“Everyone has to experience the Continental once in their life.”

The Continental Hotel
Ranked #986 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 18 October 2011

3 of us were trying to find a cheap hotel room and stumbled across the Continental. They offered the most competitive price so we decided to go for it. We were allowed to inspect the room before deciding. On a quick inspection the room appeared to be okay for what we were paying.
We experienced the thick layer of dust on the wardrobes and some lovely thick black hairs in what we thought were clean sheets. Hot water is available at set hours of the day and you can pay £2 for a towel which is advertised in reception. On thinking this would be a regular bath towel, I was presented with a hand towel in the size of a small tea towel. This was to be shared with me and my 6ft 3 boyfriend, so was quite amusing.
In our room was a pipe that connected to the room upstairs. This didn't appear to be of any problem until we realised that this was for the toilet upstairs and each time they flushed you could hear whether the person had done pushies or ling lings. It was very disgusting and nobody should have to listen to that when they are eating take-away chips on the fuzzy tv with 2 channels. The tv by the way, made you feel like you needed glasses, even when you were wearing glasses. We all went to bed with headaches.
We were all rudely awoken and scared by the terrifying sound of plops coming through the pipe at 6am in the morning. We all lay in silent in the awkwardness and had no other option but to laugh and go back to sleep.
Another interesting addition to the Continental is the locking system of hotel room door. We were provided with a key which appeared to lock the door, but by accident my partner happened to lean on what he presumed to be a locked door and almost fell into the room when the door magically pushed open! This provided to be highly amusing as we each took it in turn to simply push a locked door open. It was quite concerning leaving our belongings in a room that could be easily opened but left it hoping that nobody else would lean on the door whilst we were gone. Before we left, I informed the receptionist that the door could be pushed open, and he shrugged and said 'okay'.
Breakfast was very interesting in the morning, it consisted of 2 dry hard cheap white pieces of toast with the worst margerine I have ever had in my life. The coffee was also horrible apparently.
It's very cheap, and the staff were very friendly, but don't stay here if it's not for a joke otherwise you will be disappointed.

Room Tip: Avoid the one with the pushy door and pipe!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
28  Thank Adoratail

Reviewed 16 September 2011

I am going to start university soon so I went to London to look for a flat and while I was searching, I stayed at the continental hotel in a single room witth private shower and toilet after a friend recommended it as he stayed also there. It is clean, safe, warm and friendly place. The staff were very friendly and helpful. I will use it again and will reccommend it to other friends definately

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 September 2011

I stayed at the continental with my wife and another couple in August after it was recommended by friends. It is nice hotel, clean, quiet, in a leafy square and most important safe. The prices are really low, almost half the prices of other hotels in the area as we asked few hotels on our way to the continental to compare. We liked this hotel very much and we will be back and recommend it to others.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2011

My husband and myself visited London in September for few days. We stayed at the continental hotel after a friend recommended it to us. The location is very good and everything is within walking distance, like oxford street, Marble Arch and Hyde Park. We liked the hotel, the room was facing the square, it was quiet and clean and the staff was helpful. We recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Maria D
Reviewed 9 September 2011

I visited London with my partner from Friday 2nd of September for 5 nights, my partner booked a hotel in Norfolk square Paddington but when we arrived the hotel said there was no booking for us and offend us a very small room in the basement at the back with the window in a light-well. We did not except that room so we left the hotel and walked in the square and saw that the only hotel with 5 star hygiene on the door was the Continental hotel, We asked for a double room with a view of the garden. A very polite receptionist said they only had a triple room left at £79 instead of £59 that they sell the doubles, still it was much cheaper then the previous hotel and the other two we visited. We asked to see the room which was on the 1st floor with a lovely view, we found the room big clean and with lots of light and the beds comfortable so we paid for it, the price included continental breakfast and VAT. The reception was open 24hours and the staff was pleasant, polite and helpful the breakfast room was spotless the position of the hotel in Central London excellent. we recommend it.
I am attaching pictures.

Mark.

Room Tip: Allways ask for a room at the front.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2011

A friend and myself visited London in July for shopping. We took Heathrow connect train from Heathrow to paddington. We checked many hotels in this area and found that the continental was the cheapest compared to other hotels who were the same standard but more expensive. We had a twin room facing the garden, it was clean, the reception was open 24 hours so we could go in and out as we pleased. It is really very good value for money and we will come back again for sure.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Katerina P
Reviewed 9 September 2011

Friends who stayed in this hotel recommended it to me as it is clean, friendly and excellent value for money. I stayed in a single en-suite for a week as I was looking for a flat to share with other friends before the universities start in September. The room was clean and generally the hotel was clean and the staff were helpful. I have recommended already to family and other friends, and I will use it again in September before the contract for the flat begins.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo