“Great staff”

Ranked #324 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Bristol
“Great staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

I stayed one night in the hotel and had the pleasure of being looked after in particular by 2 members of the staff, Archie and Angelo, who did everything to ensure my stay was enjoyable including serving drinks during one of the World Cup games so I didn't have to move!

The location was excellent, 5 minutes from Paddington and Hyde Park, there were ample newspapers to amuse whilst having coffee and there are some very good local restaurants specialising in Middle and Far Eastern cusine.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Guest,

We thank you for your lovely comments about our premises & the staff we will pass you comments to concern staff.

We hope you will be back soon and for assistance write to me on dm@shaftesburymetropolitan.com

Kind Regards
Gourav Gupta

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

I'll start with the positive, as there are some. The hotel was clean and in a nice part of Paddington. It felt well kept and my room didn't show signs of much wear & tear. Close to Hyde Park and the Paddington station. Places to eat/drink/etc nearby. Staff was a bit daft but overall they meant well. Pleasant people but on to the negative.

London is notorious for tiny hotel rooms and this is no exception. I was 'upgraded' when I arrived which meant I got a full size bed and not a twin like some of my co-workers. My window simply looked into the hallway - not sure if that's how they get away with calling it a room but I had a nice view of my neighbors door. Awkward. The bathroom was tight for a guy my size (6'2") but I imagine it would be a cramp fit for anyone taller than 5 foot. Parking is not easy - not much option.

Most importantly, I had the 'do not disturb' sign on my room for my whole stay, as I usually do. But the cleaning crew cleaned it anyway. Long story short - wedding band gone. I don't think it was stolen as that doesn't seem to be the case but I do think it was inadvertently tossed in the trash. Their reaction was, "Are you sure you didn't lose it somewhere else?" Oy. I had them search the trash which turned up nothing but I can't confirm they truly did that. They offered me nothing in return for losing my wedding ring and seemed to be annoyed at me that I kept asking if it had 'turned up.' I would not stay at this location again based off this solely. Im still offended they've done nothing to attempt to make this situation correct. For the money, there are better places nearby you can stay at and hopefully keep your jewelry.

Room Tip: Request a full size/double bed or get stuck with a twin like at overnight camp. Best suggestion, is...
1 Thank underwaterman
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your comments and we take our guest feedback as paramount to our success and work on them as far as possible.

As per your feedback, we have investigated & would like to confirm you that we checked in all the relevant places including rubbish Bins but could not found any ring. As per Manager in charge, On the day of departure we also apologies and informed you about the out come & also the reason why cleaning crew went to your room.

In regards to room, Your booking was for single room and we offered you double room. However, I would like to apologies, for the inconvenience caused.

Please do write to us when you plan your future visit & we surly do the needful to store your faith back in us.

Kind Regards,
Gourav Gupta

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Washington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

Staying in London for a two day conference and wanted a room for one night close to Edgeware Road. No real knowledge of hotels in the area, however, aware that London hotels can be somewhat "overpriced" and not particularly not prepared to pay the price at the Hilton.

Hotel easy to find, and just a short walk from both Paddington and Edgeware Road tube station.

View on arrival impressive, had booked online, and found check in process extremely straight forward, and was in my room (in the basement) within a couple of minutes. Had been upgraded to a club room, which had a double bed (not a king) and a single bed. Room bigger than I expected for London and quite well equipped, with a flat screen tv, tea and coffee making facilities, microwave, airconditioning unit, free (reasonably good) wifi and a safe.

Bathroom (down a little step) connected to room was small but fine, with toilet, sink, bath with shower and plenty of towels (obviously room equipped for 3).

Bed quite comfortable and had a good nights sleep, although woken at 6:45 by noise of plumbing in an room above me (but not too much of an issue as alarm set for 7:00). Nice to have options for breakfast, and really enjoyed the cooked breakfast.

Would definately consider returning to this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. We are really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. It was a pleasure to read about our team’s friendliness and also your comments about our hotel in room amenities and also about breakfast.

We will surely wait for your next visit & always be motivated to give you warm welcome back in the near future.

Best Regards
Bucharest, Romania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

Nice hotel 10 minutes away from marble arch and oxford street - buses & metro station nearby (500 m away). Rooms are kind of small but this is London ... but the furniture and painting is new.
Very good breakfast.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent booking with us here at the Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park.
Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us you feed back especially about our Breakfast, helps us to maintain standard.
Please write to me when your plan your trip to London, I will be happy to assist you and we will certainly keep big size rooms for you. You can write to me on - dm@shaftesburymetropolitan.com
Thank you again for taking the time to complete the survey. Look forward to have you back.
Yours Sincerely,
Washington, DC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

I should have walked out when I saw the person helping me with my luggage hit the down button on the elevator. I had booked a double room, and they "upgraded" me to a Club room...which was in the basement! The bathroom was about the size of a coat closet. I couldn't even use the toilet without my legs bumping into the wall! Then, behind the sink it was just full of mold, which made me concerned about how well the rest of the room was cleaned. Since it was in the basement, the only natural light was a small window that was below the street sidewalk. The bed, when you sat down on it, bowed like the cheapest mattress ever! I didn't sleep well at all, waking up with a stiff back. If this is an upgraded room, then I'm glad I didn't have to see a regular room!

Location was good, just a few blocks from Paddington and on a bus line that will take you down to Buckingham Palace. Service was good at the front desk, allowing for early check in and late check out. But nothing will make up for that room!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing Shaftesbury Metropolis for your recent stay with us. I was very sorry to read about your stay at the hotel. We always appreciate feedback from our guests as this helps us to improve our service and product.
I will certainly look into cleanliness as you have mentioned and will surely be do the needful.In regards to room size, our bedrooms are much bigger than average London room with all the amenities.
However, please do let us know about your future stay & we will upgrade your room to higher category, which are much bigger in size.
Once again thank you for your feedback and Please contact me directly for any further reservations and I shall make sure we restore your faith back in us.

Best regards
Belfast
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

I booked the Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park 1 day before travelling and on the day of arrival I was told that they have some refurbishments that required a change of hotel. I was changed to another location which was out of the way and not as good as the other. I was told that I had booked a single room which was not the case and given the smallest room with a double bed squeezed in. The fan in the bathroom was noisy and I felt like I was sitting on top of the hotel's air conditioning system which droned on all night long. I didn't get any sleep for 2 nights. I would not recommend booking either the Shaftesbury Metropolis or Shaftesbury Premier

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs
3 Thank Philip519
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Shaftesbury Metropolis for your recent visit to London.

We consider the guest feedback of paramount importance whether good or bad. I would like to apologies for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay.
It would be highly appreciated if you could contact me on dm@shaftesburymetropolitan.com as per your earliest convenience so we can discuss this further.

Once again, kindly accept our sincere apologies

Thank you very much.

Yours Sincerely,
Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

The receptionist was friendly and efficient, the corridors to our room would have been a bit tricky had we been travelling with large luggage, and we did have an initial struggle with the electronic lock on our room door. The room itself, however, was clean and comfortable. It may not have been expansive, but it was not cramped either, and was perfectly adequate for our overnight stay. The room was quiet, the bed comfortable, and the air conditioning quiet, efficient and easy to control. We were surprised not to find a bar on the premises, although drinks could have been had by way of room service, but the pub just over the road was comfortable, welcoming and well stocked with food and drink. We gave the hotel breakfast a miss as expensive for just a Continental, but felt well rested after a good nights' sleep!

• Stayed May 2014
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking time to share your wonderful review.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stays with us. I will certainly pass your feedback to all reception staff .Thank you for your positive comments about the Hotel.
Hope to welcome you back soon!
Kind Regards