“Croissants were great but not the restaurant” 3 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Belgravia
Hong Kong, China
“Croissants were great but not the restaurant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2013

My first time indulging in such amazing bake goods was when I was in Paris a few years back. Having found out London has Poilane shops as well, I was psyched to taste those warm and soft croissants once again!

When I stepped into the cafe, I was hit by a wave of bakery aroma because the smell of baked goods was empowering. It smelled like a true bakery. It was a Sunday morning so the restaurant was quite busy. Didn't have to wait to be seated, though there were three of us and I found the table a bit too small. The service was acceptable but I didn't feel like the servers really wanted to be there. And at one point one of the of toasters was spewing out black smoke because a piece of toast had caught on fire and nobody had noticed! The cafe's ventilation was not good so the entire restaurant was cloudy with smoke. That was the least impressed part of our visit as we had to quickly finish and get the heck out of there because the smoke made us all really uncomfortable.
In terms of food, the croissants were delicious. They were comparable to the ones I had in Paris. I would come back for some more, but perhaps takeaway only and not dine-in.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank tangcsy

London, United Kingdom
“Well Worth It”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2013

I had heard that Poilane made amazing bread and have bought it on occasion at Waitress. To be honest, good bread in my opinion is better than chocolate, cake, cookie or desert. It is delicious and worth the money. I was always tempted to visit the store and try other things as the offerings in outlets is limited. I was around the area one Saturday so decided to pop in and try their pastries. I am so glad I did. A good judge for a place is the quality of their croissants. All to often the pastry is too dry, bread like or too heavy. The consistency should be buttery but not too oily, flaky but just doughy enough to have a good body and texture. Its hard to explain but having had so many bad ones, when I have one correctly baked, its obvious. This was perfect. It had a lovely balance of flavor. It was not too sweet and tasted fresh not as though it was full of preservatives so pro long it. I also bought a coffee which was smooth and mild. It was fresh and passed the test of being drinkable without milk. All too often coffee is too watery and bitter and the only option is to disguise it with milk and sugar. I would suggest to go and try all on offer.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Sarah K
Franklin Square, New York
“disappointed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2012

So much noise for that???
So disappointed by their famous bread, and their croissants,
I tasted some better than these,
And the service could have been better
The price was really high and for what? Nothing exceptional.
POILANE had good publicity to give them a good reputation but its not worth it!

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank fifilabellevie
London, England, United Kingdom
“The best bread in London”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2012

Try the new Poilane behind Peter Jones.
Great for brunch and tartines which if you are lucky they serve with soup.
Not only the best ever sour dough but wonderful croissants.
Nice modern deco and oh so convenient for smart shoppers or lazy Sunday brunch.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank bibissima
North Carolina
“Wow, what a croissant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

I love the bread and pastries sold here. It is very convenient and quick, but be sure and carefully articulate your order. My server's English was limited.

Visited April 2012