“Staff extremely mixed”

Ranked #338 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Errol, United Kingdom
“Staff extremely mixed”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We had an odd experience at this hotel. We arrived in London on the Caledonian Sleeper from Edinburgh (i.e. very early!) and although we were aware we wouldn't be able to check in at 7 am in the morning we wanted to leave our bags at the hotel.

On arriving, the hotel seemed fine from the outside. Sussex Gardens is a night street - very close to Hyde Park, and with good rail links nearby. There are many similar hotels on the street and the Metropolis didn't look particularly better or worse than any others.

However, as we walked towards the door we noticed that two members of staff were smoking literally on the doorstep. They barely moved out of way, didn't greet us, and only helped us with the door when they saw that I was really struggling with my luggage. The reception area was fine but looked more like a 3* than the advertised 4* standard. There were lots of messy folders at the reception desk. The member of staff on reception didn't greet us or smile at us, and just looked slightly annoyed to be interrupted. His English wasn't brilliant and eventually he went to get another member of staff as we seemed to be having trouble communicating. The staff member who came out then was pleasant and helpful.

We left our bags and returned later in the day to check in and collect the bags. The bell boy was very polite and friendly but asked me to come through to the storage room to pick my bag out, which I found a bit odd. We were informed at reception that the hotel was experiencing problems with its boiler and we were being upgraded to a 5* hotel by Marble Arch. I can't fault them for this, as its exactly what should be done in such a situation, although it was a pity because we would rather have stayed in a different hotel on Sussex Gardens.

A taxi was called for (and paid for) to take us the new hotel. I don't know if the taxi driver had any link with the hotel but he was awful - slamming on the breaks, driving badly, and then dropped us at the wrong hotel!

So all in all a very mixed opinion!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Shaftesbury Metropolis for your recent visit to London.

We consider the guest feedback of paramount importance whether good or bad. I would like to apologies for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay.
It would be highly appreciated if you could contact me on dm@shaftesburymetropolitan.com or you can call me on the number given below as per your earliest convenience so we can discuss this further.

Once again, kindly accept our sincere apologies

Thank you very much.

Yours Sincerely,
Gourav Gupta

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 1 February 2014

I stayed there end of Jan for a business trip. I recommend it for any business or leisure trip because of the great location (walking distance from Oxford St, Hyde Park and just 3min away from Paddington tube stations and train)! The staff is very friendly and helpful. Rooms are all you need in central London and the price is very competitive. Do not hesitate to choose that hotel! I will come back again!

• Stayed January 2014
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Dear Laurent,

Thank you for choosing the Shaftesbury Metropolis and thank you for taking the time to review your stay.
I was very happy to learn that you had a good stay with us and I appreciate you recommending the hotel.
I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

kind regards,

Corsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2014

We recently spent 3 nights at the Metropolis to celebrate my husband's birthday. The staff were very pleasant and most helpful. The hotel is convenient for Paddington and the tube, but also within walking distance of Marble Arch /Hyde Park. We were lucky enough to be upgraded to a club room which was very clean with good facilities and a modern bathroom. There was plenty of choice and something for all tastes at the buffet breakfast. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend this hotel. We visit London from time to time and will definitely stay at the Metropolis again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us at the Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park and for your honest review which is very much appreciated.

We are indeed pleased to know that your stay was satisfactory in every aspect and was comfortable too.

We are also delighted to know that you enjoyed our services and full buffet breakfast. We pride ourselves of maintaining high standards within our product and all the departments and the comments like this will help us to maintain our high level of service.

We will look forward to welcome you back to provide you the superior service and do let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Yours Sincerely,
Gourav Gupta
Larkhall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Stayed for four nights and was pleasantly surprised. I visit London a lot on buisness and began avoiding the Paddington area hotels like the plague as they are generally extremely over priced and not up too much in the way of amenities and cleanliness. Due to circumstances beyond my control I had no choice but to stay in Paddington this time and was lucky enough to find this little gem which ticked all the boxes, clean, comfortable, everything in the room you could possibly need, good shower and great staff. If I'm honest though I got a bargain deal and my budget wouldn't stretch to their full price so although I am in London for around 6 months of the year regrettably I may not get to stay again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Nigel C
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Dear Nigel,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for taking the time to review your stay.
I am very happy you were pleasantly surprised by our service and standard and I appreciate your kind words.
Please do not hesitate to contact me directly so that we can discuss any future booking.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend and I found this hotel very comfortable and clean. For a mid range hotel in central London we found no compelling faults.
The room was a little dark but this should not be too much of a problem for sight seers and people on business that need somewhere to recharge in the evenings.
The staff were very kind and helpful. Thank you for being so understanding when my girlfriend was feeling unwell

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park and thank you for sharing your comments.
I am glad you had an enjoyable stay with us and I am very grateful for your kind words about our staff.
I hope you had a safe journey back home and I hope your girlfriend is now feeling better.

Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

Very great hospitality. Staff are very helpful, prompt and professional. They have free internet, free business center and location is great. It is close to Paddington station and a bus stop. My room was small but it had all I need except the minibar.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Sulaimanali
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, 26 January 2014
Dear Guest,

thank you for staying with us and thank you for taking the time to share your comments.
I am very happy you had a pleasant stay with us and I am very grateful for your kind words about the staff.
I hope we will have the pleasure to have you stay with us again in the near future.
Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require any assistance.

kind regards,
Hampshire, UK
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Stayed in room 119 which was ideal for me as I was a solo traveller and had ordered a double bed instead of a single. Managed to get a good price for a short stay so cant complain about the room. Yes it was a little on the small side, but it was clean, warm and had tea/coffee and complimentary fruit. A safe and a flat screen tv finished things off nicely. The staff were friendly and breakfast was more than adequate. My only slight gripe was that the tea/coffee is from a machine!
The area has loads of restaurants particularly ethnic malay & thai close by and Edgware Road and it's middle eastern restaurants are minutes away. If i got the same deal again i wouldn't hesitate to stay here.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park for your recent stay in London and thank you for taking the time to share your experience.
I was very happy to learn you had a good time with us and I was particularly pleased with your comments about our staff.
I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you to the hotel again in the near future and should you need any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.