“Average”

Ranked #448 of 575 London B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

I spent 4 nights in this hotel with my family and i have too say thay, despite the bad rewievs I read, it is not too bad.
We stayed in a triple room with ensuite bathroom. Both were a bit small but it was fine as we only needed to sleep!
The bad thing were the furnitures, a bit old and not nice too see. I suggest to go to ikea and buy a basic table and a basic wardrobe and throw the other ugly ones away! Breakfast was in a small room (I suggest to get there early) and there was: coffee, tea, toast (white and brown bread), butter, jam, cheese and eggs.

Despite the bad look of the room, I think that I might book the hotel again. It is in an excellent position with bus stops at the end of the road and two tubes stations nearby( kensinghton olympia and high street kensinghton).

Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Elisaciao

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Polish first
Volos, Greece
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

Let's face it, you get at least what you pay for - never more! London is a very expensive city and this hotel is value for money. It's not luxurious, the rooms are tiny and my sink was partly blocked and took ages to drain but for little over 30 pounds I wouldn't expect otherwise.

The room itself was clean, there was fresh linen and towels as well as cheap shower gel/ shampoo, a kettle and tea cup with some tea bags and a digital TV. There were also spare blankets, although the heating worked fine and I always travel with a compact sleeping bag. Also it is situated like 2 mins walk from Kensington Olympia station, from there you can easily get on the District line. There is also a Londis cornershop across the road and a good Indian take away on the high street.

In my opinion the harsh reviews here are undeserved. This isn't a Travel Lodge or a nice family B&B, but it's a good place for people who need to stay in zone 2 for cheap.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank sunrahTravels
Abuja, Nigeria
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

I booked a single room without checking the reviews and was scared when I later read the previous reviews. When I got to the hotel, I was given a room in the basement and had to drag my luggage down the stairs without any offer of help. The balcony was a store/ dump site and I couldn't leave the door open as I wasn't sure there were no rats around. The room size was ok compared to the other one I saw, the bathroom was clean and my towels were changed daily. The 'mini bar' was satchets of skimmed milk only, no drinks. The staff smoked a lot and I always got the cigarette smoke in my room everyday. Wifi was not free but did not work and I got my money back. I liked the location though. However, its not a place that I would wish to stay again or recommend to anyone I know.

• Stayed November 2013
4 Thank Simi N
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

We just stayed for 2 nights. Was doubtful after reading the reviews but it was within budget and walking distance of Kensington Olympia and kensington high street tube station.
Room is very small. I'm 6'3" and struggled with two of us. Mattress was stained under the sheets but other than that quite clean. Breakfast is just toast and cereal and juice.
Wouldn't stay here again but you get what you pay for.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

Calling this place a hotel is overshooting it a lot. After been given my keys I was told my room was outside the hotel on the lower floor... walls not completely painted, horribily decorated, paint stains on the duvet and throws... me and my girlfriend decided to not even complain about it because we assumed any other room would be the same crap. I strongly recomend to whoever is reading this not to go. Really, first thing I thought when I entered the room was "why didn't I spend £20-30 more!?"
Hope you ignore this hotel and find a nicer one!

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mbcoelho
Leeds
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

After booking this hotel at the last minute i subsequently read reviews which frightened the hell out of me and were, in my opinion, a little over the top.

This hotel is situated a short walk from Kensington high street and palace and only a bus journey from central London if your legs cannot carry you - location perfect!

Our room was a basement room with large windows, it was en-suite and came equipped with a flat screen tv, mini bar style fridge, safe, wardrobe and hairdryer. Towels and bedding were clean and changed every day. The shower room is wet room style and a little odd at first glance but has hot powerful water and is clean.

We paid £60 per night for our room so never expected the Ritz bit we were pleasantly surprised especially after reading some of the horrible comments. Staff were accommodating and polite and provided an iron and toilet roll on request.

Breakfast was a simple affair with cereal, toast, juice and preserves or cheese but all were fresh and chilled.

The only complaints we have about our stay was that the radiator was permanently on high and the room became too warm quickly if windows weren't open. Saying that there was a fan in the room and if the room had been freezing we wouldn't have been happy either!

Overall a little tired but clean and great value for menu with a tremendous gastro pub on the doorstep.

• Stayed October 2013
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013 via mobile

I wanted to find this hotel acceptable. I know exactly where your money gets you in London having lived here. A crappy hotel in central is okay if it's clean, safe, and doesn't cause any bodily harm. But, this place is truly just overpriced and phenomenally bad. So bad, I was left ill from the worst air quality I've ever experienced and literally begging to switch hotels.

What you get:

Staff that may or may not care (but I can't blame them, to be honest)

A clean room (when they bother to clean it and if you have a newly renovated one)

A skylight (no window) with a birds nest covering it.

A central location

.......

Sorry, can't think of anything else positive.

What I can say is that I have never once complained of air quality in my life, even in China, until I stayed here.

What you do end up with is this:

A windowless depressing box of a room, that forever perpetuates your lingering jetlag until you become a zombie of your former self.

An airless box that sucks every bit of ambition from your body as it pollutes your lungs with the dust/dead skin of yourself and all those before you. Your body wheezes and gaps for life, begging you to leave every time you re - enter.

Lack of maid service, because you live in a windowless cave you succumb to unnatural sleep patterns, driving yourself further into disgust add well as filth since maid service never works past 11am. We currently have a mount everest of towels in the bathroom and sheets filed with food.

The raspy voice of a 75yr old smoker, due to the recycled air in your room. Buy strepsils..... You'll need them.

A contorted spine from sleeping on their plywood, sorry, feather, mattresses.

A headache from all of the desperate crying you'll do when trying to be resolute and pretending you won't do anything to switch hotels.

Like I said, I wanted to like this place for price and location. I'm a realist. But I'm sitting here in dirty sheets, ill from the air quality that should be reported to the council, desperate to leave this depressing, windowless cave.

It's terrible. Don't stay here.

• Stayed September 2013