“Irish solo Traveler”

Ranked #439 of 931 Speciality Lodging in London
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Location; Excellent,resturants &tube ,train station
Price; Expensive
Rooms; Need some painting &update furniture. TV could have better Sky channels to choose from
Security on Front Door;; Unhappy with the locking system ,door requires replacing

Room Tip: Room 16 to the back of the building will help to reduce the street noise. Hopefully get a good nigh...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Within 30 minutes of check in I phoned booking.com to complain due to the unbelievable amount of noise! Single glazing without even the most basic (and cheap) draft proofing!!! We were told that the manager wasn't in and the best we could hope for if we left that night was the 2nd night refunded... Tired from a full week of work and paying the cost of getting there we hoped for a better solution in the morning, after a full night of no sleep we headed out at 7am to get a call at 12.45 offering a room change that had to be completed by 13.30 racing back to change rooms it ruined our day and the no sleep the night before ruined our Valentines weekend because by 5pm on the Saturday we were so tired that all we wanted to do was sleep- far from the intention of the weekend! The rooms were both shocking, old and in need off TLC! Even the basics of a welcome drink were shot by having no milk even though we had 3 different cheap coffees, 2 horrible teas and only brown sugar to go with the odd arrange of cups! To say a full array of cooking untenils is a down right lie you even had to boil a kettle on the bed side table (after buying milk and coffee from the local shop) rather than in the "kitchen". Having spent years working in the industry they need a new manager to get standards up, £200 badly spent! Roll on next weekend when I can catch up on a severe weekend of very little sleep, my only saviour is that I had more sleep than my boyfriend !!!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dan T
Reviewed 3 July 2013

I stayed in a one person efficiency for a week. The room itself was sized as expected for the area, and the amenities were as expected, and generally clean and acceptable. The staff were pleasant and courteous. What I didn't expect was the mold on the bathroom ceiling. It appeared as though there had been a leak from the unit above, and they never bothered to repair it. I draw the line at mold. It's is an economy lodging, so I wasn't expecting The Ritz, but this unresolved issue has taken my review down from an acceptable 3.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 June 2013

I recently stayed here and I would never do so again. Whilst it was fairly good value for a room in West Hampstead (which is a good area of London), the experience was poor. The staff were unhelpful and I could hear their phone ringing and them talking at all hours, the room was small and dirty, the bed was horrible and had burn holes in the mattress, the pillows were covered in stains, towels had stains on them, there were holes in the walls, the safe didn't work.

If you really need somewhere in the area then it might just about be okay, or perhaps you'd get a better room than I did - but I'd certainly never go back - even if it was free I'd think long and hard.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank simon t
Reviewed 27 June 2013

I stayed in a room at 274 Suites for 6 nights recently, and, having somehow managed to read some positively glowing reviews of the place beforehand, I was sorely disappointed when we got there. Where to begin...

The bed: the least comfortable bed I have ever had the misfortune to try to sleep in - and I have slept in hostel beds in China! It was hard and lumpy, and didn't even really feel like a proper mattress.

Security: We were given a room on the ground floor next to reception. The door from reception into the room is a proper solid front door with a good lock on it. However, since reception is closed for some of the night, they have also installed a second door so that one can access the room round the back of the building. This door looks more like a flimsy internal door, and the Yale lock is broken on it, as is the chain. Indeed the only thing between you and the dark alley outside is a single deadlock. My fiance noted that there is a camera in the alley - but WHY do you suppose that is?! We felt so unsafe and took our valuables with us every day rather than leaving them in the room.

Noise: Being next to reception was not fun. The phone rings through the night some nights (they don't switch it off when they leave). So too, EVERY morning, the receptionist's friend came to see her around 7:30/8am, and proceeded to jabber away loudly in an extremely piercing tone, thereby waking me up. No chance of me getting over my extreme jet lag here!

One positive: good shower.

I really would not stay here again. I would much rather pay just a little bit more for security, peace of mind, and a comfortable night's sleep!

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 20 June 2013

My wife and I paid £218 for 2 nights stay. The room was next to busy pub; the room was unacceptably dirty, stains, grease around switches, mould in shower room, the area outside the bedroom window was covered in bird droppings . My wife was understandably upset, and we decided that we could not sleep in a room of this standard. We had to book a different hotel in the city centre at a cost to us of £367. There were some glowing Trip Advisor reviews of 274 Hampstead Suites. Hmmmm?

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Firstly it wasn't bad for the price I suppose, I spent £128 for me and my girlfriend for two nights and as a last minute deal that wasn't too bad. For a tip by the way the place your looking for when you check in is called London Lets and it looks closed at first glance but it is open. We never really had a good welcome as the young girl on the desk was on the phone dealing with someone. I stood there which must have been 15 minutes before she even acknowledged me. eventually she said, fill this form in and then gave me a key. The room looked clean on first glance but in the morning we realised we had slept with someone's hair in the bed and quite a lot of it, it was dark and very long so not my girlfriends hair. The day we checked out there was no hot water in the place so we resorted to boiling the kettle, as we only had an hour before we checked out ( 12pm is the check out time) we didn't see the point reporting it but got told off at reception because we didn't, (she said we could have fixed it... as I said because we was leaving I didn't see the pint and I doubt anyone would have got there on time). Not the best stay I have ever had in London to be fair. Oh if you do go and your disabled don't bother as there is not lift just lots and lots of stairs.

Room Tip: Don't book if you are disabled as there are no lifts only lots and lots of stairs
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple