“Loads of choice”

Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: City of London
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Went for lunch. The sushi was pretty good (definitely better than supermarket sushi, or Wasabi). There is a huge range of sushi and hot food. It gets very crowded but service was fast, efficient and friendly.
I was a bit put off by my pork and prawn dumpling - the meat didn't seem great quality, and was still quite red in the middle. Put me off a bit.
Might visit again if in the area. Pleased that they accept AMEX.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

I work for the company located in the building in which Mugen occupies part of the ground floor. The company is Japanese, and therefore has a large number of Japanese ex-pat staff, who visit Mugen regularly. I tend to go in fairly often too, last time being this week. The restaurant has always (I have been working here 6 years) been superb, service is very efficient and all of the food is expertly prepared and extremely tasty. I need to take extreme issue with the 3 reviews that rated the restaurant as "awful" - the information they are giving is basically lies. Firstly, the prices are not high - 3 of us had lunch there 2 days ago, 2 had curries, and the other had sashimi and tempura - the total bill, including a beer each, came to just over £40 - to suggest that this is the sort of price for people who have "More money than sense" suggests that you're either living in the 1980s or have a very odd view of current prices. £15 each? I've paid more than that in pubs in the midlands never mind central London.
Secondly, if you don't like Japanese food, then you will not like what they offer at Mugen, but that does not mean that the food is poor quality. I doubt very much that the many Japanese ex pats from my, and other companies round here would regularly eat at Mugen (look inside the place, see how many customers are Japanese!) if the food wasn't any good. Our company often uses Mugen to do catering for in-house events, and they're just as good there too.

If you like really authenic good quality tasty Japanese food prepared by expertly trained Japanese chefs, then this place is ideal. If you're not very keen on anything except pie and chips or a Big Mac, then stay away, and don't write your juvenile garbage on here.

2  Thank Simon M
Reviewed 10 January 2014

I went to Mugen with a friend last night. I have been many times before at lunchtime but havent been for about 12 months.

We ordered Salmon Teriaki and Chicken Skewers to share followed by a special Ramen. The salmon was solid and rubbery and was not fresh. It appeared to have been re-heated. The chicken skewers were average to say the least and also tasted and looked re-heated.

The special ramen was tasteless. Contained what appeared to be tinned ingredients which vaguely resembled water chestnuts.

Aside from the very below par and overpriced food you smell like tempura fat when you leave.

I will not be visiting again. So disappointing after so many years of far better experiences.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

Without a reservation we were sat at the conveyor belt rather than a table. Do book in advance if you want a table as places are limited.

As part of the meal we had the Chef's special assorted Shashimi; 21 pieces, 7 different fish for £39. Unfortunately we only got 6 different fish with 3 extra portions of the same fish, no explanation was given for this. The portions were also on the small side eg the salmon and tuna were at best Itsu size (a take away chain) than what I would expect at a sit down Japanese restauraunt. We wern't offered tea without asking, including for refills.

The food was fine but nothing memorable that makes one want to return. Lunch is very City orientated with a preponderance of suits and sitting at the conveyor belt the atmosphere was somewhat canteen style.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

I had an horrible experience in this restaurant. I am working for a tour operator. We helped our cleints to book this meal for 34 people at 50GBP per person. They did not want to go last minute so we called some colleagues to have the dinner as it was not refundable. Some people requested to have take away instead of eating in. I arrived at 5:45pm and was advised take away will be ready in 30mins. At 6:30pm, manager of the restaurant said we will need to wait till everyone finishes!! The reason is we did not tell them 2 days in advance! Is it a joke? Or aer they really useless and do not know how to manage the work? Or they do not care about their customer at all?? Plus, manager was really rude to us. He said he did not want to talk to us as we did not ask for take away 2 days before. I left at 6:35pm, very upset. If they told me before, i would never wait! This was incrediable. It was a 1700GBP dinner and we were treated really badly. I will never ever send any groups to that restaurant! Really horrible expeirience!

2  Thank El0die2222