“Good clean hostel, maybe too small rooms”
Review of Clink78

Clink78
Ranked #62 of 923 Speciality Lodging in London
Reviewed 12 November 2012

I was in London for the Rams@Patriots International Series game and I have slept for three nights at the Clink78 as I needed a simple and cheap accomodation. The hostel is clean, very nice but I had the feeling that the bedrooms (I stayed with my brother in a 4 bedded room down in the basement) were too small, even for an hostel. My brother had already stayed at the Clink78 and said that the room he was in a couple of years earlier was much better and larger.

There were two bunk beds that exactly fit into the room, so there was no space on neither side of them: you opened the room door and you found two bunk beds in fron of you, that's all. There was little space to dress or leave your baggage. During the night you could hear all sort of noises from the street, as the window is very thin and seemed as it was broken too, because some "London fresh air" made it into the room, right on our heads which were in the direction of the window.

Generally, though, the hostel made a very good impression: bathrooms were clean all the time, breakfast had some choice and the guys and girls at the reception were very kind: I had a little problems with my card (which appeared not to work during the night I had to check in) and they let me leave some deposit (in Euros) so I could try again the morning after. You can also leave your baggages in the luggage room if you want to spend some more time in London after checking out.

The hostel was safe (there were many families as well) and very close to King's Cross Underground station, so moving around London was no problem at all.

Room Tip: I wouldn't advise picking up the 4 bedded rooms, as they appear to be in the basement and to be...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 6 November 2012

This is a bad choice for hostels because it's hard to get any sleep and it's definitely not good for partying. They really pack people into rooms here and the only thing separating you from the bed next to you is a thin sheet of plastic. There isn't any storage or space to get ready. The bathrooms are shared with an entire floor and aren't well maintained. The free breakfast is nice though and the common areas are pretty cool for hanging out.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We booked into a double room because this hostel had come recommended by our travel agent and was also within our budget. We paid good money for a tiny room with a double bed and ensuite. There wasn't enough floor space for both of us to open our suitcases at the same time. We had to strip our own bed of linen and deliver them with towels to reception on checkout. When we checked in there were no towels available and we had to wait until the next day to be able to shower.
The hostel was very noisy, people sharing our hallway had no respect for sleepers and were shouting in the halls at 2am.
Hostel is close to Kings Cross, and the front desk staff were pleasant and helpful.
Ultimately we feel we paid too much for a closet with a bed and toilet. Would not stay again.

Pros:
- close to Kings Cross

Cons:
- tiny room
- full of young people with no respect for others
- poor shower pressure
- uncomfortable bed and pillows

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 November 2012

This hostel has a good location very near King's Cross station but nothing else positive comes to mind. Booked a double room for the night, didn't expect much but I did expect more than a bunk bed in a glorified cupboard. One curtain-less window, strategically placed right by the bed to ensure absolutely no sleep, is the only thing stopping the room feeling extremely like a prison cell. The aggressive bright-orange walls on the entire floor and the room were also rather disconcerting. You can do better for your money.

Room Tip: avoid the orange
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2012

I know the basic idea of a hostel, obviously. I was in (I believe) a 16-person dorm. The beds were all squished together, and like the review right before mine, I walked in and it was like a bomb had gone off. People's stuff everywhere, even on the bed. People came and went all night. I got zero sleep. Everything in the room felt dirty and like people were on top of each other. Hallways kind of smell weird and are really cramped with all the people.

It's a decent hike from Kings Cross. Maybe a mile and a half? Hauling the luggage takes a while. All in all not worth the high price they charge.

My least favorite hostel the entire trip.

Pros: bedding, breakfast is okay, luggage storage, reception was friendly enough.

Room Tip: get a private room if you stay here.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 November 2012

So it was my first night of an 11-day European tour. I was hopeful looking at the photographs of the rooms etc. How disappointed was I when I arrived! It was a fair walk from Kings Cross with a big bag. You don't really get told which way the rooms are from Reception and signage is not clear for the bar etc.

I got to my room which looked like a bomb had hit it! Obviously the other guests had been staying here a while as it was a mess. Then I found my bed - separated by 2x 18mm MDF from the people next to me. I arrived about 8.30pm and no one was in. I got back to the room after finding the bar around 10:30pm and the room was still deserted. So I tried to sleep until 1 after an other more people came back making noise. The final people came back at 5:10am and I had to leave just after 6am. I wasn't impressed at all. The ensuite was tiny and certainly hadn't been cleaned that day.

Nevermind, won't be staying here again, even if they pay me!

Room Tip: Get a private room with your mates. You will then know you may get some sleep! If you're a girl...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Gary T
Reviewed 31 October 2012

Well staying in a 12 bed room, wasn't too bad. I had been upgraded which is always nice to hear when you check in.
I was also given the option of top or bottom bunk which was a nice change. Once in the room i was surprised the layout was different but it worked having panels between the beds gave that extra piece of privacy you normally don't have in a hostel.
They had a light at the head of the bed with a little locker for small items. My light didn't work which was a little annoying especially when coming back to the room late and trying to find my way over people's bags. I did report it to reception and was told it would be fixed the next day but 2 days later when i was leaving it still wasn't fixed.
Internet/wifi is annoying not only do you have to pay a stupid amount but can only access in the communal section. if you have to pay it would be nice to access it everywhere. When using the computers having to pay there to use the internet on top of what you have paid for wifi is super annoying and expensive.
Breakfast was pretty good, i liked the multiple areas you can get it from so everyone is not lined up at the same toaster.
Staff were friendly.
The place organises activities every night which is good, i didn't get a chance to go to any.
Hopefully you wont get people arriving at 2 am who think it is fine to have a conversation even though everyone else in the room is asleep.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo