“Beautiful location.”

Astor Hyde Park Hostel
Ranked #38 of 896 Speciality Lodging in London
Reviewed 25 March 2012

This was by far the best hostel I stayed in while in London. In fact, I've stayed here 3 times now.
The beds are comfortable, the bathrooms clean, the breakfasts plentiful and the wi-fi always in working order.
The location is the best thing of all. It's just a short stroll to the left to get to the museum quarter, with the Natural History Museum and the Victoria and Albert Museum being highlights for me. Turn right, and in all of 2 minutes you're in Hyde Park.
There's a tube station a 10 minute amble away, and 2 bus stops just around the corner, which provide a service late into the night straight to or from many of West End's theatres.
Best of all, Kensington just feels safe. So if you're travelling alone (I was), and walking around here late at night in the dark, you don't feel as though you constantly have to look over your shoulder or into dark alleys. It's just a great area, and the people at the hostel are so friendly that you're bound to find some buddies to hang out with!

Room Tip: It's worth getting a room with an ensuite, and if you can get a room that faces Queensgate to ge...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Astor Hyde Park Hostel

Reviewed 18 March 2012

Just spend a couple of hours sleeping on this hostel, and the dorm was really nice with lots of space. Didnt notice about the cleanliness, since was just for a short period of time, but its seems to be ok.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 February 2012

I agree this is a great location, very close to hyde park, a tube station, and Kensington is lovely. However, I wouldnt stay in this Hostel again, my jacket and a friends was stolen from my room ( I was sharing a 6 bed with 6 friends..and I know it wasnt one of them!) The room wasn't very secure, and the staff didnt seem to care or offer much help in this regard. The bathroom bin was full of rubbish etc when we arrived and the room couldnt be more basic. I suppose you get what you pay for...

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Iano_1234
Reviewed 19 January 2012

This is really a great place within a stone's throw from Hyde Park where I could go walking or jogging in the morning before all the citylife even began! :] The building itself is also impressive and unusually beautiful as for a hostel. The rooms are cozy, nice, clean... The staff also friendly. The free breakfast was also surprisingly delicious and abundant.:] (I had never seen such a wide variety of cereal before!).....and a banana or apple...:P The only drawback is the age limit - 35. I really don't think it's a good idea cause you can easily meet older guys who behave much better than 15-year-olds , age not being the deciding factor...

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 December 2011

We stayed here in July for 2 nights, a quick stop before travelling on to the rest of Europe...

We stayed in a private room with ensuite. The room was small and very basic, bed, drawers & rubbish bin. The bathroom was actually the better part of the room. Our room looked onto a alleyway, the second door leading onto the alleyway could not be opened and the only window we had could only be opened about 30 centimetres a security measure i think? Was very hot during the night though so we slept with the window open and it was still hot. Also there were no drapes so we were up as soon as the sun came up which didn't help with our jetlag.

The breakfast is very basic but still nice that they include it. The hostel staff are really great always friendly and know quite a lot! The hostel also organises pub crawls and drinks etc but we were so tired from sightseeing all day and the jet lag so we only went to the drinks they had in the hostel.

The hostel is located sort of between Gloucester Rd & South Kensington tube stations, about 10 minutes each way and Hyde Park is only just up the road. Unfortunately there are no places to really eat that are close by..

While this place might be ok for some, it was too far away for us and we'd definitely stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dkia
Reviewed 12 November 2011

My husband and I stayed in a private room. Although very small and very basic, the room was clean and comfortable. There is no phone, no tv, and not really much room for lots of luggage, but they do have the basics: bed, shower, toilet, and sink. I would stay there again as it was only 60 pounds during the royal wedding.

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed 10 September 2011

I travel a lot and mostly alone, so I prefer to stay in hostels as it usually is cheaper.
I´ve been to London several times in different hostels and I´ve seen a lot - this hostel is definitely one of the best London has to offer.

The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, fun too because they´re also organizing the hostel parties in the kitchen (which you don´t hear when you´re up in your room, that´s a plus too) or pub crawls etc.

The room (6-bed-dorm) was perfectly clean, bathroom (including toilet and shower) too - it was the cleanest hostel I have ever seen before.

Many people complain about the size of the rooms, that they´re too small. My room was on the second floor and perfectly sized - even for 6 people.
However people coming to London seem to forget that rooms tend to be smaller here in general, even a *** to **** Hotel has extremely small rooms - fellow readers, take this into consideration before complaining about it.
That´s London - live with it.

I also checked the bed for bedbugs - nothing there (I had bad experience with those before, in the US).

The street is a little busy (could be worse though), so if you´re need quiet to sleep, ask for a room to the back or get ear plugs, I always have them with me but I´m especially sensible to noise - however, hostels never will be totally quiet, so again, live with it.

I didn´t make it to Breakfast ever, unfortunately, so no rating from me there, but I heard it was okay.

The hostel is cleaned every day, every room, the stairs - so always perfectly clean.

As a regular visitor to London I will definitely stay in this hostel again and can only recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo