“2 night stay”

Ranked #507 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Birstall, United Kingdom
“2 night stay”
Reviewed 24 October 2013

In July I was travelling to London for a conference and decided to make it into a short break for me and my partner. We stayed at the Wellington Hotel for 2 nights and had a really nice time. The pub itself was very nice, the food was tasty and the staff very friendly. It was in a great location, just over the road from Waterloo Station which made getting around very easy. Our room was on the third floor and there was no lift, but we didn't let it bother us. I can see how this would annoy other people though. The room was quite small and could have done with decorating, but it was all very clean and tidy. There was a nice shower room, a big comfy bed and a TV. Although it was so close to the station you hardly noticed the noise on a night and we got a good night's sleep both nights. Yes it could have been a little better, but for what we paid and what we needed it was just right. Let's face it, you don't go to London to sit in a hotel room!

Room Tip: If you don't like using stairs, ask for a room on the first floor!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Mark L, General Manager at The Wellington Hotel, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Hello and thank you for leaving your review. Those stairs can be a killer, trust me I've been doing it for 10 years! If you choose to stay with us again, email me and I will make sure you get a room of a lower floor.

All rooms are being refurbished in the spring of next year. Maybe then London will be a place to go to and spend all your time in the room.

Hope you have a merry Christmas.

Mark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed 23 October 2013

My husband and I booked a one night stay following a party as we didn't want to rush to Waterloo for the last train home.

I checked in during my lunch hour, which was pretty painless, although rather embarrassingly I had to ask the girl behind the bar to assist me up the 3 flights of stairs with my suitcase as I have a bad back and no one offered to help me.

First impressions were not good. There is a dirty brown carpet and a musty smell as you proceed up the stairs. The room was small but clean with tea and coffee making facilities and a couple of packets of biscuits, which is a welcome touch, so that was fine. However, the bathroom was musty smelling which was a bit off putting as you couldn't open the window which looked out onto the train tracks. You presumably could be seen from the window by people passing on the train too!

On the plus side, the bed was very comfortable and we weren't particularly troubled by train noise as we used the ear plugs and they don't seem to run between 1am to 5am. The shower was an excellent pressure and the hair dryer was decent.

The cooked breakfast was excellent and you could also choose pastries, cereal and fruit which was great. Shame the OJ ran out though as when I asked if it could be refilled I was told the lady couldn't leave the bar to refil it!

All in all for £95 I probably wouldn't stay here again and would return to the Ibis Blackfriars even though the price has risen. However, for tourists who are on a budget it is in an excellent location opposite Waterloo and just a ten minute walk over the bridge to the heart of Theatreland and a few more minutes to Covent Garden, so the location is excellent and it shouldn't be discounted. If the carpets are replaced that may make a big difference.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your customer review. Sorry about not having a lift, it is an old building. Reards to your comments about the carpet / smell / bathroom, the hotel rooms are having a major re-fit in the spring of 2014. This is why at this time we are not charging a 'normal' London rate for our rooms.

As for the comments you made about the breakfast girls, it sounds unusual. I have spoken to them and they can't recall not having time to fill up the juices and have assured me that it did happen it will not happen again.

I'm happy that you like the breakfast and if you stay with us again I have lots of stories to tell you about the trains going past room windows.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2013

The location of this hotel is brilliant. However this is the only brilliant thing about the hotel. When we made the booking, they didn't have enough spare rooms for our party so offered us a double room for single occupancy with a 20% discount. However when checking in, the girls on the bar weren't aware or prepared to accept this. The manager was then asked to come down and he also agreed that this would never have been offered. Luckily we had an e-mail as proof and they reluctantly had to offer this discount. Their standards rates include a single room and double room at the same rate of £95 which doesn't make sense! Definately not a £95 quality room but it was okay, I would not have stayed any longer than one night. There was no window in the bathroom so it was hot and smelly. The cooked breakfast was not hot and the eggs were very overdone but the cold buffet was well stocked. All in all it was convenient, but I would not return.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Mark L, General Manager at The Wellington Hotel, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay with us. I wish that you would have made me aware of your concerns at the time to give me a chance to rectiy your issues. I believe that other members of your party were possitive in their comments to me and I wish I could have been given the opportunity to help.

I am sorry for the misunderstanding at check in, sometimes information communicated does not reach all parties involved. Apologies on our part on this occasion.

Ian our chef was very dissapointed to hear that his breakast was not to a good standard as past guests usually rave about his breakfast.

Margate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend Couldn't ask for more from this hotel/pub the location is perfect and when it comes to sleeping we didn't have any problems at all we had a great nights sleep.

The hotel manager was very nice and couldn't do more for you to make you feel welcome.

The free breakfast in the morning was nice and a good selection too. The rooms were very clean and the bathroom was also. When I do come to London again this will be my first point of call if I need a hotel because the price is very reasonable and the location can't be faulted only a few stops away from Central London. The hotel is also a good place to have a drink the inside downstairs is very nice and seems to be a well ran business.

Don't be afraid to give it a go because you won't be disappointed!!!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thanks for your kind feedback. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. I hope that our paths will cross again one day.

Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We was staying at this hotel due to being over in London for the NFL game at Wembley. We had researched the location and found that this was perfect for the underground (literally just across from Waterloo station). Upon arrival, we were checked in quickly and shown to our room. We were on the second floor, and there is only stairs to walk up.

The room was well presented and modern with two single beds, tv and wardrobe. There was coffee and tea making facilities, with two packets of cookies. The bathroom was nice, however we did find wet toilet roll stuck to the seat, which I find unhygenic. The rest of the room was clean, there were a few marks on the wall, with felt tip pen, however this can not be removed.

Location and value for money was key for us and both were really good. We got this room for £70 for the night, which is considerably cheap for London. We had a drink in the bar which came to a total of £8.50 which for us and coming from up north were we are used to £2.00 a pint was very exspensive! After talking to some locals they told us this was actually cheap haha!
Breakfast was really nice, there was a choice of cold buffett alongside a full english breakfast, or you could have pancakes, breakfast baps etc. The full english breakfast was all fresh and gorgeous! The sausage was beautiful, and you also got bacon, egg, mushrooms,beans, hashbrown and toast.

Upon checkout we left our luggage in a small cupboard were there was plenty of space.

Overall a great central location, with a comfy bed for a over night stay.

• Stayed September 2013
Hi and thank you for making a review. I hope that you enjoyed the NFL game at Wembley. I'm happy that you enjoyed the breakfast and found the room rate reasonable.

Thanks for your feedback, it's welcome for us to retain what is good and improve what is bad.

Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Very well located hotel for Waterloo, literally just across the road. Good breakfast and bar food pretty good.
Now for the negatives! Check in was ok, asked to leave bags as rooms not ready (we were early). As others have mentioned on here room for bags was full so we left behind bar. We discovered later that the room for bags is actually a cupboard that holds no more than about 8 bags in total, so I guess its nearly always full!
We accessed the hotel via the bar as instructed and as soon as you enter the hotel area there is a horrible damp smell. Upstairs to our room (Room 4) and the smell was no better. On entering room found the carpet to be very stained, net curtains grubby and the door handle to en suite hanging off. The bed was ok and the linen pretty good. There was no handle on the folding shower door so was awkward to get out (had to be rescued by my husband!)
The carpet in our room had not been hovered properly, there were bits of broken pen or something near window and these were not removed in the clean the following day. Cobwebs around light fitting. Found hairs on wall inside shower cubicle (always a turn off!) The bedroom light had a bulb missing, there was only one bedside table and light (double room) which made it awkward if one person wanted to read and one to sleep.
According to welcome notice given with key there should be a Guest Directory in room but we did not have one.
After a days sight seeing and a show we arrived back at hotel just before last orders (11pm) and got some drinks. Settled down for a relax with friends over our drinks and were told in a rude manner that the bar would need to be vacated in 5 minutes. The staff started piling the chairs ontop of tables and locking doors. Although we told the bar staff we were staying at hotel 5 minutes later they returned to ask us to drink up and leave! We then gave up and tried to access hotel from bar and found the door to be deadlocked. We were rather perplexed at this but a rude member of staff came over (eventually) unlocked the door and advised us that the door was always locked after hours to stop guests thieving from the bar. As we knew of no other way out we were very worried about this in the event of a fire. The staff member then pointed out another way in to hotel that we had never been advised of previously. There is no guest area (lounge or bar) in the hotel part of building and we assume that no member of staff stays on site.
Our friends room key didn't work on one occasion and they found someone to rectify, just before departure the same thing happened again and the member of staff snatched from their hand, tutted and said "not again".
There are lots of signs in bar regarding the "friendly staff" but in the 2 days we were there they must have all been on holiday.
Would not recommend hotel if you like service with a smile and a clean room.
Website had advised noise may be a problem but to be honest that was the least of our problems there!

Room Tip: Another hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Mark L, General Manager at The Wellington Hotel, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
Hello,

Thank you for your review. I am really sorry about your experience staying with us. I wish that you would have raised some of these issues at the time of your stay and I may have been able to help.

With regards to the decor of the rooms we are aiming to have most rooms re-decorated in the next few months. The cleaning of your room was not to an acceptable standard and we have raised these issues with the house keeping staff.

We are sorry about the rudeness of the staff regarding your end of night drink. We do not as a general rule rush any guest at the end of the night and this has been re-iterated at a recent staff meeting. I can only apologise for the experience that you had.

We are approachable and wish we would have been given the opportunity to resolve your issues at the time to have made your stay more enjoyable.

Once again thank you for your comments,

Regards
Bergen, Hordaland, Norway
Reviewed 22 September 2013

If you are looking for a noisy hotel with no elevator, dirty curtains, no light in the bathroom, doors that can't be locked right, a train passing every five seconds two feet outside your window, and a staff that cares more about the bar guests than you. Congratulations, this is the hotel for you.

I had probably the worst night in my life staying at this hotel. The room was not clean, the bed was terrible, and there was no light in the bathroom. The room did not have an in-room safe either, so you're belongings are not safe. I was placed in the top floor, with no elevator at all (you have to carry your luggage all the way up), and I couldn't leave anything valuable in the room when I was going to experience the town. Also, you won't get much sleep, as the train runs by right outside your window every five seconds, even at night.

I really do not recommend this hotel, even if you are staying for just one night.

If there was anything positive about it? You get the money back if you check out before the original date, and it's right next to a train station.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Mark L, General Manager at The Wellington Hotel, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Dear geust,

Thank you for your comments. We always appreciate feedback, good or bad. We are sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay here and had to cut if short due to the noise of the trains.

You mentioned the cleanliness of the room, that is was not clean. We are aware that our rooms are tired looking and may benefit from a refit, but they are cleaned to a good standard each day and a distinction has to be made between cleanliness and a tired looking room.

We are right next to Waterloo station and the trains pass one side of our building throughout the day. In other reviews this has also been an issue for other guests which they have also pointed out. For others it has not been a big issue.

Security is important to us and if we had been approached we would have been more than happy to store any personal items in our safe.

Once again, thank you for your comments.