“Hot Szechuan Chinese near Liverpool Street Station”
Review of My Old Place

My Old Place
Ranked #4,244 of 24,250 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$16 - US$39
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Spitalfields
Reviewed 6 June 2011

I was introduced to this place for lunch at work, the dishes a Szechuan and can be on the spicey side, but there are also milder dishes available. The service may have been geared for lunch and speedily blunt. The atmosphere was interesting with Chinese movies played on TV - could also be worth a visit for karaoke after work??

Reviewed 1 April 2011

I came here with a couple of Chinese friends as they insisted introducing their favourite Chinese restaurant to me. I'm not going to get into too much detail but here's a summary which I think it would do justice. The food is good but in my two experiences there (once with my Chinese friends and once with my Caucasian friends), I found that the quality of the food and to some degree the service changed a lot. Whilst my second visit with my caucasian friends was ok, the quality of the food was inferior to when I ate there the first time a month before with my Chinese friends. The service in general is pretty terrible and no one speaks much English there. At the end of the day I guess you get what you pay for and at £15 a head for dinner you can't really complain.

I'd definitely recommend the lamb skewers though.

Oh - they have finally updated and consolidated their Chiniese and English menu together so you don't have to feel as if you're missing out on choices because of a language barrier.

Reviewed 30 January 2011

I stumbled upon this place seeing the amount of Chinese customers eating there. Thought it would be a gem in East London. When I saw how they provided the tableware (stacked on table for you to help yourself), I knew thus was authentic and was prepared to be impressed by the food. I wasn't. We ordered a hot and sour soup which had too much vinegar. The beef with veggies was mediocre at best with tough beef, and the crispy salt and pepper squid was rubbery. The lamb skewer was really great though and I see what their famous for the BBQ.

Overall, I was not impressed by the food but have enough sense to give it another chance seeing as I missed out on some popular favourites. This time I must go with a Chinese person who can read the Chinese menu. There are probably some gems in that menu which got lost in the English menu translation.

One very annoying part of the meal was that the service was terrible- brisk and short and made you feel like you had to apologise to eat there. They seemed really annoyed that I looked Asian but asked for an English menu.

Reviewed 25 November 2010

This is the sister restaurant of Gourmet san with a less extreme menu ie more standard chinese dishes. The diners were all chinese or english chinese, which is always a good sign. Service was so-so but the food was tasty, but one of our dishes was far too salty to eat much of( stir fried green beans), hence 3 stars. But I did enjoy the authentic atmosphere and it was good value at £28 for 2 inc drinks. Overall a v good meal, just go easy on the salt!

Reviewed 30 May 2010

We went here for authentic Chinese food. And that's exactly what we got, great food at very good prices served quickly. Would definitely return.