“clean, large YHA hostel in good location”

YHA London St Pauls
Ranked #38 of 959 Speciality Lodging in London
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Overall we had a good time in the hostel. It is a large YHA chain hostel, but lacks personal touch in my opinion. It receives variety type of guests from solo backpackers, via , families, students groups. Most travelers seems to be focused on their own activities ( not a party type of hostel). Common area was nice; dinning space modern and breakfast for additional 6£ was satisfactory.

Pros:
great central location 5 min walking to tube/metro or Millennium Bridge
secure
clean rooms
good breakfast with additional charge
Interesting period building ( though some inconveniences i.ie no lift, poor insulation)

Cons:
Lack of athmosphere and personal touch
Only one socket/outlet in 4 bed room ( this could be fixed even in the historical building)
Unusual type of bunk bed ''Sardine beds as my cousin called it'' in 4 bed dorm were a bit uncomfortable to get in
Loud bell noise from St Paul Cathedral ( although this is of course beyond hostel control)
no wi-fi available in rooms ( even with payment)
- many young groups which tend to be loud and sometimes taking up most of dining area.

Room Tip: Rooms facing river direction are less noisy
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
YHAStPauls, Manager at YHA London St Pauls, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Hi Cezaryfree,

Many thanks for taking the time to review YHA St Pauls. Im really pleased you found us to be clean which is one of the main factors guests take into consideration when booking. You are right, we do take school/college bookings and most of the time our groups tend to be out and about looking at the sites and on educational visits, Unfortunately during your stay we had a large group of music students that stayed at the hostel for the duration so I apologise for that, is is something that does not happen that often. You say we lack the personal touch, at YHAt Pauls we take all feedback constructively so therefore welcome any comments or suggestions you may have to help us improve.

We look forward to welcoming you back to St Pauls in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Pros
-Strategic location, 5 mins walk to the tube stations.
-Friendly staffs.
-Spacious rooms

Cons
-There was only 1 plug point in a room with 6 people, so everyone had to take turn to charge their electronic devices.
-There is no elevator, so I had to drag/carry my luggages up/down the stairs.
-A little noisy at night
-Only 1 shower room in that floor

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
YHAStPauls, Manager at YHA London St Pauls, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Hi LOveFaith,

Thanks for taking the time to review YHA St Pauls. With regard to the plug point and elevator, YHA London St Pauls dates back to the 1800s and is steeped in history. The hostel is classed as a listed building so some things are beyond our control. As you see from many of the reviews on Tripadvisor we offer excellent value for money for a Hostel. We also charge devices from reception 24 hours a day. With regard to the noise at night I assume you mean the bells of St Pauls ,as we are in the financial district and it can be quiet around here. As the name of our hostel suggests we are very close to St Pauls Cathedral therefore inevitable that the bells are audible.
I appreciate your comments about my team, I will pass them on.
We encourage ALL of our guests to inform us at the time of stay if there is something they are not happy about, this gives us a fair chance to put things right, something we endeavour to do EVERY TIME.

Reviewed 6 February 2014 via mobile

This hostel provides a friendly atmosphere for every visitor. Although these places are meant to be for young people , also grown ups may enjoy it. It is full of respect, the service is good. For £6 they serve a healthy buffet breakfast and if you want, you may ask for a lunch to take away. The only observation is that there are few showers, so it is better to use them in the evening rather than mornings. And wi if is only available for members.

• Stayed: January 2014
YHAStPauls, Manager at YHA London St Pauls, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Hi MaricarmenCamacho,

Thanks for your great review of YHA St Pauls. I take note of your comments about showers, although at peak times many of the shsowers are in use our guests are welcome to use the showers on other floors if they so wish. Great comments about the breakfast and I will ensure I pass them on to my team. WIFI is available to non members but there is a charge, The benefit of buying a membership is that not only do you receive free wifi but also get up to £3 per night off your stay and many many more benefits as well. We really look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 5 February 2014

I've stayed at all 3 YHAs in London...Not a party hostel. A lot of solo travelers, looking to move to london, school trips, elderly are the kind of people you'll find here. great for me as I wanted a cheap clean comfortable place walking distance to all attractions.
If you are staying more than a week I advise to get the membership, which will get you wifi + discounts on your stay.
PROs on this YHA
-super clean, very spacious room good ventilation,
-small lounge+ small tv room w/ couches + dining area plenty of seating w/ tv
- courtyard w/ picnic tables
- location is great right by river, St. Paul's cathedral, plenty of food places, at ate museum 10 min walk across the bridge.
- food isn't bad actually and not too expensive

Possible CONS
- no communal kitchen
-since it's located in financial district, though it's super safe, it's very quiet on the streets outside work hours, lots places closed on weekends or early week nights. But it's great for night walks especially across the bridge.
- lotta school kids came and went sometimes taking up most of dining area.
- you will hear the church bells every hour...but this is a pro for me.
-no wifi unless you have membership. Wifi only in common rooms.

All in all , the only downside I can see is if you are looking for a party place or somewhere to meet other travelers. I feel most people here keep to themselves. But super cheap and comfortable compared to the 10 other hostels if stayed in London

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Fabro F
YHAStPauls, Manager at YHA London St Pauls, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Hi Fabro,

What a fantastic detailed review, we really appreciate you taking the time to complete such a review, great tips for prospective travellers.
I will as always pass on your kind comments to my team, Im pleased you found the purchase of a membership valuable, as you point out free wifi and of course £3 of the overnight price are just 2 of the many benefits.
Wifi is of course available to non-members for a charge. We really look forward to welcoming you back to YHA St Pauls in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 31 January 2014

I absolutely love staying in St Paul's YHA. We stayed here twice over December and January. We had private rooms and shared bathroom facilities. It offers incredible value for money and you can't beat its location. I love hearing the bells of the cathedral chime each night and walking past it to get to the tube is magical. Staff are helpful and friendly and the communal areas are spacious and comfy. For New Year's Eve we were able to quickly return to the hostel after the fireworks.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
YHAStPauls, Manager at YHA London St Pauls, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2014

Hi ChrissieMitzen,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review YHA London St Pauls. We really appreciate your comments and agree that we do offer great value for money especially our private rooms compared to other accommodation providers.
Your comments about the location and at night it being magical is a great tip for future travelers especially when it is lit up in the evening. I will pass on your kind comments about my team being helpful and friendly. The fireworks on NYE were amazing and as you say a few minutes stroll from the hostel so I hope you enjoyed yourself. Hopefully we can welcome you back on your next visit to London. Pop your head into reception to say hello.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

I traveled here on the weekend with two other friends. Upon arrival, we had to pay to have our luggage stored, since the check-in was not until 2PM. At first, we didn't really think anything of this small charge, but after staying for a few days, we noticed that everything cost extra. There is NO free wifi (even though the website says that it is available without charge). Upon asking to pay for the wifi, we were reluctantly informed that you could only use it in the lobby. When we entered the room, we were very uneasy. The three beds were bunk beds and took up over 80% of the room and the remainder was lockers and a sink. It was like jenga (one bed was perpendicular between the two regulars bunks). The room was sweltering and the heater could not be turned down. If the heat didn't make it difficult enough to sleep, the St. Paul's Cathedral bell clanging loudly outside the window every 15 minutes made it impossible to have a good nights rest. One of the evenings we stayed there, people were stomping and chanting up and down the halls during the early hours, making it difficult to feel safe. The shower heads desperately need to be replaced as they shoot all over the windowless shower stall that doesn't have any ventilation. The winding staircase is buckling inwards, making it seem like the stairs will collapse at any moment. Overall, this establishment needs a serious update.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank MCG482
YHAStPauls, Manager at YHA London St Pauls, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Hi MCG,

We appreciate you taking the time to review YHA St Pauls. The first thing you mention is that we charge for all extras. Currently our prices as you are aware are from £16 per night, this then enables the guest to chose what if any extras they want to add, this offers great value for money especially in an iconic location such as London St Pauls. Our nearest accomodation provider charges £90 per night. You also mention about the WIFI, it is available free of charge to YHA members which is just one of the benefits of becoming a member however our website does actually say we charge for WIFI. Unfortunately as our location suggests we are next to St Pauls Cathedral so the bells from the cathedral are not in our control. I have however checked our Duty Manager log for the past 14 days and cannot find any complaints about noise during the night or indeed housekeeping. We have a Duty Manager on shift 24 hours a day and will respond to any complaints immediately in line with our Customer Charter. Unless we know about problems at the time it is very difficult for me to rectify them, we will always endeavour to sove any guest issues at the time given the chance.
I do however appreciate you taking the time to review us.

Stephen Roberts

Reviewed 7 January 2014

I have stayed at Yha before, first time at this one but will be back. Being a hostel it's basic accommodation but it's clean and very affordable.
The staff are very friendly and helpful with info on London. A good place to stay when visiting the capital.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Blkm123
YHAStPauls, Manager at YHA London St Pauls, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Hi Blkm123

Thanks for taking the time to review YHA St Pauls. Im pleased you found the hostel to be clean and the staff helpful and friendly. I will of course pass on your comments to all of my team and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.