All reviews the imperial war museum london apartment film studio royal suite wonderful hosts captain's cabin lambeth north tube station london eye breakfast provisions ray joyce self contained home away from home thought of everything short walk old vic big ben borough market
Reviewed 29 July 2017

We stayed in the Royal Suite for four days in July. I was welcomed warmly by Simon and Gayna who allowed me to check-in early whilst my wife went directly to attend a conference (very accommodating). The room was particularly well appointed and designed with flair and imagination. The bedroom was at the back and we weren't disturbed by traffic noise at night. Information about the area was provided in a personalised wallet detailing how to get around London by bus, though I enjoyed a good walk up to Holborn on one occasion, taking in the sights as I went. The Imperial War Museum is just across the road and is well worth a visit. The London Eye is just around the corner too.
Whilst we were provided on our arrival with breakfast provisions, it wasn't clearly stated that these wouldn't be replenished during our stay, which would have been helpful. Plenty was provided and we only had to top up on milk. The apartment's style gave us the flexibility to eat when we wanted and the excellent kitchen facilities allowed us to cook evening meals during our stay. Captain Bligh House is a lovely place to stay and we will certainly recommend it to others. A big "thank you" to our hosts.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2017

I stayed here as a solo traveller for four nights in July, and I was very pleased with my stay. I stayed in the "Captains Cabin" which was equipped with everything I needed. Nicely furnished and a nice bathroom.

For me it was very conveniently located (maybe with the exception of the trip to and from the airport, but that's no big deal), with several nice pubs nearby and easy access to transportation.

The hosts are very friendly and helpful even though we hardly noticed each other during my stay. :)

My only advice when booking here is that you pay attention to the fact that it isn't really a B&B. Your room is equppied with breakfast for a few days, but there's no breakfast served. It was fine with me and should you really need a full English breakfast it's not hard to find nearby.

I'll be very happy to return, either travelling with my girlfriend or once again on my own.

(The fox I watched from my window in the back garden one morning was a nice bonus, also. ;) )

• Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Sven Ö
Reviewed 10 July 2017

A stay at Captain Bligh House doesn't disappoint. Simon and Gayna are charming hosts, brimming with personality. Over the course of several visits, I have stayed in three of Captain Bligh House's accommodation options - the Royal Suite, the London Rooms and the Crow's Nest. Each suite has its own unique charm and decor. As with many Georgian-era houses, you need to climb the steps from street level to your suite. (Choose the Royal Suite to minimise the number of steps involved.) Breakfast provisions (included in the tariff) are generous, and the kitchenettes are well-equipped for self-catering. En suites are small, but perfectly adequate.
Remember that London is a big city and noise is a constant. A stay at Captain Bligh House will expose you regular traffic sounds, including police and ambulance sirens. You can close the windows to shut out much of the noise, but I enjoyed being able to open the windows and let the fresh air in. (There are lovely views, from the street-facing windows, to a large park and the Imperial War Museum, both located directly across the road.)
Transport links from Captain Bligh House to all parts of London are on your doorstep. There are excellent bus services, heading in all directions, within 100 metres of the front door; Lambeth North tube station is a five-minute walk away. If you are arriving from Heathrow, you can catch a train to Piccadilly, change to the Bakerloo Line, and simply travel four stops to Lambeth North.
Local shops provide all the basics (e.g. groceries, pharmacy needs, ATMs), and there are pubs and restaurants close by. A few minutes further afield by bus will bring you to some sizeable supermarkets.
Captain Bligh House and its hosts exude warmth and welcome. My return visits really do feel like coming home.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tessa_from_Oz
Reviewed 8 July 2017

Our second visit, and we were not disappointed. Indeed, the eighteen year old declared her room (The Film Studio) to be "The Best!" We had the Crow's Nest right up a short few steps next door to the Film Studio; worked out great! There's even a separate "front door" for the two units. Gayna and Simon are dolls and staying at the Captain Bligh House is WAY more fun (and economical) than staying at an impersonal hotel. We are now on a mission to stay in every room! Thanks Gayna and Simon! We'll be back next year to try out the Royal Suite.

Room tip: No lift, if you have issues carrying luggage up stairs, stay in a lower level room.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 5 July 2017

My daughter and I stayed here for three nights in the "London Rooms". Communication with our hosts was quick and informative with detailed arrival instructions. We were warmly welcomed by Gayna and Simon and our accommodation was immaculate. The beds were comfortable and the bedroom was quiet, despite being in a busy area. The bathroom had shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, shower gel, hand wash and towels. The kitchen area had everything we needed for a quick breakfast or a cuppa and again, breakfast provisions, tea, coffee, washing up liquid, tea towel etc. were all there for our use. Our hosts were available if we needed advice on transport or sightseeing, but not intrusive and we came and went as we pleased. The location is excellent, 15 mins walk to London Eye and bus stops right outside. The underground was less than 5 mins walk away. It felt very safe to walk around the area. Should the two of us return to London, this would be our first choice. Gayna has just emailed me to say that I left my jacket at the apartment and has offered to post it up to me. Just an example of the service and welcome you will receive if you stay at Captain Bligh.

Date of stay: June 2017