“Excellent stay”

Ranked #448 of 573 London B&B and Inns
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Excellent stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

Stayed with my son - booked twin room - given a triple. Very clean and quiet - good facilities in room - even a fridge! nice pub with decent grub opposite. Close to amenities, bus stops and within walking distance of a couple of tube stations. What really made this hotel stay stand out was the absolutely fantastic customer service. The guy on reception chatted, gave us a map, told us the best routes, - couldnt do enough to help. Stay again? Definitely. Booking for a weekend in summer

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Mena B, General Manager at Holland Inn Hotel, responded to this review, 10 April 2015
Many thanks for your good review. We would like to see you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Polish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

Poor air conditioning, practically a sauna. Hardly slept as it was stuffy! Room size was average, clean towels and bed linen. Shower was good but head was not adjustable so not ideal for short people. Brilliant location though.

• Stayed April 2014
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

Well I will keep this as short as I can.
This hotel is by far the worst I have ever stayed in and I have stayed in over 100 easy.

DAY 1. We first got put in what can only be described as the old cleaning cupboard (no room to swing a cat, no window, 2 single beds crammed together) it was smaller than the average box room/office you'd have in a house.
We were moved to there sister hotel after explaining the room was unsuitable which was a mile down the road. In to the basement where the room was bigger with a window but very unclean!!!
Day 2. Breakfast was under average just cornflakes and toast which you made yourself.
On the evening of day 2 after a long day at the wedding show in olympia we were told to go back to the original hotel ( holland inn) where we were moved to room to which we were lead to belive in there eyes was there biggest and best room in the hotel? This was great news to our ears and we really belived we were gonna have a good nights sleep in a clean and tidy room well it was far from any of that.... the sheets were dirty the bedside cabinet had blood in the radiator was smothered in thick black dust, mould on the walls that were painted over due to this or the lack of air supply to the hotel we both woke up with awful throats and bunged up sinuses now wait for it the shower was unsafe as the doors were all broken and the shower fitting was not eligible to move at all so therefore just sprayed you in the face!!! If you didnt want to wash your hair to late you had no choice!!! Subsequently due to this I was totally unaware that the water was going out on to the tiled floor where I slipped onto my back and elbow. The receptionist was called immediately and had no interest in helping us at all by saying no one could help till monday and that he could not action a refund either he said he would also bring us towels which he never did and to top it wouldnt even move us rooms so we could at least have a safe shower.My friend also had a fall on the sunday which has caused alot of destress to her all due to the lack of customer service provided.
Basically these people do not care about how you feel. Your treated like an animal once they have your money!!!
I really hope they sort this place out for there own benefit. I can deal with staying in most places but this was an absolute joke!!! I can stomach a bit of dirt but when its peoples safety this place doesnt even come close to meeting the standards a hotel should.

Please save your money people as it would be better spent throwing it down a drain.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank burv
Milton Keynes
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

The room was absolutely tiny with no proper wardrobe or drawer space. There were a couple of clothes hangers on a rail. We tried to switch the fan on and it promptly fell off the wall onto the bed. Good job it didn't fall whilst we were sleeping in the bed, otherwise it would have caused serious injury!

Breakfast was cornflakes or toast with tea or coffee, all of which you had to prepare yourself, and was taken in another tiny room with no windows.

It was very cheap, so I suppose you get what you pay for!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

On arrival we were asked to pay, which was fine, but then asked if we wanted to see the room first. We thought this a bit strange and asked why, only to be told that there was NO windows. This was slightly worrying as i get worried about the air in the room and would usually sleep with a window open. We went to inspect the room, only to find what i can only assume was a converted cupboard. The room was tiny with two camp beds, and had the most vile stench of sewage, as if it were right beside the septic tank for the building, as well as this it was incredibly hot as the air conditioning had not been on. We asked if there was another room and told there was not. We didnt really have any other option at the time of night to find somewhere else so decided to stay for one night only, even though had originally booked for two nights. On coming back to the room, we realized that the staff were OBVIOUSLY aware of the disgusting stench in the room as they had placed two air fresheners in the room to try and mask the smell....but clearly wasnt working. the room was so hot, we had to leave a random card in the wall to keep electricity running while going out so the air con could stay on.
On return from being out, we went to use the spare pillows, which had NO pillow cases and were covered in stains, i have attached photos to show disgusting they were. I was so scared to us it, i had to pull the sheet off the bed and put the manky pillow underneath the sheet. YUK! How any establishment can think this is acceptable is beyond me! The next day, on having our showers, we noticed the shower head was also absolutely disgusting (see picture). According to the manager this is totally normal in the whole of the UK....i dont believe this for a second, considering i am from the UK and have been all over the country and never come across this, they clearly just dont know how to clean properly - but apparently its the waters fault. There was also black hairs coming out of the drain while showering, again the manager denied this....NOT THAT HE WAS in the shower to no this of course! Neither myself nor my friend have black hair so was not ours. While brushing my teeth i noticed water started to pour out at my feet, looked down and saw a towel had been neatly placed where the water was coming out, which can only mean they were perfectly aware that there was a leak in the room, but still though it acceptable to allow guests to stay in it. The towel they had put down was soaked and the water was running quickly. i had to put the blanket from the bed on the floor to stand on to stop my feet getting wet! They didnt even bother to mention this, surely this could have been a health and safety issue as if we had no warning and didnt expect it we could have easily walked onto it ON A TILED floor and slipped and smashed our heads (its very possible) and this is the exact kind of things a manager should be considering. What will he do when this does happen and he gets sued, he just doesnt care about customer satisfaction in the slightest. We were only given two small towels between us, which meant using for body hair and hands - ud also expect a main towel and a hand towel - not in this DUMP!

We didnt even bother with breakfast as we thought it would be a waste of time and just wanted to get out of the hell hole of sewage and no air.

On leaving we mentioned our complaints and requested a refund as the standard was appalling and i wouldnt have even paid a fivor to stay there. you get better standards and cleanliness in a backpackers hostel! The told us they couldnt do refunds and id need to email the manager. So i did!

The manager replied saying that we couldnt have a refund as we had already stayed but if we had left we could have (although i believe he still would have charged us, considering the cancellation policy was 24 hours before, so if we had went and walked out he would have charged the card i used to book for sure). He replied several times with a load of outrageous excuses, that he checks the rooms daily after being cleaned, although kept ignoring the main points of the sewage smell and pillow cases (obviously no excuse for them then). He then requested photos which i sent have had no reply, but plain blank refusing refunds.

I dont understand why this manager is in this industry, he has no idea about customer service. I have worked in hotels for over 10 years and know exactly what is what - and this is not it. This manager has come over and turned an old house into a cheap and nasty hotel, with no real customer orientated experience. Id love to see Alex Politzie go to this hotel and rip it apart!

I hope after reading this, and all the other terrible reviews no-one stays here, its honestly the worst place. The second night, we booked somewhere the exact same way through booking.com for exactly the same price, and the place was absolutely amazing, lovely staff, lovely CLEAN rooms with windows called hotel Oliver.

Room Tip: If you do decide to stay here, make sure you say you want a window as apparently a lot of them are c...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Jude2704
Swindon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

The room, though small, was clean, tidy and sufficient for my needs. BUT the one huge drawback was the very noisy plumbing (I was in room 15, for what it is worth), which kept me awake most of the night. Other than that good value for a B & B in London.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Tony M
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

I spent 4 nights in this hotel with my family and i have too say thay, despite the bad rewievs I read, it is not too bad.
We stayed in a triple room with ensuite bathroom. Both were a bit small but it was fine as we only needed to sleep!
The bad thing were the furnitures, a bit old and not nice too see. I suggest to go to ikea and buy a basic table and a basic wardrobe and throw the other ugly ones away! Breakfast was in a small room (I suggest to get there early) and there was: coffee, tea, toast (white and brown bread), butter, jam, cheese and eggs.

Despite the bad look of the room, I think that I might book the hotel again. It is in an excellent position with bus stops at the end of the road and two tubes stations nearby( kensinghton olympia and high street kensinghton).

Stayed January 2014