“Awesome food!! Deserves 5 stars any day!”

Kokeb Ethiopian Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Kokeb Ethiopian Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,116 of 22,692 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
London, England, United Kingdom
“Awesome food!! Deserves 5 stars any day!”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

First, whoever writes negative comments about Kokeb is either:
a. competitor (lots of restaurants on Caledonian road), or
b. not able to appreciate good food.

So if you are appreciate good food with Ethiopian twist then this is your place to go!

Compared to other Ethiopian restaurants I have eaten in London, this is the best! I have been a regular customer for years and taken all my friends to eat here and they have returned with their friends often without me - how rude :)

Her injura "pancakes" are not like others, they are not yeasty and sour so you won't be fed up with them after having one. My personal favorites are red lentils, chicken dish (doro wot), crumbly cheese and tender fish pieces. These 4 are often more than enough for two people to share and you won't spend a fortune. Beer and wine is affordable too. If you wish to have authentic Ethiopian coffee then she will happily perform a coffee ceremony Ethiopian way.

I understand that the owner works hard and if you book in advance she will have extra help on the night, but this means booking in advance (day or two) and not on the day. She cooks, serves, entertains guests and cleans. To me she is a super hero with a lovely restaurant.

After we discovered her little place on Roman Way, I have not eaten Ethiopian food anywhere else - I now know the difference!

• Visited September 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful host and awesome food.”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I have been coming to Kokeb for years now, the food is absolutely fantastic. I must admit a guilty pleasure of mine is the Injera, with lamb cooked in butter and chillies. It is run by a lovely host, who is a pleasure and delight to meet every time I am there.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Mike K
“terrible food”
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We ordered a vegetarian dish, and a lamb dish. The vegetarian dish was tiny ...quite bland and unexciting. The lamb dish was totally inedible and even though we left half of it in the plate, we still had a stomach ache afterwards.
We were very disappointed as we had read good reviews about the place.
There are certainly better Ethiopian restaurants in London.

• Visited August 2013
4 Thank Matemo
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing food, wonderful host!”
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Well this is my first ever review, I felt compelled to write it after having such a great experience! We had never eaten Ethiopian food so we were unsure what to expect. We tried a starter of the super veggie combo to share and this was a great way to try lots of little bits. The manager was very hopeful with assisting us with our menu choices, and recommended a couple of the dishes, after we told her our tastes. The food was incredible, and with a meal each, plus shared starter and two injera, and 3 bottles of wine it came to less than £80!! It isn't a fancy place, but if you are after good, cheap and filling food, then this is the place for you!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank McJax84
“Unusual place with great food”
Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

This is a very unusual restaurant. Do not expect much from its apearence but be ready o get into the libanese mood in terms of the aesthetics of the place. It works very well like this but you do need to be in the mood and know you are going to a simple place to eat good food. Sometimes this combination is hard to find in london.
We ate the traditional libanese way which I trully recomend or a good experience and to fully set you into the atmosphere. The food was very good
This is a family business where the lady welcomes you in and cooks. She is the only cook d very rarely her sons ot husband help her with serving or cleaning, but ever cooking.
Will most probably return even if living a bit further away from it.

Visited August 2013