“Delicious afternoon tea”

The Foyer At Claridge's
Reserve with OpenTable
The Foyer At Claridge's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #39 of 23,677 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$0 - US$200
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Mayfair
Description: The huge sparkling Chihuly light sculpture and grand art deco of the Foyer transforms this Mayfair restaurant into a magical dining space, whilst the inviting banquettes of the Reading Room allow for more intimate dining. Frequented by famous faces for over a hundred years, it's the perfect venue for a light meal, sipping cocktails and the best afternoon tea in London.
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

The food here is amazing. The sandwiches were delicious and Claridges did a great job of catering to special dietary requirement. The scones were fantastic - really light and full of flavour. The Marco Polo gelee is very tasty too. The cakes were also amazing. We couldn't eat all food, so took it back in a box.

There is a wide range of teas and we tried three each. The setting is also beautiful.

The only thing that let down our experience was the service. Our waiter wasn't very attentive to begin with and then went off shift half way through our visit without handing over. We had to wave down a waiter in the end to help us. He was very good, but unfortunately we still struggled to get service again.

I really enjoyed the food, but I expected better of the service and am not sure I would go again based on that.

2  Thank Tracy S
EugeneLeonard, Food & Beverage Director at The Foyer At Claridge's, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2014

Dear "Tracy S",

Thank you for taking the time to review your Afternoon Tea experience with us here at Claridge's. I am delighed that you enjoyed the sandwiches, scones & special Marco Polo Gelee, and that we were able to look after your dietary requirements.

I am of course incredibly concerned to read that the service you received on the day did not match your expectations. It is of course never our intention for our guests to feel neglected and I apologise that you struggled to catch the attention of your waiter: this is unacceptable and certainly not an example of the high standards of service that we pride ourselves on.

I hope that his issue did not tarnish your view of Claridge's entirely and that we are able to welcome you back once again.

Food & Beverage Executive

Reviewed 6 August 2014

A truly outstanding 5 star hotel in every way. From the moment you walk into this beautiful Art Deco oasis in London, you are given first class service. We were dining on this occasion and the food was as always, excellent. Exceptional menu and wine selections. The ambience is amazing in such elegant surroundings. Having attended Wedding Receptions here, evening dining and family lunches I cannot recommend Claridges highly enough. They consistently maintain high standards from Concierge, Service to Chef. Attention to detail in all areas 10/10 - a well deserved enviable reputation.

1  Thank regulartraveller01
EugeneLeonard, Food & Beverage Director at The Foyer At Claridge's, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2014

Dear "regulartraveller01",

Thank you for such a wonderful review about your recent dining experience with us, it is fantastic to read such excellent comments about our staff, service and food!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

During a leisurely weekend in London recently, while strolling around the picture perfect streets of Mayfair, we found ourselves at the side entrance to Claridges Hotel on Davies Street.
Never having had the chance to visit the hotel before, despite our rather casual summer dress, we decided we couldn’t pass up the chance to take a look inside.
Coming in from the hot London streets, the cool interior provided immediate respite from the midday sun.
The black and white tiled lobby, the magnificent Dale Chihuly chandelier centrepiece, the exquisite floral arrangements, the muted hum of luxury all came together to slowly take over the senses in the most pleasurable way rather than a 7 star gilt-tastic hotel chain assault between the eyes.
We were surprised to find that there were lunch and afternoon tea tables free that day and we made an appointment to sample their fabled afternoon tea. Later that day, we returned, this time via the front entrance and were shown to our table in the reading room adjoining the foyer.
Most of the tables were filled with an assortment of families, ladies on a day out, couples toasting special occasions and girlfriends like us on a catch up weekend in one of the world’s great cities.
We ordered a traditional afternoon tea for two at £50 each, one pot of Rare Earl Grey and one of Green Tea which were replenished throughout the afternoon. Afternoon Tea started with a tray of finger sandwiches, chicken & tarragon, egg mayonnaise, quintessentially English cucumber, ham (which neither of us liked much) and a delicious smoked salmon in salmon mousse concoction. We were offered a second tray but in a moment of restraint, we decided to forego in favour of the next course of small but perfectly formed (and just baked) scones, served with the most delicious double cream and jelly jam with bergamot vanilla pods – easily one of the most sublime combinations either of us had ever tasted. If you ask me to imagine what angels might eat in heaven, this duet of cream and jam must surely figure as part of their staple diet.
We took a breather over two fresh pots of tea and sat back to people watch for a while, I was intrigued at the Day-Glo pink tubing of marshmallow under a glass case which was elegantly cut and speared with a candle and brought to many birthday tables throughout the afternoon.
A final flourish was the tray of sweet pastries, exquisitely put together and looking almost too perfect to touch. Touch them we did however, and with relish. The chocolate macaroon turned out to look better than it tasted and the key lime mini-pie left me defeated for no reason other than I simply couldn’t manage another bite without being accused of gluttony.
We lingered over our tea, served in the signature Claridges green and white china. Neither of us wanted to leave until we had breathed in enough rarefied air in the hopes it might cast a transformative glow over the rest of our Saturday. I was particularly impressed at the staff who managed to appear suitably excited at the prospect of serving us, just two in a line of many many guests, neither famous nor titled, who come to the hotel to sample a little of the storied luxury and refinement. I must include that even the Ladies Room was a throwback to another, more elegant era regardless of my modern unease at having an older lady on hand to lay out a hand towel and run a tap for me.
Would I recommend Claridges for afternoon tea? How could I not, we had a wonderful afternoon and will remember it for a long time, for as long as it takes until I can return there again I imagine.

2  Thank D4traveller
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Had been to Claridges for lunch and afternoon tea before and really enjoyed these occasions but our lunch this July was a real disappointment. The welcome was poor, the atmosphere lacking and staff generally unfriendly. The food was magnificent though but overall it didn't save the day and the prices they charged could be better spent in so many better places in London. We were glad to leave after our very quick lunch!

EugeneLeonard, Food & Beverage Director at The Foyer At Claridge's, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear "101Teresa",

Thank you for your review about your recent lunch with us here at Claridge's. I was delighted to read that you found our food to be 'magnificent', I will of course pass on your compliments to our kitchen team who will be happy to hear tha their hard work has been recognised.

I was however incredibly concerned to read that overall you found your experience to be disappointing: this is of course never the impression we wish to leave with our guests and I apologize that your expectations were not met on this occasion. I am sorry that you found our atmosphere to be lacking and staff unfriendly, this is certainly never our intention and not an example of the high standard of care we strive to provide.

Although I cannot turn back the clock to your afternoon with us, I do hope that your most recent experience with us has not tainted your view of Claridge's and that we are able to welcome you back once again, in the near future.

Thank you once again for your valuable feedback.

With warm regards,

Reviewed 2 August 2014

The customer is king at Claridges. I'd booked a table for 5 for dinner on Friday night and the food was delicious and service mostly very good, not just in the Foyer restaurant but at every step of our evening.
We had the Foyer's 3 course 'Menu du Jour' for £45 each. Lobster, guinea fowl, bream, pork belly all tasty and the desserts also top notch. Only one problem occurred, when I asked for pork belly as a main course instead of starter. Waitress said it would be fine to do that, but there was a mix up and I was given pork belly starter, not a main. However they quickly gave me another, so I had two pork belly starters as my main course!
Fine decor, and pianist with bassist accompaniment were excellent. 'Old Man River' was played at our request. Had drinks in the Fumoir bar too.
Restaurant was only half full despite when I'd originally looked for a table for 4 online it appearing to be fully booked. Give them a call as I did. They will also reconfirm your booking with you by text message or email. At just £45 people shouldn't be missing out on this experience.
A thoroughly enjoyable evening.

3  Thank MigsEarWigs

Dear "MigsEarWigs",

Thank you for your wonderful review, I am glad that you enjoyed the selection on offer with our Menu Du Jour, although I do apologise for the confusion with your starter and main course. I am delighted to hear our musicians were able to play your special request which no doubt added to such a lovely evening!

We hope to welcome you back again soon.