“Tasty but disappointingly plain & expensive”
Review of Roux at The Landau

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Marylebone
Transit: Underground: Oxford Circus
Description: Father and son Albert and Michel Roux Jr are working together for the first time in over 20 years. This partnership brings Roux's legendary culinary expertise and creativity Roux at The Landau, their second West End address. Roux at The Landau entices with classically constructed dishes offering French cuisine with a British twist. The restaurant serves breakfast, lunch, dinner and the only Sunday brunch by Chez Roux. The restaurant's private dining room Postillion can accommodate up to 18 people.
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We took a fixed 3 course menu for a party of 10. The ingredients were good and the dishes well prepared. This, unfortunately was not enough to elevate the experience to much higher than a good Sunday pub lunch. At such a venue and such a cost, I had expected at least some intermediate between course taster dishes, but no. The first dish of crispy prawns was tasty, but not more surprising than you would expect from a typical tempura. The main of roast lamb with potatoes and veg was also tasty but I have had better home made Sunday lunch. Desert of creme brûlée was tasty but not exceptional enough to elevate the experience. Good service but not special or personal. All in all, competent but exceptionally plain. Not what I expected from a Roux. Disappointing at the price.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,810)

Reviewed 30 April 2014

But I will! Foodies know Michelle Roux by reputation and his TV persona which I find a delight. Could his team deliver the goods at Roux. Without question in the affirmative as every dish was a masterpiece of perfect ingredient and skilled preparation. Gluten free no problem with a chef's starter or any other dish. Sea bass, leek soup and scallops and pork starters. Two beef sirloin and lamb with sweetbreads main and pineapple soufflé and chocolate dessert all sublime. Wine list had many reasonably priced choices and good house champagne and wines by glass.. Overall price for this quality exceptional. Service so near perfect by charming team who are so professional. So let me be very picky - remembering that this is at the very pinnacle of eating experience. My gluten free toast was beautifully toasted but they should make their own at this level. They were given notice of the same requirement. The water glasses are too large for a normal size ladies hand. The petit fours are actually averagely good which of course is not good enough in this food heaven. Although my coffee came in a pot, this was removed and I was not offered a refill. Could have asked but did not think about it until leaving and spotted pot at waiters station. None of this actually mattered in the slightest but it is fun to find what could be microscopic improvements. Was this the equal of the 3 star meal in Monte Carlo or the two star meals in other cities - it was. Why have I not been before? Can't wait to go again.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

My daughters took me here as a treat, and what a treat it was!
Absolutely beautiful restaurant, and the food was delicious. My daughters got an inclusive deal on top table, which was excellent value...3 courses, plus a glass of champagne, plus coffee and petit fours.
If this deal isn't available, the restaurant does have it's own set menus, which I think are absolutely excellent value for the quality of food you get.
The service wad impeccable, we were not treated any differently despite having a 'deal'.
So, I will definitely return, and would highly recommend.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

If you enjoy fine food and wine, excellent service, and fast turnaround times then this is the place to be in. The food was delicious, the balance of flavours was absolutely amazing. The presentation was elegant and showed a lot of thought and detail, and the service was second to none. The sommelier was very knowledgeable, had perfect etiquette and the whole experience left you wanting to come back for more. I couldn't recommend the Roux at the Landau enough and we will be dining there again, without a doubt.

1  Thank Meg R
Reviewed 27 April 2014

My wife & I enjoyed a wonderful afternoon lunch at this truly beautiful restaurant.
The food was fabulous and staff very attentive but not intrusive.
The sommelier Andre was very knowledgable recommending a lovely wine to complement our meal.
We have eaten here before and can safely say that the second time around was as good as the first.
We will definitely be returning.