“Good atmosphere”
Review of Corner House Hotel

Corner House Hotel
Ranked #769 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Got the feeling of being in a home rather than a hotel.There was ivy on the side wall, lichen on the roof, and a certain homely charm to the dining room furniture. Bathroom was spotless, and the staff not intrusive. Airport transfers on request. Wi-fi was reliable and the hotel is within walking distance of conveniences.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 5 August 2013

Stayed here in family room. We were in london for a funeral. Didnt expect much but was pleasantly surprised. Big room, beds comfy, shower great and I have stayed in london in many a grand hotel and the corner house was to be honest a lot better that some 4 star i have stayed in. Breakfast was fine. Staff really friendly and helpful, will defo stay here again when I get to london.

Room Tip: Room 201 family room quiet and large.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We can beat the previous traveller for hottest day of the year... 34C. Bloomin' heck!!! Our room was on the second floor and like an oven! We can also agree with him regarding the noise. Deafening at times!! Mind you what do you expect in London? Our room was spotless, comfortable and spacious, with a large window. The bathroom was clean, lots of towels and quite roomy too. Also, we really liked the fact that the fridge was provided. The reception staff were fantastic! Very helpful and friendly. Breakfast was fine though basic, but again the staff were fab. We really liked this hotel and would definitely stay here again .... Maybe when it's a bit cooler.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alan S
Reviewed 21 July 2013

On the hottest day of the year I was a tad apprehensive as I didn't see air con on the hotel website. So after checking in at the spacious reception area I went to room 202 on the ground floor and on opening the door had my breath taken away by the heat from within. There were tea and coffee making facilities and a decent if small telly, a safe and a fridge and overall the room itself wasn't too bad. Except it was like a furnace, even warmer than outside. Had a quick shower, which was small but adequate and went out for the evening. Came back around 11.30 slightly worse for wear, and then realised there was no way I was going to get any sleep with the room being so uncomfortably hot. It was also a few yards from the Camden Road, with buses and lorries thundering past, so I took the bold move of closing the window, as it didn't seem to make any difference to the temperature. Goodness, it was so hot I half expected someone to come in and baste me in gravy. I got up and went to reception to ask for a fan. They didn't provide them. Strewth! So I went back, soaked a towel in cold water and lay it on my chest, which seemed to help, even with the floodlight outside lighting the room up. Bed was quite comfy though, even if the pillows were wafer thin. Woke up totally dehydrated, went for breakfast and was totally underwhelmed, also by the half dozen or so people sitting on the steps of the annexe smoking, So I had a cup of tea and instead went to Ponti's at Liverpool Street Station for my breakfast before catching the train back to Norwich. Strangely though, if they did a decent breakfast I would probably use this place again, but not in summer. 75 quid? Hmm...

Room Tip: Ask for one away from the main road.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank MitchamboyManty
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Taking into consideration this is a budget option, the corner house is good value for money. What we especially appreciated was clean bathroom (though very small showers) and room, good and sufficient towels, and helpful staff. Simple breakfast was included in the price, and plenty available (although lots of people entered the breakfast room at the same time, the staff did its utmost best to provide sufficient toast, ham, cheese, etc.). Negative point: matresses could be renewed, seem to be overdue.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 July 2013

I spent one night in the hotel as I was going to see a band playing in Camden. I booked the hotel due to its low price and location, and I was expecting to be disappointed -- but it was much nicer than I expected. My room was in the separate building to the rear (set back from Camden Rd), and so I had a very quiet night. The room was small, but completely functional. It was clean enough and the bathroom was ok. The staff were professional and polite. Sure -- the breakfast was minimal and the wireless signal not strong enough to reach my room.

I almost always stay in much much nicer and more expensive hotels (I am writing this in an amazing 5 star hotel). But considering the price and the fact that the hotel is in London, I thought everything was fine.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Unlike the previous review, we were greeted by a grumpy man who didn't have a record of our reservation, and who then demanded payment for our entire stay in advance,

The room itself, while a decent size, was short with regard to the details in just about every regards. Hand towels? No. Glasses? No. Shower that doesn't go hot or cold at random? No. The hotel is noisy, especially on the back and the see. The bed linens were not changed regularly, and the cleaning of the room was perfunctory at best.

The pros? The bed was more comfortable than it looked (although the pillows are thin slabs). The room was a good size. The big windows are double-glazed and open for ventilation. And breakfast was included (not that it looked very inspiring).

In short, I suppose this is what about £80 a night gets you in London, but with a little attention to detail, it would be much more pleasant.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms on the staircase, and the front and side of the hotel.
Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple