“Palm Court - A little disappointing this time!”
Review of Palm Court

Palm Court
Ranked #3,742 of 23,375 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$69 - US$138
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: St. James's
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Over the years in my travels I have been to the Palm Court at the Ritz in London on 3 occasions. The first visit was lovely seeing everything, appreciating the decor and have a high tea for the first time at The Ritz.

Once you walk through the Reception area of The Ritz you are greeted with the Palm Court and it really is quite lovely and it can take you back and appreciate how this traditional tea was perhaps in years gone by. Only problem is they are fully booked every sitting and you just feel you are on a treadmill on - off and out please for the next sitting!

My first visit there was very nice although there was a slight attitude perceived with one of the waiters absolutely expecting his tip at the end of the tea - and we had doubts that he was going to pass on another tip to his colleague.

The second visit was still nice but you can't get away from the rush of it all. The actual tea, coffee, cakes and scones are lovely and the Ritz are generous with their servings. The quality of the food is very good and it is beautifully presented in their little portions.

The third visit once again was totally booked and my friend who I took along for the first time had an enjoyable High Tea. I found the floor manager had an attitude with me but once he found out I had been before that changed slightly. Reception staff are not friendly and just look at you - no smiling or welcoming! Would I go again - probably not.

Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

How disappointing! Things have gone downhill since I had afternoon tea here in 2004. Better cakes in Paul's or Cafe Valerie's. Sandwiches were dry & fillings were not delicate. It was all terribly boring. No lovely surprises! Very pretty dining room & obliging staff. Odd that we had to ask for scones & waiter was surprised that we wanted them. Yes, very odd. Pianist is brilliant.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

Lovely surroundings but the service is a bit snooty for the money. The food was tasty and the choice of tea was good. All in all feels like a tourist trap.

Reviewed 26 November 2012 via mobile

Went for afternoon tea to celebrate my daughter's 18th. She had wanted to go for years.
Whilst my wife & daughter enjoyed the experience I found it overpriced for sandwiches that had a dry feel as if they had been around for a couple of hours!
I also found the experience to be impersonal especially as we were ignored by the greeter as I assume we did not look right, even though we had dressed in suits!
£150 for 4 is a rip off

Reviewed 26 November 2012

As a school reunion, we went out to dinner at the Palm Court. There was a long wait, but they suggested that we go to their sister restaurant and have a drink while we wait. The restaurant was warm and decor soft. The only problem was the acoustics, we couldnt hear each other speak. Tables were loud and rowdy so it was difficult trying to catch up and chat. Food was fair, the lamb was very very salty. Other than that, I would try and go again to see if it had improved.