“Awful place to stay”
Review of Romany House Hotel

Romany House Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Romany House Hotel
Ranked #352 of 555 London B&B and Inns
Bristol
“Awful place to stay”
Reviewed 12 July 2010

This is a cheap place to stay in central London, but there is a reason why it is cheap. I was put in a small room up the narrowest of attic stairs.
The room was still 1950s decor, but not nice. The curtains didn't fully cover the windows, and I felt unclean spending any time in the room.
The linen, although smelt clean, was really old and had marks all over it.
The cupboard was falling apart, and I wouldn't have been surprised if the bed had fleas!!
My friend had a room with its own bathroom - the in built wardrobe had been turned into a toilet, and her shower was in a cupboard out in the hallway!!
To top if off, the owner had quoted £25 over the phone, yet when I paid he insisted it was £35.
Really, avoid this place and pay a little more.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank BristolAli

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Czech first
Almaty
Reviewed 21 August 2009

The room was basic but always clean, with shower (though towel needed to be changed). The location is very good, quite close to Victoria station and underground, Sainsbury's and Tesco supermarkets. A very quite area. The self-service laundry is a few streets from the hotel. The owner was helpful as to info and tips... Breakfast (in some cafe outside) was continental and good. Upon my request they provided their own iron and ironing board to press my garments. And accommodation was quite cheap. I felt at home in this bed and breakfast guest house.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank castle-builder1
Italy
Reviewed 28 June 2009

mmm...ok, I don't want to be too cruel in my review, as a friend of mine is a regular of this b&b, as he seems to quite like it. I stayed there with my mum for two or three nights back in 2007 and never booked there angain for my short breaks in London.

Shabby is the first adjective that comes to mind.

Pros: location, quite close to Victoria Station; bathroom was clean
So, what else?...I'm sorry but there's nothing else. I know London doesn't offer a good price for value but I'm sure you can find something better than this.

Cons: very small room (my room was suposed to be a triple but beleve there was no space to walk between the beds), very small bathroom, very old furniture, extremely uncomfortable beds, towels and blankets were worn out and shabby. I don't think the blankets are ever washed after guestes live, as I found several hairs on mine.

A weird thing we noticed: we had a chace to see the room next to ours and it was so much better than ours! So if I haven't persuaded you not to go to Romany House, at least I suggest you to ask for that room.

• Stayed June 2007

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Manchester, UK
Reviewed 14 August 2008

The Romany House hotel is a small ten room guest house in the centre of London - approximately 6 minutes walk from Victoria train station and 10 minutes to Pimlico. The hotel is surrounded by shops, restaurants and travel links.

The hotel is situated at the end of a quiet little street which has a great pub on the corner. The ten rooms - I was shown all of them - are en-suite, nicely furnished and very peaceful. There is a breakfast room which is currently being refurbished and this is situated in the 15th century part of the house which was once used as a drinking and meeting den for local ruffians - fortunately that is no longer the case. In fact, I felt very at home and safe at the hotel.

The hotel is run by a lovely couple who were helpful and friendly during my stay. I was at the hotel for 4 nights for work and it was the perfect base for a quiet nights sleep, an easy trip to the supermarket for breakfast (not needed after the breakfast room refurbishment) and to get to transport hubs for going out across London.

I was charged an extremely reasonable rate for my single room (double bed) which I was grateful for as I'm on a tiny research budget. Due to all these pluses in a very expensive city, I will always return, on my own for work or with my husband, to the Romany.

Don't be under the impression this is a luxury or touristy hotel, it's not, just a kind, easy, clean and safe place to stay. In the Victoria area of London there are a lot of tourist hotels which are overpriced and under cared for, this is not the case with the Romany.

• Liked — The quiet location and comfortable room
  • Disliked — The lack of breakfast but it wasn't really a problem and is soon to be remedied
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank MsCrow