“Surreally bad”

Cuisines: Chinese
Neighbourhood: Euston / Kings Cross /St Pancras
Neighbourhood: Euston / Kings Cross /St Pancras
Reviewed 15 September 2012

Perhaps we were unlucky. Our first impressions on entering Red n Hot (formerly Snazz Sichuan) in Euston were not good, however: ordered to a table by the manager without any indication that he viewed us as customers or even human beings, we nevertheless sat down and started scanning the menu, hunger overcoming our natural reaction to this unsettling start. We ordered a starter and main course each plus drinks. After 10 minutes or so a waitress brought us the main course dish my girlfriend had ordered. So we said, sorry, actually we both ordered starters. "That would take too long," the waitress informed us, "so you'll get your starters when you've finished your main course." No, we would like to have our starters first, thank you. "I'll get the manager." The manager came and we succeeded in convincing him that we would actually like to eat our meals in the traditional order, rejecting his second, equally unsatisfactory proposal that we get the starters and the mains simultaneously. With this agreement secured, the manager strode away purposefully while I was still in mid-sentence. So the main course then went back, my starter (hot and sour soup) arrived, and, some five minutes later, my girlfriend's starter (prawns fried in breadcrumbs) appeared. The prawns were good; the soup, however, smelt of offal, or perhaps sausagemeat gone bad. I'm no expert, but in my experience hot and sour soup does not smell like that. This one also tasted pretty awful. I called the manager over and asked him to smell the soup. He did so, and, fishing out some ingredients from the bottom of the bowl with the spoon, stated "that's fresh bamboo, there's nothing wrong with this", put the bowl back down and walked off, as his involvement in the conversation was now apparently at an end. So, being basically undisruptive people, we asked for the bill, paid and left without having those main courses they had been so eager to give us, and a bit saddened by the whole experience. On the other hand, Mai Sushi over the road was great!

2  Thank Michael H

Reviewed 2 June 2011

Now called Red'n'Hot, we decided to try it on the back of good reviews we'd seen. Three of us ordered a main course each, but only one turned up (Twice cooked pork. It was delicious but not enough to feed three)
We chased the staff for the rest of our food, and finally another dish turned up that wasn't what we'd ordered, and a third was dumped on the table as we were leaving. The manager seemed surprised that we didn't want to pay for it, and was decidedly unhappy that we refused to pay the service charge. Pity, because what food we did get to try was really good, and the kitchen staff were doing their part, but the waiters were just not bothered.

Reviewed 2 August 2010

This place is now called Red Hot. It can live up to it. Don't be fooled by the off the block location or the bog standard decor. Don't be put off by the minimalist wine list. It will do the job, if just. These people can put real food on the table with no carry on and no silly London prices. I had the house specialty- there are a few of those- spicy crab. This is a real treat, with just enough heat to start the fluids running without killing the crab. This is a messy dish with a lot of cracking and licking fingers etc. Not on first dates men.
Australians would find this restaurant could easily survive on the super competitve Little Bourke St strip and that is tough territory.

Reviewed 31 May 2010

Snazz has changed name to Red 'N Hot, and has been redecorated. We were told that the chef was the same, but prices had been reduced to accommodate the recession. The two of us chose dishes rated mildly hot - Gong Bao Chicken and Fish Fragrant Pork Slivers with boiled rice, both heavily flavoured with chilli and pepper to mouth-numbing level - the really hot-chilli dishes must be anaesthetic!! If this is anything to go on, I'd put money on a Szechuan-trained chilli-eater to win any contest in Mexico!! A large pot of oolong tea made a suitable accompaniment. We were the only customers most of the time and enjoyed an animated political conversation with the waitress.

Reviewed 28 April 2010

I stumbled upon Snazz Sichuan completely by chance on a recent brief overnight visit to London. I had arrived in from Heathrow at mid-day and discovered this delightful, tasty and very affordable restaurant immediately adjacent to the Novotel where I was staying. I had a very good lunch with lots of excellent spicy food. After a long overnight flight from North America, this excellent meal was just what I needed to restore me to health. That said, if I am in this neighborhood again on a subsequent visit to London, I will go out of my way to return!

1  Thank RailwayHobo