“Alright for a quick, cheap stay”

Best Western London Peckham Hotel
Ranked #566 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Alright for a quick, cheap stay”
Reviewed 16 January 2014

The hotel is absolutely spotless and the service is excellent at Peckham Lodge, but there are a few issues I had with the stay. The basement rooms where we were situated were very very small, you can't put your bags open on the floor, there is not enough room. You can hear other guests in their rooms and you can hear the pipes and water flowing. The fire alarm would go off for no reason at ridiculous times which was very annoying. But overall, the room was warm, the bed was comfy and was clean. There was always fresh sheets and the bathroom was very nice. Good for a short and cheap stay. Free wifi also works in the rooms!

Room Tip: Don't go for basement rooms and try go for something a little bigger than the executive doubles!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
PeckhamLodge, Assistant manager at Best Western London Peckham Hotel, responded to this review, 18 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit.

Please accept my apology for the inconvenience you experienced regarding the fire alarm. Fire alarm detectors have to be sensitive enough to detect the changes in the heat and for that reason, the fire alarm went off when the steam from the shower in one of the rooms reached the detector.

I look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Assistant Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
hayle
Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

Saved by obliging staff and popular, having a 24 hr reception. Our daughter had a very bad room on the second night as the room we had prepaid had been let.
Good value but view the room first for broken beds,showers etc.
Would use it again. It's clean and safe.

Stayed December 2013
PeckhamLodge, Assistant Manager at Best Western London Peckham Hotel, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit at Peckham Lodge.

We treat all of our comments with the utmost seriousness and we will
be looking into the matter accordingly.

I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Pavla C
Assistant Manager

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Reviewed 12 January 2014

We stayed here for a one night stay, first impressions the hotel from the outside looks nice also reception. The problem we had was the rooms first room we went into was freezing cold and in a basement stank of cigarettes and hadn't been properly cleaned from the previous guests, second room well the bed had lost its legs and had an also disgusting smell could do with a tidy up badly! In the end asked reception to look at room before they offered another room- we did find one which was to a suitable manor but had the bad smell too. I understand this is a low cost hotel but it doesn't mean cleanliness goes out the window something needs to be done as this could be a successful hotel, many other guests thought the same. Does have a breakfast room which is acceptable but beware you must buy before you go down and eat at reception! Do not stay for a long haul only for short. Please manager's read these reviews!!! Cleanliness!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed January 2014
PeckhamLodge, Assistant Manager at Best Western London Peckham Hotel, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
We would like to thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay in Peckham Lodge.

Please accept my apology for the inconvenience you experienced.

We are concerned about the smell you are referring to. As we are in a process of refurbishment, there is a smell of paint in the corridors. If you could get in touch about what room you were staying in, we can look into it further. The email address is: Peckham@eurohotelsgroup.co.uk.

I appreciate that you brought these points to my attention and I will straight away make sure that we will rectify them.

We appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to Peckham Lodge.

targu mures
Reviewed 5 January 2014

It's on the cheap side of London, the south area. The neighborhood is poor and shabby, you wouldn't say it's London. But: the bus-stop is right across the street, you can get downtown in about 30 minutes, if you swich halfway to the subway. A little shop is quite close, although not as cheap as expected...
Our room had three beds and we were in the basement. Not a very good thing, because as it rained during the night, water had flown into our room, clothes in one of our suitcases got wet, 2 hats got destroyed. So be aware, don't put anything around the window. Tv, waterheater ok, bath ok, quite clean, carpets - wear slippers, they look quite doubty.
Internetacces in the lounge - ha-ha, never menaged during our 5 day stay to access one single site or refresh the map on my phone... And I must admit, that would have been important for us, the map and some online research on the things in the city...
The bed was very narrow, was afraid of falling out of it during the night... To get to our room we hade to pass some very dirty hallways, that were under construction, a little bit weird and also disturbing, because we did pay for the room just like other guest, but didn't have natural sunlight in our room and were living in a construction area...

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
PeckhamLodge, ASSISTANT MANAGER at Best Western London Peckham Hotel, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
I am very sorry to read about your experience at Peckham Lodge.

We are concerned about the water coming to your room when raining. If you could get in touch about what room you were staying in, we can look into it further as we have not received a complaint about this before. The email address is: Peckham@eurohotelsgroup.co.uk.

We are in a process of upgrading the hotel so a renovation work is taking place in some parts of the hotel. I would to apologise for the inconvenience caused to you. Also, the Wi-Fi connection was being upgraded during the summer which might have caused the failure to work on some occasions.

Please do allow me to express my sincerest apologies once again.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Context:
We're a South African family of 4 on a tight budget and were looking for reasonably priced, but basic accommodation to use as a base to explore London. The cost of living here is twice that at home and the SA Rand is 17 to the pound, so we were prepared to be less than fussy. A rating of 3 is maybe a bit generous, but I felt 2 would be unfair. It served our needs, but did not delight.

Getting there:
We resorted to a taxi from Victoria station where the Gatwick Express dropped us as it was late, raining and we were tired - it cost us 35 euro not the quoted 20 as there was an accident and the cab driver had to take a roundabout route.

Cost:
We were in room 412 on the top floor in a 4 bed room and paid 473 pounds for 5 nights, which we thought was OK value - there was nothing else we could find of comparable standard at a lower rate at the time. The room was small, but clean, fairly quiet, although you could hear people talking in the passages on odd occasions.

Value:
Reasonable value I suppose. The front desk was staffed 24x7 and the staff helpful. Various bus routes stop 50m from the front door, there Kentish Drover pub and Lidl supermarket is 5 minutes walk away, and there is a Wild Bean at a fuel station close by that sells sandwiches. Service from the front desk was friendly and helpful. The area looks fairly dodgy, but we never felt threatened as our kids are older teens and able to take care of themselves - if they'd been younger I may have been uneasy. Once we’d found the nearest Tesco and Sainsbury, we made more use of the communal microwave oven in the common room. We had access to great free WiFi from room 412 although we were told at the desk that this would be unlikely.

What sort of place was it:
A cheap hotel in a slightly rundown area south of London. The #12 bus was useful in getting in and out of the areas we wanted to see. The place was relatively clean and warm, but a bit cramped for a family of four for five days.

How long were we there:
5 nights.

Would we go back:
Probably not - if we returned to London, we’d probably shop around a bit and choose another area.

Pros:
Cheaper than other options we investigated. Right near a bus stop with at least 5 routes stopping there. Fairly comfortable, warm, with reasonably friendly service. Fast free WiFi. Good Vodaphone and EE signals.

Cons:
The beds were bad - we prefer firm mattresses - these sagged badly and were not comfortable. The lift was often not working. The shower drained extremely slowly and the shower doors and fittings showed signs of imminent failure.

Tips:
There is no public transport on Christmas day (and possibly other public holidays) and you need to book in advance at any of the eating places nearby. The Kentish Drovers was about the best option for a pub meal or a drink. There is a Lidl and a Wild Bean nearby if you are looking for provisions. Prepaid Oyster cards are the way to go for bus and tube (we bought 20 pound cards before leaving SA and topped up once with 5 pounds at Victoria station) but be aware that once the balance falls below 2 pounds you cannot ride, even if the trip will only cost 1.40! All bus trips, no matter how long cost 1.4 with an Oyster card. The #12, #36 and #171 buses were very useful.

Room Tip: I imagine rooms on the top floor are quieter and possibly better than those on lower floors.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank d4v3g
PeckhamLodge, Assistan Manager at Best Western London Peckham Hotel, responded to this review, 8 January 2014

I am disappointed to hear that your experience in some aspects did not meet your expectations. Please do allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Peckham Lodge, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest and your feedback is very important to us.

Vicenza, Italy
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I booked a triple room and we stayed there for two nights. I red some feedbacks and I saw the pics on booking.com. Well, I was exited as the price was competitive compared to other accommodations in London and some feedbacks were very good about rooms, staff and transports.
Once we got there.... the area is not safe at all, not even cabs would stop there to pick you up during the night. Peckham Lodge building is very nice from outside but once you get in it's terrible. Our room was completely dirty: bed sheets, floor, furniture, everything was dirty and the bathroom.... they didn't clean our toilet before our arrival and we found some hair in the shower. The sink was so dirty that I bought a bottle of water to brush my teeth. I was shocked. Don't believe in feedbacks that say that it takes 20/25 minutes from the Lodge to central London.... IT IS NOT TRUE!!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends

I am disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please do allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Please see below a response to the points that you made.

Regarding your comment about the neighbourhood, we have been open for over 6 years and have had thousands of guests to date, none of them have ever had a problem with regards to safety.

We are in a constant process of upgrading the hotel in order to make all the rooms up to the same standard.

The rooms are being serviced by the maids on a daily basis, however please accept my apology if your room was not serviced properly. We are investigating the matter at the moment.

We are well connected with central London by public transport. It normally takes 20 mins to get to Westminster. However, the city can get congested by traffic at times and it is difficult to estimate the time of travel.

Athens, Greece
Reviewed 20 December 2013

i ve been there a while ago , well what i like were three things..one that it was very close to the bus station where u could take any bus to take you to the center , which was like 20 min away. second the bathroom was very clean !! very important! and third it had air condition and plasma tv well those three made it an ok place for those who wont stay much in!
what i didnt like .. when i arrived and went to my room it was in -2 floor and the elivator was broken so i went down there carrying my suitcase all alone ..i got shocked when i saw that there is no window!!!! so i went upstairs and demanted one with a window and they showed me one with a view on wall !! and i didnt accept that either so the third and last one in which i stayed one with a view on the soil of the hotel also underground~ second thing i didnt like was that the room was too small i didnt have room even for my suitcase and i booked a double room! third they didnt change my sheets for all the days i was there and last if u take a bath with the door of the bathroom open the fire alarm activates cause of the steams

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
PeckhamLodge, Assistant Manager at Best Western London Peckham Hotel, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Thank you for providing us feedback on your stay. I am sorry to hear that you did not fully enjoy your stay with us. Please see below a response to the points that you made.

All the premises have to be equipped with fire alarm detectors as required by The Health & Safety Regulations. Fire alarm detectors have to be sensitive enough to detect the changes in the heat and for that reason, the fire alarm goes off when the steam reaches the detector.

In order for the lift to function properly and be safe for its user, the maintenance has to be done on a regular basis. It can take up to several hours. We would like to apologise for the inconvenience it caused you.

Our hotel consists of 209 rooms spread over basement, ground floor, first floor, second floor and third floor. Some rooms have no window -many customers have requested those rooms as they are considered as the ‘quiet rooms’. We are always happy to change the room if a customer wishes to stay on the upper floor or having a room with a window.

The rooms are being serviced by the maids on a daily basis, the linen being changed every 2-3 days. If customers request the linen to be changed daily, they can place the request with us and we will be happy to do so. I am really sorry if there was some misunderstanding and your sheets were not changed.

Assistant Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
Whitechapel
Ruskin Hotel
#577 of 1,067 in London
Church Street Hotel
#477 of 1,067 in London

Been to Best Western London Peckham Hotel? Share your experiences!