“Nothing to shout about”

Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Covent Garden
Description: The Maple Leaf is a little piece of Canada in the heart of Covent Garden. The pub serves traditional Canadian food and drinks, showing Hockey, Football, Rugby, Darts, Cricket and NFL. The Maple Leaf also offers free wi-fi so come down and say hi to the team- they look forward to seeing you!
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I've been in about four or five times and generally the staff don't like it that you have disturbed their social life which seemed to be the reason they were there, They're fairly off hand even for a London pub. The place is a bit of a dive, with some old tat on the walls that's supposed to give it it's Canadian 'theme'. The food is standard 'Weatherspoons' type stuff which I wouldn't risk if the kitchen staff are as dedicated as the bar staff. I could have forgiven all that if they had a good range of Canadian beers there, and did they? not a chance, one draught beer (maybe) and Moosejaw in bottles. As a Canadian this place is slightly embarrassing and I like a dive but a dive with character and this places character is as limited as the Canadian beer.

Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Maple Leaf Sports Bar and Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Dear Robert F

Thank you for providing us with your review

I can confirm that I have passed on your comments about your visit to the management team and to the Area Manager of the Maple Leaf who would like to thank you for your feedback and to let you know that they have taken your feedback on board and passed it to the relevant teams.

We do hope to see you soon in the Maple Leaf soon.

Kind regards,

Taylor Walker

Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

I was here twice recently with my wife and friend. We were there to watch a rugby match and a football match.

It's a nice bar to watch a match in, there was a good atmosphere and plenty of TV's. Get there early to get a seat though...it can get quite busy.

We didn't eat here, so I can't comment on the food, but it's definitely a good place for a match!

Reviewed 24 March 2014

As fairly regular users of the Maple Leaf we decided to take some friends there yesterday afternoon who were visiting London. We were surprised that it wasn't that busy, especially as the rest of London seemed to be heaving! Anyway, we were planning on staying for a few drinks and having something to eat. Big mistake, the girl who took our food order had a stinking attitude and it appeared to be my fault that they were out of several items on the menu. I should have gone with my instinct and abandoned our order and gone elsewhere. The other reviewers seemed to have suffered a similar fate. When we brought our concerns to the attention of the manager he was very understanding and apologetic but hey guys, you say your menu is changing and you aren't able to order certain items but to not have rib eye steak or mushrooms is pretty poor. To make matters worse, the toilets are still a disgrace, as mentioned by other reviewers. Spirit Group, the Maple Leaf could be a goldmine for you, if only you cared about it. I'm sorry to say we won't be going back there.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

As a Canadian expat in London, I've been to the Maple Leaf many times and it's fine for a drink. I do think they could add more Canadian beers to their repertoire (it's pretty much just Sleeman --- come on, no Molson?!) and there are no Canadian ones. But it's fun to bring friends here when they visit to soak up the log cabin vibe, watch some old hockey clips, and admire the giant taxidermied bear that lives in the corner. HOWEVER, I've ordered food a few times and it is seriously terrible. The poutine does not resemble anything you'd get in Canada --- grated cheese and instant gravy, gross! Chicken wings are fatty, burgers sloppy, and everything usually comes to the table lukewarm. Also, I really need to comment on the bathrooms - they are ALWAYS horrible, to the point that it's a running joke with me and my husband - half the time there's no loo roll or hand soap, or what's left of both is on the floor.

Thing is, service is friendly and it's a fun vibe for ex-pats. They probably don't need to serve good food to survive, and I know I'll be back!

alliemapleleaf, Director of Social Media at Maple Leaf Sports Bar and Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2017

HI there,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Maple Leaf. We are currently under new management and hope you come back soon and give us a second chance!

Cheers
Allie
The Maple Leaf
Director of Social Media

Reviewed 6 March 2014

We went in to check it out and there were 5 people there at 2pm. We ordered different beers from the taps and I don't know where they get their Sleemans, but they were off. They we're out of Coors Light. Huge problem was the food!. We ordered platter to try a few things first. Good thing we did! Canadian pubs most important item is food to survive. This place is a disgrace. Had to say something so told staff the half eaten platter "was terrible". She just nodded and walked away meaning to me that she gets that a lot. You can go to watch old hockey games,etc just don't eat.....and drink from bottles only.

HI there,

We are sorry to hear about your experience and hope you pop by and give us a second chance!

Cheers