“London vacation”

Novotel London Paddington
Ranked #257 of 1,068 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sætre
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Second time staying here, and I like this hotel a lot. Nice atmosphere in a quiet area. Five minute walk along the channel from the Paddington station. Some good restaurants near by as well. Breakfast buffet great. We had an suprior room at the 10th flor with an extra bed for our daughter aged 13.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
novotelpaddington, Rooms Division Manager at Novotel London Paddington, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear JonBGJ, Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Kind regards, Paulo Bernini
Dorking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I have stayed here many times before. However, this is the first time since I started writing reviews. Its getting worse! I have had the manager telephone me (I was a platinum accor member) after my stay on previous occasions to apologise. Why do I go back - Location, Location, Location. Like many others working in the Sheldon Square business area, its just a few steps away from the office I am visiting. However, unless you are working that close DO NOT STAY HERE!

Its not a great place for tourists, if visiting London I can name dozens of better locations.

So the up side for those who are working in one of the many offices within a couple of minutes walk. Its a perfectly comfortable very ordinary Novotel. Nothing special - but would be fine if not for the front desk. Who I don't believe are incompetent - you could not find that many awful people in one place. It must be bad training, management and systems.

The front desk staff speak many languages, which is fantastic for an international business location. However, they seem to struggle in English - This is London, the Accor hotels in Madrid, Amsterdam, Brussels and others front desk staff all speak better English - I know I remember staying at these and more! I recall on a previous visit another member of hotel staff was interpreting for his colleague! This time, I only had to ask to repeat a few times, I was able to understand most of the conversation.

Its got so bad that when I queued for the lift, a conversation of horror stories of double billing, lost bookings and other problems started between guests - We were all complete strangers!

So the story this time, they had not noted all the billing instructions and rate details that had been put in place by our company's hotel booking agency (and no the agency was blameless).

4 x guests, 4 x rooms in our group - the first two guests arrive and are told its not on account and needs to be paid for and no breakfast is not included. The agent is called and the phone is handed over. - We are told that the agent was in error as they had booked at the Novotel head office and not direct with the hotel. How stupid, booking with head office reservations, who would do such a thing! Actually the agency had double confirmed with the hotel as well, because of previous problems. Still the hotel had got it wrong.

I then arrive as the 3rd guest in our party, less than half an hour later and have the same problem. I am asked for a credit card until they can check my booking. (I was on full account billed direct back to the company) A booking they checked 20 mins earlier! I refuse a card and ask them to check while I wait. I get a sigh and a disapproving look. Charming! The receptionist had the booking confirmation in her hand, their copy not mine - with the details printed in black and white. I have no idea what the problem was.

Guest number 4, even after we double confirm with the front desk that when the last person arrives there will no further issue, he is refused the inclusive breakfast.

If this hotel is close to your meetings, you may wish to use it. But allow time to sort the paperwork out during check - in and your credit card afterwards. I am booked in again in November - its their last chance!

I have just noticed that another review has posted similar problems. Please note the other reviewer was not in our party and is independent from this one.

For some reason I had been checked into a room with a sofa bed all set up. I suspect later on someone with a child had to arrange for their sofa to be turned into a bed.

One last moan: The hotel used to be very rare in having glasses for juice at breakfast that were of a sensible size. They must have spotted this, they are now tiny, like many other hotels -shame.

TOP TIP - Don't drink the water, a small bottle in your room is £2.75 - there is a supermarket 90 seconds away, same size bottle for less than 50p..

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear MartynSurrey, please accept our most sincere apologies for what indeed was a misunderstanding between the Hotel and Travel Agent. Your comments have been noted and discussed with the team. Kind Regards, Paulo Bernini.
Sweden
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed for two nights at this hotel that exceeded our expectations. We thought it had the perfect location,a 5-10 min walk away from the Paddington Tubestation. The hotel is one of many high bulidings in this area that mainly consits of offices, there are fast food and cafees in the area and some restaurants. No traffic other than taxis which makes it a calm part of London but the citylife only minutes away with the tube. Rooms and hotel are fresh and clean. The breakfast was great and the automatic pancakemachine was a good start to the day :)
We would really like to return to this hotel and this area, it is suitable for every kind of traveller.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank WomanSweden
Dear WomanSweden, Thank you very much for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Kind regards, Paulo Bernini.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Once you get to your room, it's fine. The bed is comfy, room clean. And the serving staff at breakfast are pleasant.

That's it. That's the positives.

Check in staff are without doubt the worst anywhere. Surly, unpleasant and unhelpful. They also appear to be trained to ignore anything the customer says. The check in procedure is comically slow and a lottery. Heaven help you if you have a corporate booking, they will not have received it, they will expect you to pay for it with your credit card, they will tell you breakfast is not included. They will pout and snarl at you.

It appears they have an offshore processing centre which handles a group booking, but that centre doesn't communicate with the hotel, so all your attempts to arrange the booking in advance is a total waste of effort.

Just avoid this place, there are perfectly good place nearby.

Room Tip: You ought to be able to choose to have a room by the M4 motorway, or one which is right next to an...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank 691Tall_guy691
Dear 691Tall_guy691, I am glad to learn you had a nice stay with us reagardless your experience with the Reception team, which I will be more than happy to investigate, should you wish to contact me via email at h6455-rd@accor.com with the details. Best Regards, Paulo Bernini.
Sydney
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This is our second visit to this hotel and we were not disappointed. It is in a good location, close to Paddington Station and close to hire car depots. The size of the rooms for London are good. They are clean with good sized bathroom. The breakfast is excellent. We also ate in for dinner one evening and the service and food were very good. The hotel looks after both families with children and business travelleres well. Close to Little Venice or Paddington for a variety of restaurants. Rooms are very quiet. Leisure facilities with pool if needed. It is a good location if you are coming off the Heathrow Express and do not want to travel far for an hotel. There is a small supermarket 2 minutes away in the small shopping facilities provided for the offices surrounding the hotel. Just needs a good sized outdoor patio where you can enjoy the remains of the day in summer.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear SydneyNessie, Thanks for your review. I am glad you had a good stay with us.Taking in consideration we have experienced such a lovely weather, Paddington Central, the development administrator of the site where we are based, has organised an outdoor movie screening every day, as ping pong and chess tables right outside the hotel to the end of August, which has been very much appreciated among our guests. Nevertheless, we do have a terrace area available for all guests up in the Mezzanine floor, where you can peacefully seat and enjoy the same lovely weather. We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon. Kind regards, Paulo Bernini.