“Disappointing to say the least...”
Review of Anderson Tours

US$57.19*
Windsor Half Day Tour Including Entry to Windsor Castle from London
Ranked #111 of 727 Tours in London
More attraction details
Owner description: For over 25 years, Anderson Tours have been offering great value-for-money UK day excursions to destinations such as Stonehenge and Bath, Oxford, Cambridge, Stratford and the Cotswolds, Canterbury, Liverpool, Windsor as well as visits to some of the greatest cities in Europe including Paris, Amsterdam, Brugge and Edinburgh! Our tours depart by coach, Eurostar or train. We own luxury coaches and provide exceptional tour guides. Our tours include entrances to attractions so that you can just relax and enjoy the trip without having to organise anything!
Reviewed 14 May 2012

My husband and I booked an Anderson tour to Stonehenge/Avebury/Glastonbury for Easter Sunday, 2012. We booked through an external booking site which acted as an agent for Anderson Tours, and advertised that this particular tour went to all of the above, plus Chalice Well, and also included a cream tea at the Red Lion pub. We actually paid a little more for this tour than we had found on other sites, since it included both of these extras, and we thought it would be a nice way to spend an Easter Sunday abroad.

The tour started out well. The driver showed up slightly late, but we were delighted that there were only two other people on the tour, and thought this was preferable than a bus full of people. We then had to pick up the guide, who took her time coming downstairs, said “hi!” when she got on the bus, then settled back in her seat - ready for a snooze! No introductions – in fact, until last week we still didn’t know what her name was.

And the tour went downhill from there.

The driver was new (apparently it was his first day), and he had no idea how to use a GPS as we got lost several times, once even ending up in a tiny country lane with hedges scratching the bus on both sides. Both the driver and the guide were visibly distressed at this point, arguing with each other about which way they should/shouldn’t go, so we knew it wasn’t their usual route and we were clearly lost. Since we ended up in the middle of nowhere several times, we had less time at each stop than we otherwise would have.

The guide barely spoke to us, occasionally reading from some internet print outs, and her commentary was limited only to what she was reading, most of it being basic information we could have Googled ourselves, and most of it coming AFTER each stop - so we knew very little of the places we were about to visit, until after we’d visited them.

It was when we were getting back on the bus after our Glastonbury stop that the guide told us we would be going to Avebury next. I asked about Chalice Well and she said they no longer go there. We were disappointed as we had been looking forward to seeing it. We had about 2 hours in Glastonbury, so had we known Anderson had scrapped this part of the tour - despite us paying for it - we would have had plenty of time to walk or get the bus to Chalice Well. Instead we missed out entirely.

When we got to Avebury we were informed that we had 45 minutes to be back on the bus. I mentioned the cream tea we had booked and paid for, but was told they no longer do that either!

We were left feeling very disappointed and angry that we had paid for something which was not delivered.

I have since received an email from Anderson Tours, letting us know that they haven’t included Chalice Well in their tour for about 6 months, and saying that the company we booked through should have told us that - so it would appear that they have washed their hands of the matter. They also claimed that they have never included the cream tea in this tour. I have attached photos to my review showing a screenshot of the webpage, clearly showing the words “cream tea (included)” so I’m not sure what to believe.

The manager also told me that they “rarely get complaints” about their guides. Clearly he hasn’t read the reviews on this site!

9  Thank SSandCJ
braylee005, Manager at Anderson Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2012

Dear SS&CJ,

We are disappointed to hear you were not happy with your tour, however in the case of not going to Chalice Well & receiving a free cream tea, that is because those things are in fact NOT included in this tour.
We have investigated why you were given this incorrect information & we found that the agent you purchased your tour from was advertising incorrect & outdated information.
We previously included a visit to Chalice Well gardens but that was over 6 months ago, so it has not been a part of our schedule for quite some time, furthermore a free cream tea has never been an inclusion on this tour, (a free Cream Tea is included in our Oxford, Stratford & Cotswold's tour only) Our agents where made aware of the exclusion of Chalice Well from this tour months ago, however for same reason they have not updated their information which has lead to you being sold something that's not as specified. The agent in question has been contacted & asked to remove the misleading information.

In response to being taken down back roads & potentially being lost, the reason we use these roads & drivers have need for a GPS is because we go down roads the large coaches cannot reach & this is part of the appeal of these tours & why our mini coach tours are in fact called: 'Off the beaten track'
As for the tour manager we only keep on the absolute best tour managers whom are consistently receiving great reviews from our customers, needless to say this one no longer works for us.

Reviewed 11 May 2012

Yesterday, I took the Stonehenge and Bath tour from London with my husband and 2 daughters. Based on the reviews I had read, I wasn't expecting a lot from the guide. The tour was supposed to drop us back in London between 6:30 and 7 pm.

On our way to Stonehenge, the guide informed us that he would be getting off the bus prior to retuning to London, and encouraged all of us to do the same. The reason, he said was that otherwise, we would be stuck in traffic for 1 1/2 to 2 hours and the tube was much faster.

Just before arriving at Stonehenge, he gave us an overview of Stonehenge. He got us admission and audio guides and told us to meet back in an hour. Basically, he did the same in bath.

Then the bus ride home. It is about a 2 1/2 hour ride back to London. The bathroom door on the bus didn't open so he was nice enough to have the bus stop at a hotel along the way, so that people could go.

Stonehenge and Bath were very interesting. You could do the same thing on your own if you had a car. That would give you more time to explore the areas. The reason we chose Anderson was for convenience. We weren't expecting a great guide. In fact the info he provided, was also on the audio tour.

The thing I was disappointed about was that we were inconvenienced by not being dropped off where we expected, and had to take the tube back, or risk being delayed a long time. I wonder if the traffic would have been all that bad, or if it was a way to get the bus driver home quicker. As it was, all but 3 people got off the bus, so the driver only had to make 2 stops after that.

We got to the outskirts of London and the guide went around to everyone and told them how to use the tube from the Hammersmith station, to get themselves back to where they came from. Then he said goodbye.

5  Thank epaula
braylee005, Manager at Anderson Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2012

The reason our guides advise passengers to take the underground is because the traffic can indeed be very heavy in the evening & it is in fact quicker to get the tube then to sit on the coach stuck in traffic at that time of evening.
However we only recommend this out of consideration for our passengers whom want to get home quicker & don't want to be stuck insidre a coach any longer, It is by no means compulsory or enforced as this review makes it sound like. It's the individuals choice weather they choose to take the tube ( which is the quickest option) or stay on the coach & sit through the traffic.

Reviewed 26 April 2012

A friend and I recently did the Anderson's coach tour of Bath and Stonehenge. We were picked up at the allocated time, the location was easy to find. An announcement was made regarding the plan of the day only after the last group were picked up, this would have been about 6 stops after outs, it will have been helpful having an update prior to this just to fill us in on what was happening or we could have been told personally when we checked in to board the coach.

The tour leader decided to do Bath prior to Stonehenge as it was the end of the spring break school holidays and she was expecting traffic to be heavy. We need to make a bathroom stop on the way to Bath which the tour leader was extremely unhappy about and she made very loud comments about this to the driver which the front half of the bus heard.

On arrival into Bath the tour leader pointed out places of interest for us, then lead us to the Roman Baths. I was very disappointed as I had expected to get a tour of Bath, ie a bit of a walking tour not just to be dumped at told to meet back at coach at x time. We only had a couple of hours in Bath and those doing the Baths would have only had about and hour after to wonder around, another hour would have been better.

We made our way to Stonehenge, the tour leader pointed out photo opportunities of Bath as we left, which was appreciated. We had about an hour at Stonehenge which I felt was too long, 30 to 45 minutes would have been fine.

Although the tour was not what I expected the coach was very comfortable, it was good value for money but the tour leader was below average she was not helpful or friendly and constantly put fear into us at being late back to coach including in Bath pointing out the train station in case we were late back to the coach and missed it. I would use this company again however it would only be due to the fact it was cheaper than catching the train!

2  Thank j9dv
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I have used Anderson Tours services for some tours in Enland and it was total amazing, they are very friendly, helpfu, respectful and super nice. Their trips worth every penny. They are so good that I am going back with them to Holland, Belgium and France Sept 2012.

Reviewed 20 April 2012

I went on the trip to Stonehenge and Bath today and had a fabulous experience! I had trouble finding the bus pick up location and the guide called me and gave me directions and I ended up being about 10 minutes late but the bus waited for me and the guide stayed on the phone with me until I found it. Then after the tour was over I told the bus driver I wanted to try cream tea (I thought it was a drink) but the bus driver explained what it was and I decided against it. Then 10 minutes later the bus driver came on the bus with cream for me to try! Such a wonderful experience with Anderson Tours. The Mercedes bus was extremely comfortable as well!!!

1  Thank jennlpick