“Excellent place and great location”
Review of The Harrington

The Harrington
Ranked #92 of 897 Speciality Lodging in London
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Very well looked after - rooms well appointed and spacious. Weren't keen on lower ground floor apartments due to no natural light and road noise - staff happy to accommodate a move to 5th floor which though a lot smaller better met our requirements.

• Stayed: February 2014
MatthewBrooks, General Manager at The Harrington, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Many thanks indeed for this review and I am delighted to know that this guest so enjoyed his stay here. I am glad to know that we were able to resolve his one concern on arrival.

We really look forward to welcoming this guest back to The Harrington soon.

There are newer reviews for The Harrington

Reviewed 18 February 2014

We stayed at The Harrington in early February, in a Studio. The Gloucester Road area of South Kensington has been my preferred location in London for many years and I rate it one of the very best parts of London for its attractiveness and convenience. On a direct line from the airport, it is also just a few stops from Piccadilly Circus or Westminster, putting you right in the heart of the tourist areas. The Harrington, being just one block from Gloucester Road Tube station and cheek by jowl with all the commercial amenities you could need, is ideally situated. You can get a good English (or other) breakfast at the Café Forum, almost next door, or shop for groceries, wine, etc. at the Waitrose supermarket right behind the station. All very convenient. Now to the apartment itself: Our reception was pleasant and friendly, and we appreciated being given access to our room right away, having arrived early on an overnight flight. We were put on the 4th floor (room 140, with quite a good view over the rooftops), so the elevator was a necessity and it was fortunate we only had carry-on bags as I honestly cannot see squeezing two people with large bags into that tiny lift (not to mention two large people). This is something that really should be addressed in the refurbishment. The apartment itself was, for a studio, very spacious. Nicely appointed bathroom and a well-equipped, modern kitchen. The bedroom size was adequate, but if anything rather overwhelmed by the size of the bed. One quibble here: the wooden base of the bed stuck out in a rather hazardous fashion. Despite noting that this was an accident waiting to happen, I still managed to prang my shin rather painfully. Frankly, I'd rather have a smaller bed with more room around it. The small dining table was handy for both eating and as a work space, and the free WiFi, which worked well, is a good touch. All in all, this easily beats regular hotel rooms in the area for value and spaciousness, and we were probably in one of the smallest units. Recommended.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank UpstartCrow
MatthewBrooks, General Manager at The Harrington, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

This is an extremely helpful review from this guest for which we are very grateful. It is very useful for anybody considering staying at The Harrington with very specific details of local facilities as well as points on the apartments themselves.

We completely agree, of course, that the lift is a concern and are actively trying to work out a way to make this significantly larger within the constraints of a 100 year old building. That said, my team currently will happily help with luggage where help is needed.

I am very sorry to hear of the accident this guest had with the bed. We have started replacing these beds entirely with new beds that are padded all around and that process is to be accelerated in the next month.

My thanks for an extremely useful review, both in terms of information for prospective clients and in feedback for me. We look forward to welcoming this guest back to The Harrington very soon.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

We didn't want to spend too much on 3 nights in London (budget constraint), but most hotels are either too far from the centre or too cheap (in every sense)! You get some awful guesthouses pretending to be hotels, in some mansion blocks without soul. Or, you find yourself in zone 4 without public transport, or humanity, albeit in a decent hotel. So, The Harrington turned out to be a great find. I know the NH Harrington from years back, and this new apart-hotel is almost its neighbour. The Gloucester Road tube station is about 1 min walk, so for us arriving from T5 it was a stroll in the park. The reception is being 'done up' with some tape on the wet paint door, but once inside, the receptionist was there to greet you. She could have been more enthusiastic but it wasn't too unlike most receptionists. The reception area is a bit office like, but it was OK. The lift is rather small - we managed to squeeze the 2 of us (small adults) plus our 2 suitcases and hand trolleys in, and got to our 5th floor apartment. It was vast! 26m2. Can you imagine that in central London? The layout is a bit strange though - the bathroom is just off the entrance. The vast sitting room cum kitchen in the middle. The big bedroom to the back. If you want to have a mid night relief, you need to walk down the hall past the sitting room. Not ideal but for the price it is a good compromise. The kitchen is well equipped. One could cook there, but we didn't. The bed is comfy and large. I think we got an upgrade from the normal double, so we appreciate that. The location is SUPERB! There are plenty of branded cafes and pubs, plus some decent restaurants. Supermarkets are everywhere. Quite touristy but that is Gloucester Road for you. We love our brief stay and will definitely come back. But, I am afraid when the renovation is complete (new owner) the prices will go up.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Many thanks indeed for such a helpful review for potential guests and ourselves alike. I am delighted to know that this guest so enjoyed the stay and location is certainly a very strong points here, mentioned in most reviews.

The Lobby is almost there - just a chandelier and some furniture to come, so this will be completed very soon. I appreciate the feedback about Reception and we have just completed some training of our team on exactly this point, which I shall follow up closely.

In the meantime, we really look forward to welcoming this guest back to The Harrington.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

A bit reserved from the main part of the city, the Harrington proves to be a quiet, yet robust quarter. Surrounded by fine dining restaurants, niche cafés, a well-frequented, antiquated pub, supermarket choices and a casino, all within walking distances to parks, museums and Underground stations, The Harrington takes big-city London and nestles you in the smaller version of it. You could easily spend a week walking the streets of South Kensington without ever venturing into the main part of the city, but if that is a must, the Harrington is located right next to the Underground station and Tour bus stops.

The rooms are nice for those that do not require a lot space. The kitchen is adequately supplied, with all necessities and the living room / dining room has seating enough for the designed occupant maximum, plus a guest or two. The bedroom has a spacious bed, but not the space for it. Inching around the corners, one tends to stub toes and bump knees, making bedtime a bit of a tiresome experience, forgive the pun. Luckily the bathroom has scalding hot water and plenty of shelving options for vanity-heavy patrons.

The staff are very welcoming and trustworthy. There isn't much choice in the matter of trust, with only one key to open the apartments, you can either like it secure or like it clean. And clean it will be! When selecting a room, weigh the options of walking up stairs or waiting for the single, phone booth elevator. There is safety in numbers, just don't expect them to fit in the elevator with you.

As much as there was "wrong" with the Harrington, I still could not find anything wrong with it at all. The price paid, the location and the staff, are highlights of this rather fine, small apart-hotel, perfect for a quick trip with the misses or a business week out of town. Kudos Harrington. ST.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Scot T
MatthewBrooks, General Manager at The Harrington, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Many thanks indeed for the detailed feedback. I loved the description of South Kensington, as well as the rest of the review, which really sums the area up very well.

I noted that the guest stayed in January and mentions that only one key was provided for the apartment. Since then, we have replaced the locks on all apartment doors with a new, electronic system, which enables us to issue as many keys for each apartment as any guest needs.

I cannot do justice to this eloquent description of South Kensington and The Harrington but all of the team are delighted to know that this guest so enjoy his stay and we very much look forward to welcoming him back very soon.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

I made a last minute change of plan due to the dreadful weather and chose this hotel because it was close to the museums. I liked the idea of an apartment rather than a standard hotel as it meant I could stay in, cook myself a meal and watch a DVD rather than venturing out again. This proved to be the perfect place - just 2 minutes walk to the Gloucester Road underground station, where there was a small shopping arcade including a Waitrose, a Boots and several chain eateries, and only 10 minutes walk from the natural history and V&A museums. The cooking facilities were excellent - plenty of pans, utensils and crockery for my purposes - with washing up supplies provided. The lounge was comfortable and the bedroom, though small, was perfectly adequate. The wifi was good, tvs in both the lounge & bedroom were flat screens with good pictures, and the bathroom was fine - good sized shower cubicle with lovely shower. Plenty of sockets, iron & ironing board, hair drier, big bath towels, in fact everything I needed. The apartment was clean & tidy, the heating was controllable (I don't like hot rooms!) and the price I paid was very good value. They stored my luggage all day while I visited the museums. The reception staff were friendly and efficient. The whole place is due to be refurbished in the coming months so maybe it will get more expensive then but for he time being I can't think why I would stay anywhere else in this part of London!

Room Tip: I had room 106 - good views over the city
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank SallyR21

My sincere thanks to this reviewer for the feedback and this review will be very helpful to anyone considering a stay at The Harrington.

As we increasingly look to exceed our guests' expectations, as the new look of the property we inherited takes shape, it's very rewarding for the whole team to know that we have succeeded and in every respect.

My thanks again for the feedback and for the details. We look forward to welcoming this guest back to The Harrington again soon.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

It is the 3rd time we stay at Harrington Gardens, this time we stayed with my husband in room 107 from February 4th - 9th, 2014. Excellent location, very clean, tidy, spacious, warm, good value for the money paid. Cons: small shower cabin, small wardrobe for our clothes that did not actually open well, because of the bed, check out time at 11:00.
Complaint: On our checkout morning, the lady at reception was extremely rood with her behaviour. We did not know that check-out time was at 11:00, so after she called us once and informed us, we came down at 11:45. She did not greet, smile, speak or even say goodbye when she was personally addressed by myself two times!
Rest of the personnel from reception to cleaning staff were and always are excellent and extremely helpful.
Will certainly come back again!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

My sincere thanks to this regular guests for the feedback on the most recent stay, which is very helpful.

The layout of apartments does vary and does result in differences between, for example, the space around the bed in one layout and another. As ever, we will always do our best to meet any special requests known in advance - so a preference for a particular layout of apartment, for example, is something we always try to satisfy if we possibly can.

I am shocked at the experience this guest had with a Receptionist. They all have guest service training this week and next and I shall follow up closely with each one individually to ensure that standards of hospitality are very much higher than this guest experienced on this stay.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

I know the photos are for guidance only but I wasn't that happy with the room it's the basement apartments and its defiantly not what I expected, the man at the desk did not greet us very well at all and I felt out of place when processing my payment through, there's a couple of damages to lamps and the walls but can't fault the location! Hope my next 3 days here are better than the arrival! Also I know I should of asked about the wifi but it would of been helpful to have been asked if I was going to be using it during my stay.

• Stayed: February 2014

I was very sorry that my efforts to make contact with this guest whilst still us to resolve the concerns he had were unsuccessful. At the time, for a short period, I had the opportunity to offer an alternative apartment.

It is the case that the very small number of Lower Ground Floor apartments currently have different furniture to those on higher floor, although of better quality. This difference will cease to exist when we refurnish the apartments.

I am sorry that the welcome was not as welcoming as should have been the case. It is normally part of the check in process that Receptionists offer the key to the wifi and I have reinforced the importance of this point. I am confident that the guest service training we have this week and next for the Reception team will enhance their skills and the standard of hospitality significantly.

My thanks for the feedback and I am only sorry that I did not have the chance I tried to take to resolve this guests concerns.