“Cheap from A to Z, don't expect more than you pay for”

easyHotel Paddington London
Ranked #664 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 14 October 2010

A tad negative on the title there, but I love this hotel! Great location, right next to Paddington station (for Heathrow express trains) while also well located for central London.

It's cheap, so I have not clue whatsoever as to why people complain rooms are small, stairs not wide enough or there's not elevator. They are right, rooms ARE small, tiny in fact. Further, you shouldn't stay here if you're carrying a lot of luggage, as you will need to carry it manually up (possibly) several flights of stairs.

However, for the price, this is a good hotel. No more than for two or three nights, but it's cheap, well located, clean and reception staff are courteous and even recognise me (I've been there on close to 20 short-stays by now)

Beds are good, but they do fill most of the room. Always enough hot water for the long morning shower, but slightly anoying there's no place for toiletries in bathroom.

Wifi and TV usage (rent a remote control!) for en extra fee, but who needs it when all of London is right outside your doorstep??

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank Thomas2000040

Reviewed 2 October 2010

Stayed in this hotel for one night only, thank goodness. A friend booked it for us and warned us it was basic but basic is too flattering a word. He had a windowless "dungeon" in the basement while we had a double overlooking the busy road outside. There was scaffolding at the window which made the room even darker and more depressing. It also meant that that the window had to be kept closed when the builders were working.

We are pensioners, and perhaps because of this, the receptionist kindly helped us to carry our cases up the narrow, steep staircase. The room was the smallest we had ever been in. We could not stand up together, there was not even a shelf for watch/ clock etc and only two hooks. I got the wall side of the bed which meant that going to the loo in night entailed crawling off the end of the bed into the foot of space full of cases and bags.

The bathroom was tiny and the water from the shower flooded into the bedroom.

When you consider how long architects have to study for their qualifications, it beggars belief that one of them designed this place with no regard for comfort or function, never mind aesthetics! Clearly making money is the name of the game here. I dread to think what would happen if there were a fire in those confined spaces.

We could not wait to get out. The thought of spending more than one night there was grim. Perhaps younger travellers could cope better with the lack of comfort and space but needless to say we will not return, nor will we allow aforementioned friend to book us a hotel again.

There is cheap and cheerful and cheap and nasty. This place was the latter!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AppianNorthYorkshire
Reviewed 28 September 2010

I needed somewhere to stay in central London for a few days, and this place did the job admirably - and the price I got it for (£40 a night) is just unheard of in London. It's ultra basic, but clean and professional. The bed was comfy, and the noise from the street wasn't too bad if I kept the windows closed. My only slight grievance was, as a previous reviewer mentioned, there is no space for toiletries in the bathroom - but the quality of the shower (good pressure, nice and warm) made up for that. All in all, if all you need is somewhere to rest your head in London, and you don't want to break the bank, then you can't go far wrong with this place.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 September 2010

We booked the hotel knowing it was budget but didn't quite realise how budget. The room consists of a built in bed base with a matteress on, TV on the wall and 2 hanging hooks. The bathroom didn't even have a shelf so that you could unpack your toiletries.
We paid the extra £5 for 24hrs of TV in order to get the news and sports update during our stay
We arrived at 2pm and after booking in had to leave straight away for an appointment and did not return until 1130pm. Having climbed the strairs, 3 floors up, we got in the room and started to get ready for bed. At this point we found that most of the advertised TV channels were not available, only channels 1-5. The next morning we woke, showered and went to book out. I explained to the reception that i was not happy that having paid the money we could not access all the TV channels, all he could say was that we should have reported it at 11.30 at night, even explaining that we were in our night clothes and there was no phone in the room to call reception and i was not prepared to either get dressed again or walk through a hotel in my night wear didn't work. He still insisted i should have told them at 11.30pm. i asked for a refund and still he said the same and so i then left without a refund very infuriated. I certainly will not be staying at one of these hotels again.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Moonie2011
Reviewed 17 September 2010

Having completed a thorough research of all hotels I planned to stay in Europe, I chose this hotel because of price and location. I read many reviews that explained not to expect a lot and I didn't have high expectations. But, the room WAS small. Having been on a plane for 24 hrs, the small room did not sit well for me. Although the room and the bathroom was clean, bed comfortable and heating/cooling appropriate, it drove my husband and I crazy.
To access our suitcases, we had to plan. I would normally have to sit on the bed, legs up against the wall so my husband could open the suitcases, 1 at a time, to gather clothes we needed for then and later.
When having a shower, the water would leak through into the main room, even when the door was closed. When there was little space to put things, the floor was often the only place left. The bathroom was so tiny, that when sitting on the toilet, the handbasin was basically just above your lap.
I think this hotel would suit those staying for 1 day or 2. No longer, or else you will surely get cabin fever, even if you are out and about sightseeing.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kronky81
Reviewed 14 September 2010

good thing about his hotel is the location every thing else is a crap starting from receptionist to room quality and cleaness.Not worth it.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank hungary57
Reviewed 8 September 2010

I'm generally not that demanding and can tolerate some pretty average places. But this hotel is chuff. Two normal size adults can't both stand in the room at the same time. The suitcase just about fit up the stairs, but I might as well not have bothered since it then took up half the room. Even if it was cheap, which it wasn't, it wouldn't be worth putting up with. Don't bother.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple