“Cannot agree with other reviews”

The London Film Museum - South Bank
Type:
More attraction details
Owner description: The London Film Museum South Bank has now closed. However you can still find us at the London Film Museum Covent Garden where we are dedicated to the Bond in Motion Exhibition.
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Having read the other reviews of this museum I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. We found it interesting and enjoyed wandering around at our own pace reading all the very fascinating boards on the history of various film studios. We enjoyed looking at the props from The Borrowers, the Thunderbirds vehicle, and costumes worn in various films by famous stars. At £13.50 each it did seem a little on the expensive side, but this is London! My only criticisms are that all the dvds are playing at the same time in adjacent rooms and the noise means you struggle to hear and concentrate on any one screen as loud music and dialogue coming from a nearby room is drowning out the one you want to hear. One other point is that there is a rather dangerous carpet in one room. My husband and I both tripped over it. I did point it out to a member of staff so I hope this will be dealt with quickly before someone has a nasty accident and sues them.

1  Thank Maz03

Reviewed 21 November 2013

What can I say, I was bitterly disappointed with this museum. It was small, dark and amateurish in it's presentation.
We bought tickets from a guy who spoke very poor English. I think he may have been working on commission as he seemed desperate to get us in and he asked my Grandad if he was a student!! After quoting us the price of £40.50 for three adults we eventually managed to get three adults in for the price of two child tickets, saving us £21.50!! I don't know of many attractions in London that would do that! If you're planning to go, it's very easy to barter a cheap price and get a deal. Do not pay full price!
Inside the Museum we found it to be very random with costumes and props from films we either hadn't heard of or didn't really care much about. The props of any real interest like the Star Wars and sci-fi rooms were clearly full of replicas.
The tardis was completely inaccurate and looked like they had built it themselves! The daleks were damaged too. The Star Wars set was ok but was clearly not looked after. The guy working there said the set was made by the company that made the original, yet when I read the sign, it said it was made by a company I had never heard of, clearly not affiliated with Lucasfilm. I wonder if George Lucas or Disney have even endorsed this set??
The Boba Fett was interesting, but I have seen this replica version before, although it looks like the Museum had made at least SOME effort to make it look accurate. Another replica nonetheless.
The interactive green screen car was awful and you couldn't see the screen because it was covered with writing from the camera I guess.

The horror room was small and uninteresting.

The borrowers props were interesting, but again in very poor condition.

I could go on but you get the picture.

This Museum has the potential to be a fantastic place to visit, it just needs an owner that cares enough it seems.

Thank goodness we didn't pay the full price!

4  Thank Sci-fi-tk421
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We visited this museum on a Saturday afternoon in mid November, and unfortunately picked a date when it was closed for a private function. We hadn't checked the website first since we hadn't appreciated this might happen. We went back the following day in time for the 11 am opening to find the shutters still down and no information as to when it might be open again. The staff in the cafe at County Hall suggested we try the back entrance, and despite the lack of signage we did find our way in. The staff said they had been still clearing up after the function and would not be opening until noon. Having made such a persistent effort to see the collection, I wish I could say it was worth the wait, but it was not. This was a tired collection of random props from a wide variety of different movies. We didn't pay a lot to get in (we used the Great Days out 2 for 1 offer) but even so I felt we did not get what we paid for. The only area where the museum has tried to draw together items under a theme was the Charlie Chaplin section, which was fairly interesting. The rest was pretty poor. We found this such a disappointment. London and Britain are heavily involved in film making; surely the organisers could have made more effort to borrow or acquire interesting artefacts? My visit last year to Harry Potter World, whilst admittedly more expensive, was such a great experience, therefore I was expecting more from this central London museum. There were only a handful of other people there during our visit so perhaps lack of money is the issue? It needs a big injection of cash and initiative to make it worthwhile.

2  Thank JMR61_13
Reviewed 9 November 2013

As recorded by other Trip Advisors we found the museum to be tired and in need of a make over (even a dust would help)! The large cabinets at the entrance were so dusty and dirty it seemed to set the trend! The whole experience was a let down really from start to finish and needed an overhaul. The lighting was so dim in one of the character rooms we couldn't read the information on the walls! After walking past the very long queues for the London Dungeons, we wondered why there was no queue for the museum, walked straight in and moved around freely - we now know why!!

2  Thank Sue H
See more reviews
Reviewed 8 November 2013

In the people packed madness of the County Hall Area this was a lovely calm place to escape to. We visited on a Sunday morning and were greeted by friendly helpful staff and the tickets were reasonable (especially by London standards) and you can go round at your own pace, looking around wherever you like. They have interesting timelines and information on studios and film history and there are rooms dedicated to different genres e.g. 'Super Heroes' and 'Horror' to name just two, the highlight for me was seeing the huge Alien Queen from the Alien movies and my husband was delighted at seeing the Star Wars exhibit (where there is a great photo opportunity for an extra cost). My only query was the museum doesn't have any signage indicating a particular route you should follow so we had to check with staff we hadn't missed anything, but overall a really lovely experience.