“Ok, but a bit disappointed”
Review of 274 Suites

274 Suites
Ranked #443 of 956 Speciality Lodging in London
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Needed some fairly last minute, value for money accommodation for a business trip in London. Everything close to the City was incredibly expensive with only 2 days to go until trip, but via Booking.com found this place at £105 per night. Described as suites, with kitchen facilities, room safe etc, it was in fact a studio room and not very impressive. Bed was ok, kitchen facilities were very dated, didn't particularly look clean, bathroom ok, room safe was broken. As other reviewers have described it was hard to find at first, and the stairway up to the rooms is a bit steep and dingy. For £105 per night I would expect better, it was certainly not in the same league regarding comfort etc as say an Ibis, but last minute couldn't get a sniff of such places for less than £150 per night. A colleague even paid £180 per night for a Premier Inn- I didn't know they had such high prices!!

Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 3 April 2013 via mobile

The first problem you encounter is finding where to check in. The check in office is at No 274 West End Lane and I know it looks like the office of an Estate Agent. Go past Dominos and Nandos but if you reach the Japanese restaurant you have gone too far. I passed it 3 times before I realised
The accommodation was across the road next to the pub which was a first for me
Slightly disconcerting to see all the fault lights flashing on the fire alarm at the bottom of the stairs but I climbed the staircase to my room not really sure what to expect

The room was surprisingly spacious with a good sized bathroom and a kitchenette hidden in the cupboard. Overlooking the main road it was noisy but not excessively

The major down point of the stay was the bed - it creaked and groaned ever time I moved which was highly annoying for me but I felt for the person staying next door as they must have got no sleep at all

As a place to stay to visit London it is worth a look and it offers good value. Would I stay again - probably, provided I did not get the same bed

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 6 January 2013

We stayed at 274 Suites in West Hampstead for 16 nights from 16th Dec until we left on 1st Dec. It is not luxurious and is a studio flat and small but is clean and comfortable and value for the money we paid which was 80 Pds per night. Its location was ideal for us as our son and hisgirlfriend whom we came across for to see him graduate with his Masters and to spend Christmas with live one tube stop away in Frognal - Finchley Rd tube stop.
We had room 11 which is at the front and accessible from the front office of Hampstead Suites on West End Lane. This room was very quiet and had all the amenities that you need, i.e. microwave, cooker and fridge. The only problem we had was with the TV for which the remote did not work properly and will need to be replaced. However we did not come to watch TV so was not a bother.
The location is superb and West Hampstead Tube station and overground station at Thames Link are only a few minutes walk away. The big plus is that West Hampstead tube station is connected to the Jubilee line which takes you into Central London as well as to Shepherds Bush wehere there is a big Westfield Shopping Mall as well as a Jamie Olivers Olivers Italian restaurant which we enjoyed and recommend. There is a huge range of shops on West End Lane including a number and variety of restaurants and also a couple of English pubs to go to which we enjoyed.
As we were out most of the time we stayed at the studio flat we cannot say whether the size of the flat would become too claustophobic but certainly we were more than happy with what we had paid for and the staff at reception were pleasant as well. Would stay here again and would recommmend.

Room Tip: Room 11 accessible from reception off West End Rd is very quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 November 2012

The room was OK, clean and of good size but as I was at the front of the Suites on the road, it was very noisy with traffic and passerbys. The windows did not not keep the noise out. It is also difficult to find.

Room Tip: Do not go for a room on the street.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank andersongs111
Reviewed 25 October 2012

The price is a decent deal for London. The location is fantastic, near lots of cafes and shops and the Tube. It's hard to find because it looks like a real estate office, not a hotel. We arrived around 11pm and the office was still open locked, but the door to the rooms themselves was unlocked to the street. Can't the guests be kept as safe as the staff? We had to pay up front.

The room is small but this was expected. It was nice to have the extra sink in the kitchenette and the shower had great water pressure. The wifi connection was among the best I've ever had in a hotel. Otherwise, they really need to start over with a new housekeeping staff. There was plastic melted on one of the stove burners, the furniture was covered with all manner of mysterious stains as was the windowshade (how do you even get the windowshade that dirty?!) and when we checked for bedbugs we found crumbs on the mattress. That night we both dreamed about bugs, so the state of the room did have some psychological effect I guess!

I can't really say whether I'd stay there again. As I mentioned, the location and wifi were really great and the price was nice for London. It's a particularly good location for me as I was visiting friends nearby. There was so much soap and shampoo in the bathroom it actually gave us a laugh. However, it really needs to be cleaned up - cleanliness is #1 when it comes to staying in a strange bed and room! When there are stains all over the bedside table you start to wonder what else has been let go...

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CNHeidelberg
Reviewed 5 September 2012

Budget rooms appear to be made for very small people. But overall it was fine. Tv way too small, couldn't see it but the location of the premises was ok and it served its purpose. Very close to public transport and supermarkets. We would have stayed a second night but was booked out.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 18 August 2012

Clean, modern room in good location. Bathroom small but sufficient. Bed was large and comfy. Would defiantly go back or recommend. We stayed 2 nights but would be comfortable for more. Easy access to tube just 500m or so away. West Hampsted was reasonably quiet for London and has some lovely places to eat.

• Stayed: August 2012