“Overpriced travel hotel”

Novotel London Paddington
Ranked #261 of 1,073 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Not many choices in Paddington (the Hilton is old and tired) and this is one of the only options within walking distance of the station that doesn't scream "fleapit". It's a functional travel hotel with all the soul of a business park (who designs these places?). It's in a commercial area so is weirdly uninhabited at weekends. Staff are friendly but there's not much to recommend here. For what it is, it's unjustifiably expensive. For the price, you'd be better off going further into town and getting transport to Paddington or biting the bullet and going for one of the many budget options in the roads around the station.

There are newer reviews for Novotel London Paddington

Reviewed 27 September 2013

We stayed here for a family weekend in London. The location is ok, very accessible by rail/tube and very quiet at weekend due to it being a more business location. Room was very small for 3, but comfortable and clean. On arrival we were asked as usual for a credit card guarantee. We had dinner in restaurant on first night which we thought was good food, good service and reasonable price for London. We added this to our room account which we thought was normal. During the night we had a letter under the door saying there was items on our bill for which they had no payment for. It transpires that they only take a £50 guarantee and we had exceeded this with our meal and so they wanted us to clear it? Very odd, seemed like they prefer you to pay as you go, which was offputting for drinks in the bar etc. The next day upon checkout though I was asked again to pay for my dinner as they only had a £50 guarantee!!!. I patiently explained that I had cleared this the day before as requested. Reasonable London hotel with very odd billing practice.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

In the past we had stayed in Heathrow hotels the night before departure. They are not all that easy to get to via public transport and it can take 45 minutes on the shuttle bus to get to the terminals though they are just across the road! The Novotel at Paddington was ideal. A few minutes walk through a traffic-free area to Paddington station and then a short trip on the Heathrow Express or Connect into the airport. The hotel was standard Novotel, perfectly adequate for a night or two stay and you know what to expect. Within walking distance of Marylebone and several underground stations. Not somewhere I'd choose for a week in London but ideal location for our purposes.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gail E
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Definately not the same high standard of most Novotel hotels in Australia. Our room was on the 6th floor, and had filthy stained carpet. The grey sofabed was also pretty disgusting, definately low-budget.

So, the experience? We arrived early (before check in time) off a 24 hour flight from Australia. I have stayed at a number of hotels in London over the years, and while early check in is a rarity, they at least make the effort to check whether the room might be available early. Not here. We were abruptly told there was no chance of early check in, end of story. We were offered by the receptionist that they could hold our bags. Well, this is the least they could have done.

I had to politely ask for permission to use the pool / fitness area for myself and my mother (in her 60's) to be able to take a shower before heading out for the day. The receptionist obliged. I might point out I am also a member of Le Club Accor hotels with quite a few room nights under my belt, which wasnt recognised or noted in any way for the duration of the stay. There seems to be no benefit in this reward program.

The fitness area is very cramped, not ideal for lugging suitcases. There is one shower in the mens. The shower in the ladies was out of order, so I put mum into the disabled shower.

As for the room - housekeeping carts in the hallways all day long. Despite the filthy carpet and sofabed of questionable cleanliness, the room was reasonably modern, if basic. Room Service and Mini Bar were extremely expensive. There is a Sainsburys only a 5 min walk away (towards Paddington Station) so dont waste your money on overpriced items from this basic hotel.

The bed was comfortable, the sofabed was not. The service was sterile, which matched the hotel. Easy location, close to Paddington Station (10-15 min walk). Wifi was available for free which is probably the most positive thing I can say about this hotel.

Would I return here? No chance. Very basic room and service, with stained carpets and no real competitive advantage over any other hotel in the area that I could see.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Brocko25
Reviewed 22 September 2013

The hotel is located a few minutes walk from Paddington Station in the Sheldon Square area ( close to Little Venice). It has good access to local transportation, is very quiet at night even on the 2nd floor facing the flyover. The staff are very professional and polite.

I arrived late in the evening and was allocated a good room (210) which is larger than some - based on my previous experience. The room was clean and spacious with a bathroom containing both a bath and a separate shower. I was rather thirsty and took a bottle of water from the fridge (which contained 2 bottles each of still/sparkling water). I did not see (any notice on the fridge indicating pricing) so was amazed to be asked to pay £2.75 the next morning for 500ml water. I will learn and next time buy one at the station on my way to the hotel for £1.00.

The breakfast buffet is good but service can be slow in terms of getting your hot drink especially if you are simply looking to eat a bowl of cereal before work. If the breakfast was not included in my rate I would have said at £15.95 it was expensive. Wifi is fast and efficient

Would I stay again - Yes

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 September 2013

We arrived early after a Eurostar trip from Paris, my parents were staying at this hotel, so we rested in their room until our room should've been ready at 3pm. Called to reception over and over, room still not ready at 5pm. Finally got into our room at 5.30pm. Not good to wait that long with kids.

Found the room very small for 2 adults and 2 kids. Traveling from Australia for 3 weeks, we had 3 suitcases and there was a lot of tripping over things with the sofa bed out for the duration.

Bathroom was nice, bed was comfy, breakfast was expensive but delicious. Even though it was a little distance from Paddington Station, we enjoyed the walk - even in the rain some days. Kids used the Hotel pool daily and absolutely loved it. Spa area was really nice.

Usually greeted with a smile and a nice hello in most hotels, but not this one, we were always waiting in line at Reception and they always seemed like they didn't really want to talk to you.

Having Computers/Internet in Hotel Lobby was excellent. Booked and printed out tickets etc while we were there.

Fun stay in London, would maybe stay again. Handy being close-ish to Paddington Station, we got a 5 day Oyster Card and caught the Tube everywhere.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank montya
Reviewed 18 September 2013

The hotel gave a lovely welcome and served as a great base for a quick weekend exploration of London. We were able to drop our bags early as we were a few hours off being able to check in. I was disappointed when we came to collect them that it took a good few minutes of us having to search in their luggage room as they had been spread all over.

The rooms were nice and well appointed but they could do with some looking at, especially where the bathroom doors don't meet and it jams against the ceiling.

The bar was nice and not unreasonably priced. The staff here were very attentive, professional and friendly. The breakfast was good.

Overall it was a nice stay but the little things that would make it special or unique are just missing.

1  Thank Jonny1992