“If I only knew then what I know now....”

Golden Strand Hotel
Ranked #299 of 557 London B&B and Inns
Skokie, Illinois
“If I only knew then what I know now....”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

While the staff persons (I met) were friendly and tried their might to be helpful, the hotel is in a word dreadful. It's not due to cleanliness issues, but lack of space and convenience. The "hotel" is converted house and the rooms are painfully small. Mine was essentially a closet under the roof up about 65 stairs from reception. (There is no lift and I wondered about evacuation in case of fire.) Even a small dorm room is palatial by comparison. The bed had only one pillow and a comforter. What do you do with that when it's warm outside and the roof's been baking all day? The limit was reached for me when, since they couldn't find the extra pillow I requested in any of their other hotels or this one, I had to buy one of my own.But I guess this is par for London, which is way overrated as a destination due to, among other things, massive human congestion on every street and sidewalk, breathtaking expensiveness in every area for quite inferior products, and the native English who are, with some few exceptions, generally quite rude. Really the best part of my trip to London on business was leaving it and the very sub-par hotel I was staying in. Never again.

Room Tip: Find somewhere else to stay.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank TheEyeTem

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

This is minimalistic hotel for people, who wants cheap stay, but still want value for their money. The great thing about it that for very competitive price you get breakfast as well. Moreover, hotel staff are very helpful! You can enter hotel any time in 24h, so that means you can go to town without worrying to get to your room later.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Staffs
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We were booked in at the royal London hotel but on arrival were told that we were actually going to be staying at the Saba hotel actual words were "you have nice big room at other hotel" after a five minute walk to the Saba hotel we were told that no we were staying at yet another hotel just up the road when we eventually got to the next hotel the golden strand we were not even on the booking list however this was booked months ago after some more confusion we were directed to our room! Room would not be a word I would use to describe what we were stayin in more of a cell! The "room" was a box with a bed and an old computer desk with a tea tray on the top the bathroom the same I we ha been staying any longer than a night I would have demanded a change of room. We didn't hang around for our breakfast of cornflakes and eggs and it out as soon as we could and had a lovely breakfast in a cafe up the road! Avoid this chain of hotels at all costs!!!

• Stayed May 2014

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

lincolnshire
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

Classic case of you get what you pay for. Rooms adequately clean but with a few rough edges, very compact en suite!
Don't expect a full English for breakfast but the scrambled eggs that were on offer were very good.
Overall a cheap place to stay in the capital, all be it on the outskirts.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Lee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Adequate hotel for price paid. Staff very helpful and friendly (both prior to stay and during stay). Good location for transport links into the City. Plenty on doorstep if you don't want to travel on an evening. No lift and we were on top floor - which is 3rd. We were OK, just about, but parents would have struggled. Didn't get chance to sample breakfast but that's my fault, not theirs. Family told me it was OK. Situated on a fairly busy road, so having windows open overnight caused some noise. Shower towels are fairly small, just over hand towel size, so did struggle a little after a shower.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Golden Strand last year for 4 nights while we attended an event at Olympia. It was adequate and the location was convenient so decided to book in again this year as we were attending the same event.
When we arrived we couldn't get an answer at the door or on the telephone and were left on the door step for 20 minutes with our luggage. Eventually another guest let us in, but there was no one in reception so were unable to check into our rooms. After another 20 minutes a guy turned up and informed us that we wouldn't be staying at the Golden Strand, we'd in fact be staying at their sister hotel a few doors away.
We checked in and went to our rooms, which looked clean. But the bathroom was that small the toilet had been installed at an angle to fit it in and it was a struggle to close the door when using it and when you used the shower you had to get dried in the cubicle as there was no space in the bathroom to get dried. There was also mould all over the ceiling and after a restless night of not much sleep due to the bed being so uncomfortable I could see the mattress, which was disgusting and covered in stains.
The girls making breakfast couldn't cope with the number of guests and the wait was lengthy, one morning I had to leave without breakfast as we had waited so long that the event was due to start. The ironing board was attached to the wall along its length so it was impossible to use it.
On a plus, the staff were all very friendly and the rooms were cleaned daily.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Helen B
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Extremely noisy. Not much privacy. Extremely dirty bathroom. Very grimey. We were on the groundfloor and the window would not lock or close properly. You could also hear the guys in the reception very clearly so again a slight lack of privacy. I am a student so am used to gross places although the bathroom even made disgusted. However it was 50 for the night so you get what you pay for I guess. They lied about the breakfast too. No BACON. RAAAAAMPAGEEE

Room Tip: dont go for ground floor.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces