“Bummer of a stay”

Ranked #507 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Mesa, Arizona
“Bummer of a stay”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We REALLY wanted to like this place- the location is superb and the price was ideal for 2 people on a budget. However, everything else was a let down. The beds were beyond uncomfortable- it felt like I was sleeping on soda cans! My ribs hurt for a few days after we checked out because of the bedsprings. We were in room 19, which someone else had mentioned had a broken window. Still broken when we checked in. We were told there were no other rooms available, so the poor girl at the bar had to bring a mallet up to whack the window back in place. The shower was small- I'm 5'3" and could not turn around in the stall without hitting my elbows on the walls. No phone in the room, so every issue we had (broken window, no iron) we had to march downstairs to notify someone. Had to use our own phone to call a taxi for the morning, since the pub had already closed. Not only was not having a phone inconvenient, it just also seemed unsafe. All in all, we would not recommend this hotel- you can't put a price on a good night's sleep!

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank sweetchild34
Mark L, General Manager at The Wellington Hotel, responded to this review, 13 November 2013

I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay with us here. I can understand the reasons why your stay wasn't good. I will let you know that we are planning to have a major refurbishement of all rooms in the spring of 2014.

I would be be delighted to have you with us again to enjoy the better standard rooms. I am sure I could arrange a good rate for you if you ever wanted to take me up on our offer.

With regards to your comments about the taxi, we do work with a nominated taxi service that can be pre-booked at reception. Unfortunately at this time there must have been a breakdown in communication.

Regards
Mark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Kelso, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I stayed for 3 nights with my 2 kids aged 8 and 10, loved it! Location was perfect for exploring London either by foot or tube, and despite being in the centre and above a pub we really didn't hear much noise. Breakfast was amazing, huge selection of hot and cold! Room was well stocked and extras were refilled daily! Also the waitress at breakfast was lovely, really friendly, my son left a book one morning and was delighted to have it returned to him by her the next morning! Would definitely return!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Lyndaemckirdy
Mark L, General Manager at The Wellington Hotel, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Thank you for your kind words. Most people like our breakfast and I am happy that you liked it to. I will pass on your comments to the breakfast girls, I am sure they will appreciate it.

Hope the kids had a good time, I know it is hard work looking after little ones.

Again, thank you for your review. I do hope that father christmas will bring many presents for you and your boys.

Birstall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2013

In July I was travelling to London for a conference and decided to make it into a short break for me and my partner. We stayed at the Wellington Hotel for 2 nights and had a really nice time. The pub itself was very nice, the food was tasty and the staff very friendly. It was in a great location, just over the road from Waterloo Station which made getting around very easy. Our room was on the third floor and there was no lift, but we didn't let it bother us. I can see how this would annoy other people though. The room was quite small and could have done with decorating, but it was all very clean and tidy. There was a nice shower room, a big comfy bed and a TV. Although it was so close to the station you hardly noticed the noise on a night and we got a good night's sleep both nights. Yes it could have been a little better, but for what we paid and what we needed it was just right. Let's face it, you don't go to London to sit in a hotel room!

Room Tip: If you don't like using stairs, ask for a room on the first floor!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Hello and thank you for leaving your review. Those stairs can be a killer, trust me I've been doing it for 10 years! If you choose to stay with us again, email me and I will make sure you get a room of a lower floor.

All rooms are being refurbished in the spring of next year. Maybe then London will be a place to go to and spend all your time in the room.

Hope you have a merry Christmas.

London
Reviewed 23 October 2013

My husband and I booked a one night stay following a party as we didn't want to rush to Waterloo for the last train home.

I checked in during my lunch hour, which was pretty painless, although rather embarrassingly I had to ask the girl behind the bar to assist me up the 3 flights of stairs with my suitcase as I have a bad back and no one offered to help me.

First impressions were not good. There is a dirty brown carpet and a musty smell as you proceed up the stairs. The room was small but clean with tea and coffee making facilities and a couple of packets of biscuits, which is a welcome touch, so that was fine. However, the bathroom was musty smelling which was a bit off putting as you couldn't open the window which looked out onto the train tracks. You presumably could be seen from the window by people passing on the train too!

On the plus side, the bed was very comfortable and we weren't particularly troubled by train noise as we used the ear plugs and they don't seem to run between 1am to 5am. The shower was an excellent pressure and the hair dryer was decent.

The cooked breakfast was excellent and you could also choose pastries, cereal and fruit which was great. Shame the OJ ran out though as when I asked if it could be refilled I was told the lady couldn't leave the bar to refil it!

All in all for £95 I probably wouldn't stay here again and would return to the Ibis Blackfriars even though the price has risen. However, for tourists who are on a budget it is in an excellent location opposite Waterloo and just a ten minute walk over the bridge to the heart of Theatreland and a few more minutes to Covent Garden, so the location is excellent and it shouldn't be discounted. If the carpets are replaced that may make a big difference.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LizzienRichard
Thank you very much for your customer review. Sorry about not having a lift, it is an old building. Reards to your comments about the carpet / smell / bathroom, the hotel rooms are having a major re-fit in the spring of 2014. This is why at this time we are not charging a 'normal' London rate for our rooms.

As for the comments you made about the breakfast girls, it sounds unusual. I have spoken to them and they can't recall not having time to fill up the juices and have assured me that it did happen it will not happen again.

I'm happy that you like the breakfast and if you stay with us again I have lots of stories to tell you about the trains going past room windows.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2013

The location of this hotel is brilliant. However this is the only brilliant thing about the hotel. When we made the booking, they didn't have enough spare rooms for our party so offered us a double room for single occupancy with a 20% discount. However when checking in, the girls on the bar weren't aware or prepared to accept this. The manager was then asked to come down and he also agreed that this would never have been offered. Luckily we had an e-mail as proof and they reluctantly had to offer this discount. Their standards rates include a single room and double room at the same rate of £95 which doesn't make sense! Definately not a £95 quality room but it was okay, I would not have stayed any longer than one night. There was no window in the bathroom so it was hot and smelly. The cooked breakfast was not hot and the eggs were very overdone but the cold buffet was well stocked. All in all it was convenient, but I would not return.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Mark L, General Manager at The Wellington Hotel, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay with us. I wish that you would have made me aware of your concerns at the time to give me a chance to rectiy your issues. I believe that other members of your party were possitive in their comments to me and I wish I could have been given the opportunity to help.

I am sorry for the misunderstanding at check in, sometimes information communicated does not reach all parties involved. Apologies on our part on this occasion.

Ian our chef was very dissapointed to hear that his breakast was not to a good standard as past guests usually rave about his breakfast.

Margate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend Couldn't ask for more from this hotel/pub the location is perfect and when it comes to sleeping we didn't have any problems at all we had a great nights sleep.

The hotel manager was very nice and couldn't do more for you to make you feel welcome.

The free breakfast in the morning was nice and a good selection too. The rooms were very clean and the bathroom was also. When I do come to London again this will be my first point of call if I need a hotel because the price is very reasonable and the location can't be faulted only a few stops away from Central London. The hotel is also a good place to have a drink the inside downstairs is very nice and seems to be a well ran business.

Don't be afraid to give it a go because you won't be disappointed!!!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mark J
Thanks for your kind feedback. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. I hope that our paths will cross again one day.

Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We was staying at this hotel due to being over in London for the NFL game at Wembley. We had researched the location and found that this was perfect for the underground (literally just across from Waterloo station). Upon arrival, we were checked in quickly and shown to our room. We were on the second floor, and there is only stairs to walk up.

The room was well presented and modern with two single beds, tv and wardrobe. There was coffee and tea making facilities, with two packets of cookies. The bathroom was nice, however we did find wet toilet roll stuck to the seat, which I find unhygenic. The rest of the room was clean, there were a few marks on the wall, with felt tip pen, however this can not be removed.

Location and value for money was key for us and both were really good. We got this room for £70 for the night, which is considerably cheap for London. We had a drink in the bar which came to a total of £8.50 which for us and coming from up north were we are used to £2.00 a pint was very exspensive! After talking to some locals they told us this was actually cheap haha!
Breakfast was really nice, there was a choice of cold buffett alongside a full english breakfast, or you could have pancakes, breakfast baps etc. The full english breakfast was all fresh and gorgeous! The sausage was beautiful, and you also got bacon, egg, mushrooms,beans, hashbrown and toast.

Upon checkout we left our luggage in a small cupboard were there was plenty of space.

Overall a great central location, with a comfy bed for a over night stay.

• Stayed September 2013
Hi and thank you for making a review. I hope that you enjoyed the NFL game at Wembley. I'm happy that you enjoyed the breakfast and found the room rate reasonable.

Thanks for your feedback, it's welcome for us to retain what is good and improve what is bad.