“Great accommodation for a family break”
Review of YHA London Central

YHA London Central
Ranked #18 of 908 Speciality Lodging in London
Reviewed 18 October 2009

We've been on several family breaks to London but this was our first time at a youth hostel and it was great. The location is superb - quiet , close to cafes and to supermarkets if you want to cook, and with Regents Park, the British Museum, Oxford St and tube stations (Gt Portland St, Goodge St) just a short walk away. The hostel itself is clean with a friendly welcome from the staff and a nice, relaxed, cosmopolitan atmosphere, especially in the lounge where there is a Wii, board games and (expensive) internet access as well as the bar. The kitchen is adequately equipped (no oven) with lots of larder and refrigerator space. Our en-suite room was marginally smaller than you would get at a hotel but the bunks were very comfy, even for a tall bloke, and the shower worked fine. We'll definitely try to stay here in future in preference to the budget hotel chains we have used in the past. It is especially good value if can use the YHA Tesco Clubcard voucher deal.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 16 October 2009

The location, as prime as it is for sites and landmarks, is a bit of a distance for those like myself travelling from Gatwick Airport to London. After a 7.5 hr flight, half hour transfer via the Gatwick Express to Victoria Station AND going up the Victoria Line to Warren Street (as the closest tube to Great Portland Street would necessitate further transfers) all I wanted was to put my head down. Check in was at 2 pm. I arrived at 9 am...So besides having to wait another 5 hrs for a room, as well as having to pay 3pds for a locker to store my luggage I was only slightly annoyed. The guys behind the desk were friendly, helpful and easy to talk to. No pretentiousness at all.
This being my third time to London and first time traveling on my own, this was definitely an adventure all over again.

I booked a 4 bedroom, female dorm with an ensuite. The room itself is tiny, but not a problem. Bathroom is a completely different story.
Why would the shower be on the same level as the toilet and sink? There is nothing but a curtain to separate it, so if the shower doesn't drain properly beware of the water that may possibly seep into your room. Oh and towels, bring your own. It's a few quid, as well as padlocks.

The entire place is well maintained and spotless, this being my first hostel experience it felt more like a hotel. Reception area is definitely welcoming and definitely caters to the young and hip crowd. You can hang out, watch tv, play games, use the internet (at 3pds an hour! go to a cafe instead) and have a drink or two.

There is a Sainsburys just around the corner and a Tesco Express 5 min away if you ever need to go shopping. The kitchen area was surprisingly clean and you can store your food in the many available refrigerators and shelves.

If you are looking for a place to party then YHA London Central is not the place to be, yes it's a cool and fun environment BUT there are quite a number families staying there as well. If you want a place to socialize, chill and not have to worry about drunk, college kids vomiting in your room at 2 in the morning, then check this place out.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank canadiantravelgeek
Reviewed 14 October 2009

We were 4 of us this week: 2 girls & 2 boys.

pluses:
Location is very close to metro and street is quiet and nice
Atmosphere - Staff is relax and friendly
Good drinks and food - can have sheaper then somewhere in the city
Lobby area is very cool, especially at night time
I should say that it was clean everywhere
24 hour reception
You can play Wii when children are not around (:
I liked the placement of bathrooms and toilets - you need just leave your room.

minuses:
Rooms are not very convinient (in my opinion), I did not feel myself very comfortable.

There were 8 persons in the room, and when I made my boocking it was indicated that it will be a room for 4 persons. Surprise-surprise!

I can't explain the smell in the room. We were sleeping with opened window, but it did not help much.

Some tips and info before going:
No free towels - either take yours or be ready to pay 3.50 pounds
Internet is 1 pound for a 20 mins session
You can't have alcohol from the bar after midnight (:

In total - very good place, there are some not very nice moments like terribly snoring roommade or this owful smell, but it could be anywhere. So YES I do recommend to go there.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gattusak
Reviewed 26 September 2009

Stayed here 8 nights while waiting to move into permanent accommodation. Everything is clean and new. The room, a 6 bed dorm, was a decent size and each bed had a night light and a little night stand which was great. There was also a good sized locker in the room for each person (bring your own lock). In my room there was a basin and mirror and in the hall next door a single shower and toilet. I heared that many other rooms had ensuites, and it was only the end rooms (like the one I was in) which had the shower and tiolet in the hall. Given there was only 1 shower between the six of us, and considering that people from other dorms which did have shower ensuites sometimes used our hall shower (probably thinking it was a spare one for general use and not our end dorm shower) there was often a queue for the shower and toilet in the morning, which was annoying. The shower is very small and only has one hook on the back of the door so everything gets wet and/or dirty while showering. It is pretty impossible to shut the bedroom doors without making a big bang, which is kind of annoying at night. The kitchen was great; lots of fridges, shelves and more lockers if you have another lock, and a nice big dining area. The lobby is pretty cool, with lots of lounges and tables and a big TV. They serve breakfast there (which costs extra), as well as alcohol and coffee.There are some computers but the internet there is overpriced, whether you have your own lap top or not. This really annoys me as many hostels are giving free wi-fi now, and it doesn't cost the company a lot. The staff are pretty nice - although I found some of the guys in particular seemed to think themselves pretty awesome...

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 September 2009

This hostel was great! Everything is newly remodeled and very clean. The staff is very friendly and helpful. There is a great little area to buy drinks, food, and breakfast. The internet is fast and only moderately expensive. Laundry and self service kitchen are very nice! Very good location in a decent neighborhood close to a grocery store, the London Underground, and a good park.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 August 2009

we recently stayed in one of the ensuite six berth rooms myself my wife 10 year old 15 yr old 18yr old and 20yr old on the internet the room we saw was different to ours as ours had no window of any sort just a skylight which could not be opened this proved to be a disaster as the heat in the room was terrible we just had two fans to keep us cool i said to my wife if we were animals the RSPCA would close it down as the only ventilation was the crack under the door we had to take down the mattresses and put them on the floor to get some kind of cooling this room should be closed as i'm sure there is something illegal about not having proper ventilation in the room particulary when six people can be accommadated there that being said the staff, the atmosphere,the location,and the price of the london central were just brilliant my only fault was that room i would go again but be careful to avoid this room

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 August 2009

Me and my three friends stayed here during four nights during july 09, and it was great. The staff were super nice and service minded. The rooms were clean and had actually good beds, we had a 4 bed room with our own bathroom. The accomodation feels simple but really nice and also safe. There is a card-key so you can enter the hostel even after the doors are closed (at 11.00 p.m, 23.00 London time), and in the rooms there is an option to lock your bags in an locker (bring a lock though, you can buy it there also).
The hostel is placed in a business block so there were no problem sleeping with a window open, it was also close from Great Portland Streets tube station (just walk bolsover street down) and 10 minutes from oxford st.
The breakfast could have been better but the kitchen in the basement were super nice so it was just as easy to make your own food. The only thing would be the elevator, it was super slow but -hey, patience is key!
The bar was a nice touch and we hung out there at night with a drink or a beer.

Super nice experience, and we are going back!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends