“Spartan but OK for what it was needed”
Review of YHA London Central

YHA London Central
Ranked #18 of 931 Speciality Lodging in London
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Very close to the St. Pancras/Kings Cross station, which is what we needed for a one-night in London, before heading to Scotland. The reception and common areas are very nice, which make you think the rooms will be just as fancy. The room was OK, quite Spartan and small. Noisy street below and no earplugs are provided.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank FranciscoB217
Write a ReviewReviews (1,223)

Reviewed 1 August 2014

I stayed at this hostel a number of times last year due to its great location and the great atmosphere, the first time was when we stayed for 5 nights before heading off to Europe on a contiki tour, after checking and dumping our bags when when back downstairs for a quite drink since we where pretty jetlagged.This however didnt last after chatting with some fellow travellers and having a few drinks and cheap pizzas we didnt make it to bed til after midnight, had a pretty bad hangover the next day but it was a great start to our stay.The hostel is in a great location only a 10-15 min walk from piccadilly circus or you take the tube,theres is a massive kitchen in the basement if you want to cook your own food its there,I'd also recommend becoming a YHA member just because otherwise you have to pay to the use the wifi and you use this at all other YHAs across the UK.Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sweedo
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

Fairly poor experience at this hostel. This is mainly due to the 2pm check in policy. This is fairly standard policy for hotels but quite uncommon for hostels, and even if it is policy, most places will let you into your room if it happens to be ready before that time. Not at YHA. They don't even offer to check if your bed might be ready earlier than 2.
Not wanting to waste my whole morning, I had to leave my bags in the (absolutely disgusting) luggage room, and to make sure they didn't get stolen I had to pay £3 for a locker (non refundable, and if you want to access it and re-lock, you have to pay again). Luckily, they let me use a shower, but had to get ready in the corridor with literally hundreds of people walking past.
I then had to check in when I returned in the evening, and waited at the desk for at least 5 minutes before I was served.
For the price, I think this is terrible. The location is good but not excellent, as it's not very close to any tube station but around 15 minutes walk to oxford street.
The room was spacious and clean with big lockers.
Bathrooms are a little in short supply- 2 per floor- so had to go to a different floor but this didn't really bother me.
Didn't use the kitchen but looked big and well-equipped.
I'd get somewhere cheaper and smaller next time as they seem to give better service.

Stayed: June 2014
NadiaA7991, Manager at YHA London Central, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience on Tripadvisor.

I am really sorry you felt that you didn’t have a good experience at our hostel. Please be assured that customer feedback is extremely important to us and we are always trying to improve what we do to ensure our guests have the best experience possible.

At YHA we pride ourselves in providing high quality accommodation with an excellent level of cleanliness. Our check in time reflects this as this allows the housekeeping team to ensure that all rooms and beds are ready for arriving guests. In addition, it also allows our supervisors to carry out a quality check to ensure everything meets YHA’s high standards. However, if a guest needs to check in earlier, we are often able to do this if this is requested at the time of booking as we are able to organise the cleaning schedule accordingly. If you need to check in early in the future, please let us know in advance in order for us to make this possible.

In terms of the lockers, I am sorry if you weren't happy that you had to pay. This is a service that we provide to allow guests to leave their luggage securely before they check in and after they check out so they can enjoy London. I believe the price of £2-3 for the lockers is very reasonable and the flexibility this service gives to our guests outweighs the cost.

I am sorry if you were under the impression that the hostel was 15mins walk from Oxford St Station. We do normally send directions prior to your stay, so I’m sorry if you did not receive this on this occasion. YHA London central is centrally located and it’s 5 minute walk from Oxford Circus and a 2 minute walk from Great Portland street, making it perfect location to easily get around the city.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed some elements of the hostel. Once again thank you for your comments and I hope to welcome you in our hostel sometime in the future.

Kind regards

Nadia Aoujdad
Hostel Manager
YHA London Central

Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hostel for 5 nights in July 2014 in a 6 person room on the first floor. I'd recommend looking at another hostel based on location, spotty wifi access, and lack of toilets/showers
- This hostel is located just on the northern outskirts of central london so don't be fooled by the name, it's pretty far walk from anything you would want to see. It was a short walk from great Portland street metro station. Helpful hint the London metro is very expensive £4,70 for one trip so buy an Oyster card and pay less than half that per trip.
- there is a huge kitchen in the basement with everything you need to cook and store your food
- there were only 2 showers and 2 toilets for the entire first floor! Go early to beat the morning rush
- the rooms were very hot with one small fan for the entire room. There is a window you can open to let air in
- wifi access only in the main common areas so no luck getting it in your room! Luckily I was a YHA member so didn't have to pay for this spotty wifi
- lockers were a good size and each bed has it's own plug
- you needed key card access to get into the hostel and then to get into the passage to the rooms so I felt safe

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I love staying at YHA hostels. They feel like a middle-class hotel for a really good price! At all times I feel save at YHA hostels and it's so easy to meet new people.
In particular I liked the private showers and bathrooms and the lounge in this hostel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank SM_Production
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We stayed 4 nights at the YHA. I chose this place because of the location and because there was an option of a private bathroom. It was also very reasonably priced for what you get in London.
This place wasn't huge but it was big enough for 3 girls, we booked a 4 person room with a private bathroom. When we arrived reception staff was nice and the whole place had a welcoming vibe. There were a lot of families staying here (I think due to the fact that there was an option of the private bathroom). Wifi is free only if you are a YHA member which i was otherwise you have to pay for it. You could only get wifi in the lobby area and it was only limited to two devices per membership.
The rooms are very basic (bunk beds) - but it's a hostel so you kinda expect that.
They weren't the most comfortable but I did get a good nights rest. One negative thing is that when showering you would kinda get the entire bathroom floor wet because the shower floor and the entire bathroom floor was the same thing (so no divider between the two).
There is only one lift and it is quite small so we took the stairs most of the time.
All in all good location - close to the tube and plenty of supermarkets (tesco) close by and very close to oxford st.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This hostel has a great location but thats about it. Better to stay at the generator hostel and take the metro. The staff is good and the rooms are clean, yet everything is else is a disaster. The lack of opening windows and AC meant we slept at 27*C. The WIFi is only for the lobby and you have to pay for it. Only two showers per floor. You have a great location just not a great hostel.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Francisco S
JamesRyan704, Manager at YHA London Central, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. I am very sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us and found the room to be too hot. Unfortunately the windows are restricted for health and safety reasons. However, we are able to provide fans to guests on request, which most guests are happy with.

I agree that it would be ideal to have air conditioning in all rooms as London can get hot for a few weeks in the summer each year. I will raise your concern with our property department and find out if there are any plans to install air conditioning in the future.

Wifi is currently free for members of YHA and Hostelling International but we do hope to be able to offer free Wi-fi to all guests as soon as our systems are able to allow this.

With regards to the lack of showers, the majority of our rooms are en-suite. We have a sufficient ratio of showers to rooms, with each room having at least one and with two additional shower rooms on each of our six floors.

Customer satisfaction is so important to us and we do take all of your comments on board. Should you wish to discuss this further, please feel free to contact me directly.

Once again thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and I hope this experience has not deterred you from using YHA in the future.

Nadia Aoujdad,