“Great location, but in need of a serious update”

YHA London St Pauls
Ranked #48 of 895 Speciality Lodging in London
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I have stayed in many hostels worldwide and felt that the YHA St Paul's did not live up to usual standard. It sits on its laurels as a YHA venue, providing not much beyond a great location.

The reception area had whiff of vom, which needed to be addressed by a serious carpet clean. By the time you stay there the smell may have lifted, but there are still other cons to the property: you still need to tackle the tall flights of stairs with your luggage (many floors, no lift!); the mattresses are thin; and the breakfast buffet is like a school canteen (food dished up for the masses, mostly from tins).

London is pricey, and when you spend most of the day outside all you really need in your accommodation is a great location. A really great hostel, however, offers something beyond that bare minimum, and the YHA St Paul's does not.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah_Sarah_1988
YHAStPauls, Manager at YHA London St Pauls, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Hi Sarah,

Thank you for taking the time to review YHA London St Pauls, Im not sure what you mean about YHA ST Pauls sitting on its laurels, in the past 6 months we have have had refurbushment work in the restaurant and showers and work continues throughout the year.

You state that our reception area had a smell of vomit, you are corrrect we had a child who was sick at reception (which of course is beyond our control) but my Housekeeping team were swift to respond and the area was disinfected and cleaned almost immediately. You mention another con is our stairs, we are a grade 2 listed building steeped in history. The majority of our guests appreciate the history but of course we do have many other hostels in London that have lift facilities, St Pancras, Thameside and London Central all in the vacinity.

Our breakfast is a buffet service, and "Eat all you like". The tins you refer to is a Ban Marie, this equipment ensures our food is kept at a safe temperature whilst maintaining quality. The final thing you mention is about London being pricey, I would tend to agaree however YHA has the best value accomodaton in the city all prices can be found on our website but our prices start from £16 per night, thats great value for money.

We do have a Duty Manager available 24/7 and am somewhat surprised that you didnt speak to me or one of my team to be given the chance to rectify some of your issues before you left. As with all comments we take them as constructive and will endeavor to solve any problems before you leave if and when we are aware, this of course in line with YHA St Pauls Customer Charter.
Hopefully on your next visit to London you may try one of our other hostels.

There are newer reviews for YHA London St Pauls

Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at this central YHA on a number of occasions and again visited this busy bank holiday weekend !
As usual the staff were very helpful and room was clean.
A good place to stay when visitng London

• Stayed: May 2014
YHAStPauls, Manager at YHA London St Pauls, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Hi Patricia,

Thank you for taking the time to review us at YHA London St Pauls. Its great to hear that you are a regular guest and great to hear your comments about the hostel and the team. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Visited YHA St Pauls With my childrens choir (aged 8-13) and leaders. Staff was very helpful in advance, both with obvious room questions and with booking of tickets for sights around London. Saved us from booking each sights tickets on Our own. Also bought tickets for underground/bus at the reception - again it saved us time. People in reception was very positive and smiling!

Unfortunately due to traffic problems (Central line was closed) - some of Our Group got back a bit late for dinner 1st day. I see that it was "not good" - but if the restaurant People could be a bit more friendly... Or maybe we could get the information about the Central line from the reception?

The St Pauls Church bell - we got used to it - kind of charming even in the middle of the night. But some of the mattresses was ready to be replaced, they were not good (as in "very well used").

All in all - we had a Nice stay - thank you!

Room Tip: This youth hostel has rooms for 1 person - and up to 10 persons. If you can choose - try to choose a...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Rahia
YHAStPauls, Manager at YHA London St Pauls, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Hi Rahai,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to review us at YHA London St Pauls, Its great to hear your comments about my reception team and the hostel, With reference to the Restaurant team I would appreciate if you could forward me a contact number in order for me to give you a call so I am able to investigate further. I have passed on your comments to my Food & Beverage Manager who will address with the team. We take all comments seriously and endeavour to provide excellent customer service, without feedback like yours we are not able to improve. Looking forward to speaking with you.

Regards

Steve

Reviewed 3 April 2014

I stayed St YHA St Paul's hostel as I was down in London for my birthday.

Firstly, the hostel is in a great location, with St Paul's underground station being a 5 minute walk away. It is also only 10 minutes from the Tate Modern museum and the South Bank.

The service from the hostel staff was very good, and they were helpful too in answering questions. The downside, however, was there was a few showers closed as they were being refitted, making it difficult to locate a shower to use on some of the days. There was also an issue with the wall socket in our room, but the duty manager was very helpful when I mentioned it to him and fixed it. I did have a good sleep on several of the nights and the beds are comfortable, but on the Friday and Saturday, there was quite a bit of noise.

Aside from a few small issues this time around, it still is a very good hostel, and the £79 I paid for the three nights I stayed is excellent value for central London, especially when there are so many things to see and discover within walking distance from the hostel. I would definitely recommend it if you are looking for somewhere that isn't too expensive and is close to many of London's world class attractions.

Room Tip: Try and request a bottom bunk if you are going to be staying in a dormitory, as the upper bunk beds...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Ana M
YHAStPauls, Manager at YHA London St Pauls, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Hi Ana,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give such a detailed review, always good to help prospective guests. Im really pleased that everything was to your satisfaction, I take this opportunity to apologise for the showers being out of use but as you state it was due to refurbishment work being carried out on the showers which is now complete.

We really look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Kind Regards

Steve
Hostel manager

Reviewed 18 March 2014

Room Tip: too noisy doors, making that did not work!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

The location of this hostel was very close to St Pauls cathedral which was great... Unless you wanted to sleep! The blessed clock continues to chime every 15 minutes throughout the night, seemingly louder in the room than outside! The beds were unusual, with wooden sides which felt a bit like sleeping in a coffin. I was in a single one but the others were on three levels and looked very precarious to climb without a ladder! The shower however was awesome! Best part of my stay :-) Can't comment much on the food as all guests could only eat the same food that had been prepared for a large group of girls staying there, it was tasty enough, just no choice. I highly recommend an evening walk around the cathedral, very beautiful! Just don't go there to sleep ;-)

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
YHAStPauls, Manager at YHA London St Pauls, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

Hi Lauren,

Thanks for taking the time to review us. As we are so close to St Pauls Cathedral the bells are audible in some of our rooms but for some guests its just part of the stay and experience of such an iconic location.
Its great that our showers lived up to your expectations.
I apologise that you were not able to sample out New Metro menu. As you state we had a group of 140 students staying with us having dinner and on such rare occasions we offer the buffet menu instead of the Metro menu although Im also pleased you thought it was tasty. Although you wouldnt stay at YHA St Pauls again because of the cathedral bells we do have many other great hostels in Central London, maybe you would consider trying them on your next visit. Why not have a peep at our website,

Kind Regards

Reviewed 10 March 2014

The hostel is run very professionally and has catered for most things you could require. Given the price it is in a slightly higher price bracket than some hostels but I would say it just about warrants the price. Room was simple but sufficient with unusual but comfy beds. Great communal restaurant/bar with Sky Tv. Really good alcohol selection from reception which was a pleasant surprise!

Managed to make it to the Sunday breakfast which was meant to finish at 10. Unfortunately the chap serving felt like it should have closed by 9 and was not in the mood to help. One poor lady had the cheek to ask for a coffee only to be told it had been filled up 4 times already and he didn't want to fill it up again! I think Sunday breakfast should be served a bit later to allow for a casual wake up. I must admit that he was the only rude person we encountered on our visit.

Bring ear plugs if you like a lie in as St Pauls is not quiet.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
YHAStPauls, Manager at YHA London St Pauls, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Hi Jonnyboyuk1,

Thanks for taking the time to review us at St Pauls. Im pleased to hear your great comments about the hostel and I think they will give prospective travellers a great insight into our hostel. Further to your comments regarding breakfast service we are looking at extended breakfast times at weekends somthing we may introduce early this summer. I must apologise about the poor service you encountered at breakfast and although I hope to speak with you in more detail about the experience I have spoken to my Food & Beverage Manager and made her aware, she has assured me that she will address the problem with immediate effect.
We really look forward welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Regards
Hostel Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near London
YHA London Thameside
East End / East London
The Dictionary Hostel
The Dictionary Hostel
#30 of 895 in London

Been to YHA London St Pauls? Share your experiences!