“Pleasantly surprised”
Review of Corner House Hotel

Corner House Hotel
Ranked #754 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Booked a 2 night stay for myself and daughter, last minute and I felt a great price 2 nights £82. The hotel was clean, the staff pleasant and helpful. Breakfast, hot drink,juice ,cereal,cheese,ham and marmalade was 10 min walk to Camden and good bus service into the city. Bathrooms a little small, but for the money we felt a good value stay and would return if we are in the area.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 16 December 2013

It is a cheap hotel, clean, with a good heating system and the stuff was very nice. A bus to Trafalgar square has a bus-stop near the hotel and the metro is not far. For London it is a good choice if you want to pay as less as you can for a clean, safe and confortable place to sleep.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank fLaurOvi
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I booked online and managed to get a really good deal. Had been past the place so many times as I used to rehearse in the studio down the street. Needed somewhere to stay whilst my girlfriends parents stayed at hers for one night. Read the reviews on here whilst I was on my way and got a bit worried as they're not great and I thought it'd be a right dive. But upon arrival the man at the desk was friendly, place was clean and larger than I thought. Room was small but perfect for what I needed which was a bed and a place to crash for a night. Room was clean, warm, at the back so not loud at all apart from when I had the windows open in the morning but you have london outside so kinda what you expect. All in all would definitely stay here again, and for £55 you can't go wrong, I've seen hostels going for that price and to have my own bathroom and room its more than good.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Room was clean, but bathroom little more than a closet. Room lighting barely serviceable. Made the reservation months in advance, and specially had requested "quietest room because we're light sleepers" - ended up with a room RIGHT AT the front of the building, facing the actual main street and its corner, with bright floodlight coming in - there was a curtain to keep out the light, though! Could not believe it! Was told that they would change the room the next day (we had a two night stay, only there because friends lived within 10 min. walking distance, and had a full house because of the wedding we'd come to London to celebrate) and there was NOTHING done. No help in lugging suitcases. And finally - outside room door was a slop pail, with dirty liquid, and a mop, left by staff. In a word, TERRIBLE.

Room Tip: Useless to make a request - as I noted, we made request for room MONTHS in advance.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Smallest hotel room I've ever stayed in. Single room but with a double bed squeezed in. Shower the most narrowest shower I've ever showered and I'm only petite myself! Shower was blocked and mouldy due to lack of cleaning. Hotel felt more like a B&B than a hotel but then I wouldn't call cornflakes, toast, ham or cheese slices a hotel breakfast either. Miserable staff. Wouldn't recommend and the only positive was the bus stop was only across the road to Euston Station. Expected much better as hotel is rated a 3 star but doesn't even compare to another 3 star we stayed in last month.

Room Tip: Avoid 310 if you like to be able to close the bathroom door and don't mind mould!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 November 2013

The hotel is good, clean and has got a pretty good location. The only problem is that the brekfast is exactly the same all day. Toast bread, 1 type of chees, ham and some jam. I think the staff is not from UK, and we had some communication problems, but nothing serious.

Room Tip: Ask not be near the stairs, because it is noisy a little bit.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Firstly, this is a B&B, not a gotel. It seems to mainlycater for working people who come to fulfill contracts in London.
Although the rooms are clean enough, it's the attitude of staff which is breathtaking: for instance:

'The TV in my room seems not to be working'
'Well it's your own fault, you don't know how to use the handset'
'You've got very short hair....are you a gay woman?'
'......ish people don't like foreigners do you?'

I stopped speaking to the staff after this encounter of course, but luckily my employer who sent me there 'had a word' and my broken TV and shower got fixed.
It seemed to suit the staff that I didn't approach them again , as they don't want anything to do with the guests other than grunt and hand over the room key.

Although there is a breakfast which is adequate if you are a vegetarian like me, everyone from my company were bored with a slice of cold ham and cheese on bread every day or cornflakes and barely toasted toast , self served from a counter while a member of staff studiously avoided emerging from the fully equipped kitchen that was never used to provide a hot breakfast.

Also, beware pre booking a room on websites...one poor soul paid a proportion of the room fee upfront and was turned away, to look elsewhere.

In short, don't go there, it's either a tax dodge for a property development company or an illusion, I still can't work out which of these best describes the Corner House Hotel.

In a climate where hard working people are looking for work, these should be replaced. They don't deserve employment at all.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business