“Consistently Amazing”

Cuisines: Sri Lankan
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Always welcomed with a beaming smile and a pat before being treated to consistently amazing food. It doesn't have huge amounts of salt in leaving you gagging all night and if you like a bit of heat get any of the devilled dishes. Also recommend the aubergine.

Hard to pick individual dishes out when they're all amazing. First delivery from them last night, usually eat in - still just as good. Even delivered by the happiest man in Balham.

Repeat visitor week in week out. Genuine feelings of guilt if eating elsewhere.

1  Thank UkFloss

Reviewed 24 September 2012

We walked into Hop and Spice on Saturday night and were a bit surprised that the place was so quiet. With only three tables occupied, it was in stark contrast to the other, surrounding restaurants, but we really fancied giving this place a try so we asked for a table for two. My partner pointed at a free table near the window and asked to sit there; the waitress coolly declined to let us sit there, and pointed us at another table further inside. Seemed a bit harsh as nobody else was sitting there but perhaps it was reserved, so we were okay with that.

We had been sitting for a few minutes when the waiter appeared and offered us drinks menus; he explained that he couldn't give us any proper menus as they were "all out on other tables right now", which made us chuckle because there were, as I say, perhaps only four other tables of customers. Anyway, not a problem because we weren't in a rush. That said, we then sat there for ten minutes and nobody came back to take our drink order.

Four tables of customers, four staff and yet nobody can take a drink order? We were in there for a quarter of an hour in total and all we had had is a surly, unfriendly waitress who refused to seat us where we had asked to sit; a waiter who offered us drinks menus but never came back to take our order, and no sight of a food menu? If the place were heaving I would overlook it, but if four staff can't handle four or five tables then there is something wrong. Eventually we left and went to Hamiltons down the road, where we had an entirely different experience.

Balham has loads of restaurants: do yourself a favour: never try this one.

2  Thank CLHScott
Reviewed 15 April 2012

This is easily the best place for a curry in Balham, partly because it's so unique - the Sri Lankan curries are really different and the thali options let you choose several to try in any one meal. Great place, we come here again and again and have never been disappointed. Only thing missing is some background music to give a bit of atmosphere but the old black and white Bollywood films (silent) projected on the walls are a really cool touch. We love this restaurant!!!

Reviewed 5 April 2012

I have been to Hop & Spice on several occasions, and had take away from there too, and I have NEVER been disappointed. It is fresh, and incredibly tasty, and is different to so many other places around. It's really exciting to go to a local restaurant that does something a bit different. I would definitely recommend having the thali style dishes so you can try something different - it is usually the dishes that I wouldn't typically order that are the tastiest. Having said that, if you're going for take away and you want a night under the blanket on the sofa I can't recommend the comfort food 'berruwalla' enough!
Friendly service and reasonable prices too.

Reviewed 13 March 2012

I organised a large girls night out, there were 18 of us. We all had a brilliant time, the staff were lovely and very accommodating and the food was gorgeous and there was plenty of it. Nothing was too much trouble. I liaised with the manager before the night be email and it was all so easy, I pre-ordered lots of "thali" dishes which are small bowls of curry dishes so we could all share and taste different things. It was extremely god value for money and I would definitely go there again. All the girls commented on how good it was, we had a great night.

2  Thank jane C