“I enjoyed my stay”

Ranked #49 of 857 Speciality Lodging in London
Adelaide, Australia
“I enjoyed my stay”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I have stayed at a lot of hostels and I thought this was a pretty good one. There wasn't many bathrooms though which was a slight hassle but if you get up early enough it's ok. The bunks were ok and had large lockers. Just a short walk to St Pauls, starbucks, Sainsburys, the Big Bus tour and the rest of London. The hostel was mostly filled with families I found which meant it was not a party hostel and you could sleep well. Great central location. If you have luggage, don't get off at St Pauls station as there are lots of stairs to climb and no lift. Blackfriars is the best one in that case.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank quattle
YHAStPauls, Manager at YHA London St Pauls, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Hi Quattle
Many thanks for you review, were pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at YHA St Pauls, great tip about Blackfriars station too!! Looking forward to welcoming you back.

Hostel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 13 October 2013

OK, it's a hostel so don't expect it to be the Savoy, but you can't beat the location. Just steps from St.Pauls and the London Underground. The staff are pleasant, the breakfast was inexpensive and tasty, and I had no problems with connecting to WiFi. This is not a party hostel which is even better if you are passed the party stage of life. Lots of families and older travelers, with a nice mix of younger travelers whom I found to be respectful of the rules and great to chat with. The price is great for a central London establishment, the rooms were clean, as were the bathrooms. I've stayed there several times on quick London layovers and will do so again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank OnTheMove737
YHAStPauls, Manager at YHA London St Pauls, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Hi On The Move,

Thank you for your great review of YHA St Pauls. Im pleased you found the team to be pleasant and you enjoyed the all you can eat breakfast, I will pass your comments on to the team. You are right that there is a great mix of people of all ages , given this and the location where better to stay. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I did enjoy my stay at YHA St Pauls. I found the dormitory accommodation rather trying - there was nothing wrong with it, just that I made the wrong choice of accomodation style. But what a treat staying in what is clearly an old monastic house within earshot of the bells of St Paul's Cathedral which chimes the hour. You have no difficulty knowing the time here. Just around the corner is the imposing facade of the Cathedral itself - and it's a great thing to pop in for the morning service before the crowds arrive. A good base to explore central London, but would choose a different style of accommodation next time.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Alex S
YHAStPauls, Manager at YHA London St Pauls, responded to this review, 13 October 2013
Hi Alex,

Thanks for taking the time to review us at St Pauls, great review for prospective visitors, From your review Im assuming you were in a shared dorm, for future reference we do have private rooms available as well as dorms so its always worth asking if they are available as they do prove to be popular. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Henderson, Nevada
Reviewed 29 September 2013

This is the first hostel I had ever stayed in. I was kinda nervous about rooming with strangers and sharing bathrooms and showers, but this place was great.The room I was in had 6 beds and was clean and neat. The bathrooms and showers were right outside and there was a sink and mirror in the room. Each bunk had a large locker so my stuff was safe. There was only one two plug electrical socket which was constantly being used by the other girls staying in the room, but the staff who was very nice and friendly charged my phone and tablet at the front desk for me.

I didn't spend a whole lot of time at the hostel so I can't really say too much about the common areas, but they do have a nice big dining area. I liked being able to go there later in the evening and have a nice big table to eat at and spread out my notebook and nerdy, touristy guidebook to plan out the rest of my trip.

The location was good. Right across the street from St. Pauls Cathedral. It was close to the tube and it was a nice safe area to wander around.

The one thing that bugged me a little was there would be a bell that would ring from somewhere outside that would wake me up. I was able to quickly fall asleep again so it wasn't a huge deal but it happened every night I stayed there. I don't know where the bell ringing was coming from, probably not St. Pauls, maybe from the Thames since the hostel is right next to the river, or if the ringing could only be heard from the section my room was in, but if you're a light sleeper that might be a problem.

Overall, I really liked the place and would definitely stay here on my next trip.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Lee A
YHAStPauls, Manager at YHA London St Pauls, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Hi Lee A,

Thanks for your great review, we appreciate you taking the time to review us, Im pleased you enjoyed our refurbished restaurant area and found it light and spacious. Unfortunately the bell does come from the Cathedral something we are used to, however Im pleased you would choose YHA St Pauls again, looking forward to welcoming you back,

Regards
Reno
Reviewed 24 September 2013

The staff here is amazingly friendly and helpful, and really do try to ensure you have a great experience in London.

Unlikely some hostels, there's a good mixture of ages, spanning the gauntlet from teens to even a few seniors.

The rooms don't have wifi (only in the lounge), and they are a bit worn, but I found it to be as clean and tidy as any other hostel I've stayed in. Additionally, the central location (St Paul's, The Globe, etc) and low price make this one of my favorite choices for hostels in London.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Brent B
Hi Brent,
Thanks for taking the time to review us at St Pauls, Im pleased you found us to be clean and tidy and really pleased you found the team amazingly friendly, I will of course pass on your comments to the team, we look forward to welcoming you back in he not too distant future,

Regards
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Clean and comfortable as most YHAs. However, I arrived a little after midnight, on September 2, and was told there isn't free WiFi even for members. However, there is a Trip Advisor review, with a management response, saying that WiFi will be free for members from the beginning of September, but the receptionist who checked me in wanted to charge me.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank yesforauthentic
YHAStPauls, Manager at YHA London St Pauls, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
Hi Charles,

Thanks for your review and am pleased that you found us to be clean and comfortable, however I am slightly disappointed that you were unable to get free WIFI. From 2nd September all of our members are entitled to free WIFI and I have briefed my team on this so I apologise that this was not the case when you arrived. All feedback is treated as constructive so I would like to have the opportunity to discuss further with you. I have sent you a personal e-mail with my contact details.

Kind Regards

Deinze, Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Reviewed 3 September 2013

this was the first hostel I ever went to, and I must say tha it was a great experience! The rooms, toilets and showers were clean, the staff very friendly. the breakfast was basic, but OK. I would recommend it especially for it's location. It's just across St. Paul's cathedral and near the subway and the river Thames. only negative point was the noise coming from the street early in the morning.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
YHAStPauls, Manager at YHA London St Pauls, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
HI Margot,

Your 1st visit to a hostel, Welcome to the YHA, Thanks for you great comments, our team will be pleased to hear your comments as they pride themselves on great customer service. All of our team believe strongly in our customer charter and we can see by your review that we achieve what we strive for.
We really look forward to welcoming you to YHA England & Wales in the near future.

Kind Regards

Hostel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
YHA London Thameside
East End / East London
The Dictionary Hostel
The Dictionary Hostel
#31 of 857 in London

Been to YHA London St Pauls? Share your experiences!