bathroom. On all of the other nights we stayed in a four person room (with two bunk beds) and a private bathroom. We never had a problem with our things, we would either lock our packs to the bed with bike locks or they also have lockers that you can rent.

It's a very relaxed place, they have a common room with a kitchen and TV and everyone hangs out in there. Also, there is free WiFi available, the connection wasn't great but it got the job done. They also have a computer down in the lobby that you can pay to use.

It's located right above a pub, and if you show proof that you're staying at the hostel you get free entry and free breakfast in the mornings. You have to know a code to get into the hostel, which they changed several times in the week that we stayed here so it was very safe.

The bathrooms are cleaned daily, and when you want your sheets washed you simply place the dirty ones out in the hall and when you come back they will have put fresh ones on the bed.

The only cons we would say is that the whole place smelled like a toilet... a clean toilet, but nonetheless a toilet. Also you're not allowed to use the laundry facilities on your own, but you can give your load to the front desk and pay for them to wash it. It was slightly awkward because I'm hanging over my bra and panties for some man to wash... also, it took around four hours to get my load back so I know he didn't throw it in the wash right away.

One last thing, this is in an optimal location. There is a bus stop a couple blocks down from the hostel, as well as a tube station. Hop on the bus and go 15 minutes one direction and you're in Trafalgar Square, or go 15 minutes the opposite direction and you're in Greenwich Park. There are also little shops in the area where you can purchase day passes for the buses.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank CharshleysTravels
Coleraine, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Stayed one night in this hostel... Not used to London and found this hostel really easily once getting off at new cross gate. Was checked in by a lovely lady and she even checked train times for me for early the next morning. The room itself was basic but beds were comfy. I was in a 4 person room, and the room also had a fridge. Lots to do around the hostel, lots of bars, fast food, train stations etc.. One thing I was really disappointed in though was breakfast was meant to be served at 8 and as I had to catch a train I arrived 5 mins early so I could grab once it was set up and I could run to catch my train... But sat for almost 15 mins and there wasn't any sign do ended up leaving without it. But otherwise can't fault the hostel! I had a great nights sleep and would definately go back again!!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Mrselmerfudd
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 10 July 2012

This was the last place we stayed after six months of travelling, and it was also the worst. In no other city or small town were we this uncomfortable (my hunch is that all these great reviews this place gets are from people just starting their travels). The beds! Oh my god, the beds. More box spring than bed. You could actually SEE the springs through the sheet, and you could feel each one digging into different parts of your body no matter what position you were in. Our room was also located just above the entrance to the bar, and it is LOUD. day and night and early morning. i could hear the bass through my earplugs. Between the noise and the beds, a good night's sleep was totally out of the question.

Then there's the cost. We spent more on this room than we did anywhere else in Europe. I know, I know, it is London, what do you expect? I say, a little more for 60 pounds a night. An actual mattress might be a good place to start. This place is, in my opinion, an incredible rip-off, and I encourage you to look elsewhere for a place to stay while you visit the city.

The ONE thing it had going for it was its location. It is not central, but central London can be accessed very easily. And we really loved getting to hang out in New Cross. Its a diverse neighbourhood, with tons of different kinds of food (all cheap and good), and a few really good pubs (go to the Royal Albert a little ways down the street for good music and board games). Also ate a delish breakfast at The London Particular.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank acdubs

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Reviewed 29 February 2012

I stayed for a weekend with some friends and we liked the place. You can met people from everywhere and have a good time. The room was clean and is not like other places that make you pay for everything, they offer wifi, breakfast and towels for free. A plus is that is really well connected with the city center and there are local bars around (so you can avoid turist prices)

• Stayed February 2012