“Good location!”

Ranked #49 of 823 Speciality Lodging in London
Larvik, Norway
“Good location!”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Visited YHA St Pauls With my childrens choir (aged 8-13) and leaders. Staff was very helpful in advance, both with obvious room questions and with booking of tickets for sights around London. Saved us from booking each sights tickets on Our own. Also bought tickets for underground/bus at the reception - again it saved us time. People in reception was very positive and smiling!

Unfortunately due to traffic problems (Central line was closed) - some of Our Group got back a bit late for dinner 1st day. I see that it was "not good" - but if the restaurant People could be a bit more friendly... Or maybe we could get the information about the Central line from the reception?

The St Pauls Church bell - we got used to it - kind of charming even in the middle of the night. But some of the mattresses was ready to be replaced, they were not good (as in "very well used").

All in all - we had a Nice stay - thank you!

Room Tip: This youth hostel has rooms for 1 person - and up to 10 persons. If you can choose - try to choose a...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Rahia
YHAStPauls, Manager at YHA London St Pauls, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Hi Rahai,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to review us at YHA London St Pauls, Its great to hear your comments about my reception team and the hostel, With reference to the Restaurant team I would appreciate if you could forward me a contact number in order for me to give you a call so I am able to investigate further. I have passed on your comments to my Food & Beverage Manager who will address with the team. We take all comments seriously and endeavour to provide excellent customer service, without feedback like yours we are not able to improve. Looking forward to speaking with you.

Steve
Hostel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Troon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I stayed St YHA St Paul's hostel as I was down in London for my birthday.

Firstly, the hostel is in a great location, with St Paul's underground station being a 5 minute walk away. It is also only 10 minutes from the Tate Modern museum and the South Bank.

The service from the hostel staff was very good, and they were helpful too in answering questions. The downside, however, was there was a few showers closed as they were being refitted, making it difficult to locate a shower to use on some of the days. There was also an issue with the wall socket in our room, but the duty manager was very helpful when I mentioned it to him and fixed it. I did have a good sleep on several of the nights and the beds are comfortable, but on the Friday and Saturday, there was quite a bit of noise.

Aside from a few small issues this time around, it still is a very good hostel, and the £79 I paid for the three nights I stayed is excellent value for central London, especially when there are so many things to see and discover within walking distance from the hostel. I would definitely recommend it if you are looking for somewhere that isn't too expensive and is close to many of London's world class attractions.

Room Tip: Try and request a bottom bunk if you are going to be staying in a dormitory, as the upper bunk beds...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Ana M
YHAStPauls, Manager at YHA London St Pauls, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Hi Ana,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give such a detailed review, always good to help prospective guests. Im really pleased that everything was to your satisfaction, I take this opportunity to apologise for the showers being out of use but as you state it was due to refurbishment work being carried out on the showers which is now complete.

We really look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Kind Regards

Steve
Hostel manager
Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

The location of this hostel was very close to St Pauls cathedral which was great... Unless you wanted to sleep! The blessed clock continues to chime every 15 minutes throughout the night, seemingly louder in the room than outside! The beds were unusual, with wooden sides which felt a bit like sleeping in a coffin. I was in a single one but the others were on three levels and looked very precarious to climb without a ladder! The shower however was awesome! Best part of my stay :-) Can't comment much on the food as all guests could only eat the same food that had been prepared for a large group of girls staying there, it was tasty enough, just no choice. I highly recommend an evening walk around the cathedral, very beautiful! Just don't go there to sleep ;-)

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
YHAStPauls, Manager at YHA London St Pauls, responded to this review, 16 March 2014
Hi Lauren,

Thanks for taking the time to review us. As we are so close to St Pauls Cathedral the bells are audible in some of our rooms but for some guests its just part of the stay and experience of such an iconic location.
Its great that our showers lived up to your expectations.
I apologise that you were not able to sample out New Metro menu. As you state we had a group of 140 students staying with us having dinner and on such rare occasions we offer the buffet menu instead of the Metro menu although Im also pleased you thought it was tasty. Although you wouldnt stay at YHA St Pauls again because of the cathedral bells we do have many other great hostels in Central London, maybe you would consider trying them on your next visit. Why not have a peep at our website,

Kind Regards
Reviewed 10 March 2014

The hostel is run very professionally and has catered for most things you could require. Given the price it is in a slightly higher price bracket than some hostels but I would say it just about warrants the price. Room was simple but sufficient with unusual but comfy beds. Great communal restaurant/bar with Sky Tv. Really good alcohol selection from reception which was a pleasant surprise!

Managed to make it to the Sunday breakfast which was meant to finish at 10. Unfortunately the chap serving felt like it should have closed by 9 and was not in the mood to help. One poor lady had the cheek to ask for a coffee only to be told it had been filled up 4 times already and he didn't want to fill it up again! I think Sunday breakfast should be served a bit later to allow for a casual wake up. I must admit that he was the only rude person we encountered on our visit.

Bring ear plugs if you like a lie in as St Pauls is not quiet.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
YHAStPauls, Manager at YHA London St Pauls, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Hi Jonnyboyuk1,

Thanks for taking the time to review us at St Pauls. Im pleased to hear your great comments about the hostel and I think they will give prospective travellers a great insight into our hostel. Further to your comments regarding breakfast service we are looking at extended breakfast times at weekends somthing we may introduce early this summer. I must apologise about the poor service you encountered at breakfast and although I hope to speak with you in more detail about the experience I have spoken to my Food & Beverage Manager and made her aware, she has assured me that she will address the problem with immediate effect.
We really look forward welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 7 March 2014

We spent 3 nights here recently. We arrived fairly early in the morning from our flight feeling rather jetlagged, tired and keen for a shower. We were informed immediately that check-in was not until 2pm and were handed a code for the luggage room. After 5 hours of walking around London wanting nothing more than our room we returned to check if the room was ready, it seems it never had anyone previously. So if you plan to arrive early be prepared to not check-in until 2pm.

The room itself was tiny. We asked for a double room, a twin was available. The bunk beds were barely long enough to fit us in. If you are anything over 6'0 you would not fit into the beds. My partner struggled to fit. Towels are not provided you must pay extra, 2 pound per towel plus a 5 pound deposit. The room itself was tiny with literally just the bed and small lockers.

For what we paid for a private room it was definitely not worth the money. As such we would look elsewhere to stay next time.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
YHAStPauls, Manager at YHA London St Pauls, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
Hi Amanda,

Thank you for taking the time to review YHA London St Pauls. Although I appreciate the fact your flight arrived early in the morning our check in time is in line with other hotels/hostels in London. This allows us time to clean the rooms prior to new guests arriving. I can assure you that when rooms are available before 2pm we will allow an early check in. As our hostel in in the City we are extremely busy and our small rooms are booked up several months in advance. You are correct about the towels. YHA offers accommodation at an affordable price. This gives our guests the option to purchase any extras if they so wish. Our private rooms are small rooms but this is reflected in our price and a private double/twin room at our nearest competitor is £140 per night. I have sent you an e-mail about your stay but have not had any response however I would appreciate the chance to discuss your stay if you so wish.

Bandungan, Indonesia
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Overall we had a good time in the hostel. It is a large YHA chain hostel, but lacks personal touch in my opinion. It receives variety type of guests from solo backpackers, via , families, students groups. Most travelers seems to be focused on their own activities ( not a party type of hostel). Common area was nice; dinning space modern and breakfast for additional 6£ was satisfactory.

Pros:
great central location 5 min walking to tube/metro or Millennium Bridge
secure
clean rooms
good breakfast with additional charge
Interesting period building ( though some inconveniences i.ie no lift, poor insulation)

Cons:
Lack of athmosphere and personal touch
Only one socket/outlet in 4 bed room ( this could be fixed even in the historical building)
Unusual type of bunk bed ''Sardine beds as my cousin called it'' in 4 bed dorm were a bit uncomfortable to get in
Loud bell noise from St Paul Cathedral ( although this is of course beyond hostel control)
no wi-fi available in rooms ( even with payment)
- many young groups which tend to be loud and sometimes taking up most of dining area.

Room Tip: Rooms facing river direction are less noisy
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
YHAStPauls, Manager at YHA London St Pauls, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Hi Cezaryfree,

Many thanks for taking the time to review YHA St Pauls. Im really pleased you found us to be clean which is one of the main factors guests take into consideration when booking. You are right, we do take school/college bookings and most of the time our groups tend to be out and about looking at the sites and on educational visits, Unfortunately during your stay we had a large group of music students that stayed at the hostel for the duration so I apologise for that, is is something that does not happen that often. You say we lack the personal touch, at YHAt Pauls we take all feedback constructively so therefore welcome any comments or suggestions you may have to help us improve.

We look forward to welcoming you back to St Pauls in the not too distant future.

Hostel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
City of London
Euston / Kings Cross /St Pancras
YHA London St Pancras
YHA London St Pancras
#25 of 823 in London

Been to YHA London St Pauls? Share your experiences!