“Very disappointing experience”

Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: City of London
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Everyone seemed to enjoy the food and it was good value for what you got.

Unfortunately the service was chaotic throughout and it took well over an hour for a main meal to arrive.
The manager was not concerned about this and did not even offer an apology.
Given the huge choice of other restaurants in the area and in London, excellent customer service is essential. I will never be going back here.

2  Thank EstherRJ
There are newer reviews for Mugen

Reviewed 26 June 2014

We were in the neighborhood and wanted Japanese food, so this was a great find. 4 stars!!

1st star: Managing customer expectations - We showed up around 9.00p and the restaurant was pretty packed. The host warned us that the kitchen was really busy so there could be a wait. I appreciated that.

2nd star: Extensive menu - I mean, their menu is like a book. If you want to sample a plethora of Japanese dishes, you could definitely do it here. What caught my eye as different was the Paper Bowl dish. It's like a hot pot but the pot is made of thick paper.

We didn't want much, so we ordered...
1. vegetable and fish paper bowl with a side of white rice
2. california roll
3. asahi beer :)

3rd star: Ambiance and authenticity - The restaurant had a fun, lively vibe, and there were several Japanese patrons dining there. The restaurant must be doing something right!

4th star: The paper bowl dish. It's the reason for this review (so I can remember to come here again the next time I'm in London). The flavors were subtle but savory, simple but oh so memorable; I could just drink the broth and be happy. It wasn't too salty at all. There were all kinds of seafood that made up my "fish": scallops, salmon, white fish, shrimp. And then with all the green veggies and mushrooms, I felt like it was one amazingly delicious and healthy dish. YUM.

1  Thank cjabenojar
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Four work colleagues and I visited Thursday lunchtime, one of my colleagues is Japanese.

At my offices we do order now and again the lunch boxes which are delivered for £6 per box. These are great and I was looking towards going to the restaurant. As I work for a Japanese company quite a few people from Japan have these which for me is always a good sign.

We had not booked and were very lucky to get a table as the place was full, the table was reserved for another booking but if we could leave after forty minutes they would fit us in.
Was asked very politely, was work lunch break so we gratefully agreed.

I had chicken teriyaki and this came with rice, miso soup, tempura prawns, dipping sauce, salad, small potato type mash. Was very tasty and my work colleague said very authentic. Food was very fresh.

Next table had bento boxes which looked great (will be my choice next visit).

Quick, efficient and polite service.

Price reasonable, meal and one beer - £20 per head.

Left full and really enjoyed the meal.

Will be going back.

Mugen is very near London Bridge, Monument tube, Cannon Station.

3  Thank jotoole2
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Never disappointed with the food here as its always top quality and delicious. Service is courteous and efficient too. Top marks!

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Good meals with lovely service which can be slow but always friendly. Excellent bentos and sushi. Only hitch is that you will come out smelling of food each and every time. Also does not open on weekends.