“Clean, Comfy, I liked it”

YHA London St Pauls
Ranked #49 of 843 Speciality Lodging in London
Henderson, Nevada
“Clean, Comfy, I liked it”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

This is the first hostel I had ever stayed in. I was kinda nervous about rooming with strangers and sharing bathrooms and showers, but this place was great.The room I was in had 6 beds and was clean and neat. The bathrooms and showers were right outside and there was a sink and mirror in the room. Each bunk had a large locker so my stuff was safe. There was only one two plug electrical socket which was constantly being used by the other girls staying in the room, but the staff who was very nice and friendly charged my phone and tablet at the front desk for me.

I didn't spend a whole lot of time at the hostel so I can't really say too much about the common areas, but they do have a nice big dining area. I liked being able to go there later in the evening and have a nice big table to eat at and spread out my notebook and nerdy, touristy guidebook to plan out the rest of my trip.

The location was good. Right across the street from St. Pauls Cathedral. It was close to the tube and it was a nice safe area to wander around.

The one thing that bugged me a little was there would be a bell that would ring from somewhere outside that would wake me up. I was able to quickly fall asleep again so it wasn't a huge deal but it happened every night I stayed there. I don't know where the bell ringing was coming from, probably not St. Pauls, maybe from the Thames since the hostel is right next to the river, or if the ringing could only be heard from the section my room was in, but if you're a light sleeper that might be a problem.

Overall, I really liked the place and would definitely stay here on my next trip.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Lee A
YHAStPauls, Manager at YHA London St Pauls, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Hi Lee A,

Thanks for your great review, we appreciate you taking the time to review us, Im pleased you enjoyed our refurbished restaurant area and found it light and spacious. Unfortunately the bell does come from the Cathedral something we are used to, however Im pleased you would choose YHA St Pauls again, looking forward to welcoming you back,

Regards
Hostel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reno
Reviewed 24 September 2013

The staff here is amazingly friendly and helpful, and really do try to ensure you have a great experience in London.

Unlikely some hostels, there's a good mixture of ages, spanning the gauntlet from teens to even a few seniors.

The rooms don't have wifi (only in the lounge), and they are a bit worn, but I found it to be as clean and tidy as any other hostel I've stayed in. Additionally, the central location (St Paul's, The Globe, etc) and low price make this one of my favorite choices for hostels in London.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Brent B
Hi Brent,
Thanks for taking the time to review us at St Pauls, Im pleased you found us to be clean and tidy and really pleased you found the team amazingly friendly, I will of course pass on your comments to the team, we look forward to welcoming you back in he not too distant future,

Regards
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Clean and comfortable as most YHAs. However, I arrived a little after midnight, on September 2, and was told there isn't free WiFi even for members. However, there is a Trip Advisor review, with a management response, saying that WiFi will be free for members from the beginning of September, but the receptionist who checked me in wanted to charge me.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank yesforauthentic
YHAStPauls, Manager at YHA London St Pauls, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
Hi Charles,

Thanks for your review and am pleased that you found us to be clean and comfortable, however I am slightly disappointed that you were unable to get free WIFI. From 2nd September all of our members are entitled to free WIFI and I have briefed my team on this so I apologise that this was not the case when you arrived. All feedback is treated as constructive so I would like to have the opportunity to discuss further with you. I have sent you a personal e-mail with my contact details.

Deinze, Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Reviewed 3 September 2013

this was the first hostel I ever went to, and I must say tha it was a great experience! The rooms, toilets and showers were clean, the staff very friendly. the breakfast was basic, but OK. I would recommend it especially for it's location. It's just across St. Paul's cathedral and near the subway and the river Thames. only negative point was the noise coming from the street early in the morning.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
YHAStPauls, Manager at YHA London St Pauls, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
HI Margot,

Your 1st visit to a hostel, Welcome to the YHA, Thanks for you great comments, our team will be pleased to hear your comments as they pride themselves on great customer service. All of our team believe strongly in our customer charter and we can see by your review that we achieve what we strive for.
We really look forward to welcoming you to YHA England & Wales in the near future.

Nantwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Paid a recent trip here with our family. The hostel is in a great location, 1 min walk from St Pauls Cathedral. The rooms are basic but clean and although there are over 200 beds in the hostel, it didn't feel that busy. We also had the all you can eat breakfast in the restaurant (£4.99 adult) and this was fine for a mass catering establishment.

Its a good place to stay and significantly cheaper than London hotels. Ive been a member of YHA for years and I'm an advocate of their policy of providing good accommodation, in great locations at a reasonable price. This place fits that perfectly.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first floor - the ground floor is a bit dark.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Lord_of_the_pies2
Hi Lord,

Many thanks for your review, a great review for prospective hostelers and I will pass on your kind comments to our Housekeeping and Catering team, looking forward to welcoming you back very soon.

England
Reviewed 23 August 2013 via mobile

My third stay here. I would reccomend it. The price is excellent for such a good location. 10 second walk to st Paul's cathedral. 2 minute walk to the tube. A minute walk to buses and taxis.

I booked a single room. Very basic but perfectly adequate. Lovely view of the dome of the cathedral. I checked in late at night and it was smooth and easy.

My only gripe is that I wasn't told the kitchen was being refurbished so no opportunity to have breakfast.

Good left luggage facilities despite the luggage room getting a bit crowded of cases. I like the fact that my bag fit in a locker.

Laundry facilities handy. Helpful staff. Clean and tidy hostel.

• Stayed August 2013
YHAStPauls, Manager at YHA London St Pauls, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Hi Slippeddisc

Thanks for taking the time to review us at St Pauls, 3 times with us, youre becoming a regular!! We really appreciate your positive comments and hope they help other visitors. Im sorry that you werent informed about the re-furb, I thought we had notified all of our guests so this is an error on our part for which I apologise, however we have a brand new restaurant area for our guests to enjoy along with the free wifi (from 2 Sept) for all members. Looking forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Rome, Italy
Reviewed 21 August 2013

The best thing about this hostel is its position: central London, near St Paul's Cathedral.
There is an underground station near about 5 minutes far from the hostel, and from there you can take the central line and go wherever you want (Take a look at Oyster cards to save money).
The hostel is clean on a daily basis so bathrooms, showers and other services are almost always clean.
If you want to take a 5 people rooms though, think twice. Beds are not so comfortable and they are very bad positioned. Another negative point are the costs; there's no free wifi, you have to pay for it. Actually you have to pay for many other things which are not so cheap...

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
City of London
Fitzrovia
YHA London Central
YHA London Central
#19 of 843 in London

Been to YHA London St Pauls? Share your experiences!