I stayed for one night as I was in Wembley for a football match, as my train back home would have pushed me beyond midnight. The place is ideally located for the business areas of Marylebone, where I work.
The good bits - hostel was clean and modern look, the impression carried through to the room and showers. The food pricing was good around £6 for a pizza. Beers and cocktails all reasonable cost. The bunk was comfortable but the pillows could have been a bit bigger, they were rather flat so I can double fold them to bring the height a bit. I had no problems with the showers, nice and hot. I was allocated an 8 bed room. I had no problems with the other lodgers. 5 of the bunks were taken.
Location is amazing, Oxford Street, Regents Park all withing walking distance, great portland tube station was 5 mins walk, Sainsburys and Tescos nearby.
The not so good bits - Checkin process took longer than it should have, 4 people in the reception only 1 serving, with the other 3 tapping away on the computers... not sure what they were doing... I kept waiting for at least 10 minutes. Not a great start to be honest, hence why I marked down the service. It's spring time and the room was rather warm even with the window open, noise was a little high as my room faced the street. Double edge sword really. I dread to think how hot it would be in the summer, no visible ventilation system in place.
Warning about the bike store.. at a push you can max fit 4 bikes but that was with some juggling around of handlebars etc.. not a great storage facility, the location is in the basement... again not great as you either had to squeeze bike into the lift or carry it down stairs. If they run out of space, I've been told the bike goes into the staff room. To be honest I get the impression the bike store was an after thought.
Some tips for those who've not stayed in a hostels before, bring the following:
- earplugs or in-the-ear headphones connected to your mobile, if you wish to use the alarm but not wake others
- use a quiet bag (ie not those crispy noisy bags) for storing your stuff as not to wake others
- flip flops! for showers as the showers often are wet floors.
Overall - I would recommend this place, for a budget accommodation it's much better than the YHA St Paul's I stayed in 2 years ago. Price paid £20.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, HostelWorld, Expedia, Hotels.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., Priceline, Ebookers, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your YHA London Central reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Yha London Central Hotel London