“Great first impression but dont be fooled!”

BEST WESTERN London Peckham Hotel
Ranked #561 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Great first impression but dont be fooled!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

Lets do positives first... The location was great, easy to find if you know what bus to get and beautiful from the outside. Clean reception and fairly pleasant if slow staff. Bed was comfortable, tv and air con was great and lovely warm shower. Having only paid £123 for two nights in London, it was good value, although as I am a student it was still expensive. two convenience stores right on the door stop, great for snacks and drinks and a free cash point in the lobby. Great and easy bus links right outside also.

We were placed in room in the other building, almost underground so I got no mobile service apart from one bar near the door. The reception staff were slow and had to check if the room was ready even though we arrived 3 hours after the check in time. The room was very small, only just enough room for the double bed, and no windows made it very dark and clinical. The loo was a bit dirty and the seat was broken! We stayed for two nights, the first of which was disturbed by an 8am fire alarm where we went downstairs to find out it was from someone having a shower without the fan on, and we tried to go back to sleep only to be kept up by loud drilling and construction either on or near the hotel. On the second night we also returned to the hotel with heavy bags and i had to go all the way back to reception to reactivate our key card. There was also no plughole in the sink, could have been disastrous with expensive jewelry had I not noticed it! My fiance also tripped and fell over the step to get into the shower, could have been a dreadful accident in a very cramped bathroom. We had people knocking on our door at least 5 times with no voice and we still don't know what this was. There was no place to sit other than the bed, and the tea and coffee facilities were poor. Could have used a mini fridge.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Laura P
PeckhamLodge, Loredana Codrean / Assistant Manager at BEST WESTERN London Peckham Hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Good afternoon,
I am sorry that on this occasion you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback with
the utmost seriousness and I am currently investigating this matter.
Our rooms are standard size but there is enough space between the bed and walls. The toilet seat was lose not broken and it was rectified immediately.
In what regards the tea/coffee facilities we provide them per person but you are free to ask for more at the reception.
We apologize for the alarm going off as unfortunately if someone set the alarm off, it will set off in the whole building.
We hope to see you again soon so that we can improve upon your previous experience

Regards

Loredana Codrean

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

I stayed in Peckham one week, it was very cheap, the room was small but didn't lack anything. The staff wasn't very able in speaking italian, but this wasn't really a problem. I loved the boiler inside the room. I have found the breakfast really poor I would not recommend it. bus stop was just outside the hotel (36 and 436 for Victoria in less then 30 min). I definitely recommend Peckham Lodge, it was adorable.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Nicola V

regards

Pitlochry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights with friends and saw both the twin and double rooms. It was pretty average but for the price in London it was just ok. Our twin room had quite a few things broken in it like the window which wouldn't open and the shower door which was missing a panel. The thing for me though was the lack of communication from staff when the fire alarm went off late one night. There was absolutely no communication from any members of staff once the alarm stopped to reassure the patrons, and there were a few of us all standing in the stairwell. Nor was the incident acknowledged when we checked out. Disappointing.

• Stayed April 2014
Clacton-on-Sea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

Was okay. The room felt a bit like a prison cell. For a four person room I expected it to be a bit bigger really. We had barely any room to move. Our only window was covered by a big building and being in the basement floor it felt so dark. No tea or coffee in the room and for £107 for a night I thought that was a bit ridiculous even a Travelodge has that which would have been cheaper and had more room and a mirror!) Our shower was cold after like 4 minutes so one of us had the chance to shower.

The staff were lovely though which was the only reason we didn't kick up a fuss! When we got stuff outside of our room at 5am cos a friend lest early and locked the door they helped us in :)

Don't even get me started on the 'carpark' it was a building site and just ridiculous.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
PeckhamLodge, Loredana Codrean / Assistant Manager at BEST WESTERN London Peckham Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Many thank for taking the time to leave us an extensive review. All reviews, even constructive are more than welcome.
We hope to see you soon again to rectify this experience.
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

Was given the worst and the smallest room ever, without hot water and any mirror in the room. Size was literally 1 cubic meter. Switched to another room, a bit better, but completely different from the photos on booking.com. All people gather at the lobby for internet connection (no wi-fi in room) and just to spread the wings, as there is nothing to do in the room. First floor, so every car passing by will see what you are doing. We were forced to keep windows closed all the time (5 days, 6 nights) . No chairs, no fridge, no ventilation in the toilet, so your friends/relatives will enjoy all the smells coming from it. They also charge you 3.50 pounds for every person for the breakfast, though we used to shop at the closest grocery store and "KHF" bistro. Neighbourhood is frightening. The price was normal and we didn't expect any luxury at all, but just that fact that you get worst room, while hotel can offer you something better killed all the magic from the trip at the very beginning

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you very much for taking the time to tell us about your stay at Peckham Lodge London. I am extremely disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please do allow me to express my sincerest apologies.
At Peckham Lodge, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest and your feedback is very important to us.
We hope to see you soon again to rectify this experience.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

I booked the Peckham Lodge as a cheap bit of overnight accommodation, after visiting London for a gig at the Brixton Academy. I was slightly apprehensive about the area, having heard bad things about Peckham, but had no issue at all. The hotel itself was clean, well furnished, bed was comfortable, staff were friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. If you're looking for some simple, well priced, no thrills accommodation for a night, I'd recommend Peckham Lodge.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank lukedmyers
We would like to thank you for taking the time to comment your stay on Tripadvisor.
We are pleased to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us and hope to welcome you soon again

Carlisle, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

Perfect room for me, mum & sister. 3 single beds. Lovely power shower. Bright cheerful décor. Unfortunately the hearting didn't work in the room, but we were promptly given an extra duvet each. There were 2 bedside lights that didn't work; not that that was a big problem to us. The hotel was very busy, staff were efficient and friendly. I wasn't disturbed by noise in the night, though mum & sister heard some hustle and bustle; we were there Friday night. I would definitely go back. It was very good value for money. Some restaurants just up the road, and a bus stop just outside the hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Steph A
Thank you very much for your review. It is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Regards