“A pleasant birthday meal!”
Review of La Cucina Cowcross Street - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
La Cucina Cowcross Street
Price range: US$30 - US$60
Cuisines: Italian
Neighbourhood: Clerkenwell
Description: La Cucina Ristrorante is an Italian family-owned Restaurant situated in Cowcross Street, Clerkenwell. The warm, elegant atmosphere and reasonable prices makes La Cucina an ideal restaurant for lunch, dinner and parties.
Reviewed 8 September 2011

My partner thoughtfully booked La Cucina weeks in advance for my birthday meal. Tables are reasonably well spaced but it could get noisy if all are occupied and/or populated by rather vocal American ladies (e.g. last night). Our starters of chicken livers in a cream sauce and wild funghi and borlotti beans in a cream sauce, both with toasted bread, were delicious, the only off-note being the slightly chewy funghi which presumably had been reconstituted. Mr partner's main course of linguine with bacon and peas was generous in size but a bit oily; my spinach and ricotta ravioli with a tomato sauce, mushrooms and asparagus was good but freshly made ravioli would have been better. A Sicilian syrah proved to be a good, and not too heavy, accompaniment for a mid-week meal. The inevitable desserts trolley tempted us both to have tiramisu which was a bit lacking in both coffee and marsala. Overall, La Cucina is a thoroughly authentic Italian restaurant with tasty, well prepared food and efficient and friendly service. The total bill of just under £85 for three courses with a bottle of wine and two glasses of dessert wine is good value for central London. Although we thought the food was 'good' rather than 'very good', but we've rated it 'very good' because of the overall experience.

1  Thank DELondon
There are newer reviews for La Cucina Cowcross Street

Reviewed 15 August 2011

We had dinner there a few days ago the service was great the location very good the food very ordinary and expensive for what we had, don't let them suggest a wine for you you must go to the place next door, cheaper 100percent better over all

jetsetterandy, Manager at La Cucina Cowcross Street, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2011

Thank you very much for your compliments regarding the service, we pride ourselves on giving excellent service to all our customers, as well as serving freshly prepared, authentic Italian dishes. With reference to our prices, we feel we offer good value for money,and offer a two course set menu for £12 which is available at all times during lunch and evening.

Reviewed 11 August 2011

I visited this restaurant with a friend during a one-off visit to London on business. We had a wonderful meal, with great service. But for me the real eye-opener was what happened when I realised I had left my mobile phone in the restaurant. I had already left London, and the helpful staff posted my phone back to me, refusing to accept payment for postage. That, to me, is the mark of a quality establishment. Jennifer, Scotland.

1  Thank 186534Jennifer
Reviewed 3 July 2011

Warm greeting from this family run buisness. Really enjoyed seafood linguine whilst my partner loved the veal a la milanese.

Reviewed 15 January 2011

La Cucina is the BEST traditional Italian restaurant in London, well I think so anyway! I've eaten lunch there scores of times and the food and service has always been top notch. They have a standard menu with daily specials. The house red wine is great. Suitable for dining with clients, larger groups or just relaxing with friends. Highly recommended, two minutes walk from Farringdon tube so easy access from the City.