“Great Views of The Thames”

Afternoon Tea at The Library Lounge
Ranked #55 of 22,367 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$44 - US$58
Cuisines: British
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, View, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Southbank
Description: Offering postcard-worthy views over Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament, Afternoon Tea at The Library Lounge is housed in the Marriott County Hall Hotel. In this landmark building, gorgeous library-style surroundings offer old world charm.
Carshalton Beeches
“Great Views of The Thames”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

The views are fantastic and the service was excellent. We ordered the "Free flowing bubbles" which certainly did flow freely. Be aware though that it is not champagne but CAVA. The little cakes were lovely and the scones a little dry. We thought the sandwiches could have done with having a bit more filling in them. All in all, though it is worth a visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
London
“Wow!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

I don't usually leave reviews. I expect service to be good and the food to be good. However, this was exceptional.

The library is lovely. The shelves filled with old books with interesting titles. The tables set out to use the space but also trying to give people some privacy between the shelves. The acoustics are such that you can hear the other tables but if you don't talk loudly it's fine.

The initial selection of tea and being able to smell the different types of tea was great, and the staff knew about each if the teas when asked - the differences in flavour, how they are prepared. Great info.

The staff were very friendly and explained how the afternoon tea would be served. They checked for any allergies and amended my afternoon tea accordingly. Every time something was brought to the table they explained what it was and what would compliment it.

Bubbles truly were free flowing and my glass was never empty. Likewise my tea was never cold. The staff just appeared and topped it all up.

The food was lovely. The scones were light and delicate flavours of cinnamon and orange. The little cakes at the top were exquisite. Light and so very yummy!

Overall I could not have asked for a better experience. Great food, amazing service, lovely location with a good view, relaxed and a little decadent. Thank you for making my birthday!

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic Afternoon Tea”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

What a fabulous experience!! We were a party of 7 coming for a civilised hen do. As the organiser I made several phone calls to the venue and I had excellent service.
The experience started as soon as we sat down. The views from our table were fantastic. The staff were very attentive and explained what everything was although I soon forgot so it would have been great to have the items written down. I thought I'd leave hungry but that certainly was not the case. We had free flowing champagne and your glass is topped up as soon as there is any space!!
The best thing was that we were not rushed. I thought we would have to vacate the table by a certain time but this was not the case. This meant the afternoon was not rushed and we could take our time over the tea and cakes. The after eight macaroon and scones were my favourite!!
I researched many London venues for afternoon tea and I doubt we would have found a better place for the price we paid!!
Really believe the reviews and book a table it was a fantastic afternoon!!

Maidstone
“Fantastic 18th Birthday celebration 11th August”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

What a lovely place to have afternoon tea, food was very good and as much as you could eat, fizzy is truly free flowing and staff were attentive and nothing too much trouble . We had 14 in out party. A great experience and will definitely go there again. Thank you to the staff for a lovely afternoon

London
“A Truly Fabulous Afternoon Tea”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

If you like an Afternoon Tea experience then you really must try The Library Lounge. It is situated in the Marriott Hotel which used to be County Hall. Therefore the hotel is steeped in history. The nearest Tube Station is Westminster and it is no more than a 5 minute walk to the hotel. Once inside The Library Lounge you are in for a very special Afternoon. The Manager Alexandra, and her staff (a special mention to Laura) cannot do enough to make your afternoon such an enjoyable experience. The teas are excellent and the food is very good indeed. Plenty of fresh sandwiches, savoury and sweet scones and numerous mini cakes as well as the 'Bubbles'. Sitting in The Library Lounge you can see Big Ben and Westminster Pier. It is just such a wonderful afternoon chatting to friends or family and watching all the activity going on around the Thames whilst enjoying a fabulous Afternoon Tea.

2 Thank GMConnor