“Dirty!!!!!!”

The Regal Guest House
The Regal Guest House
Ranked #348 of 577 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 August 2011

We arrived late and went out immediately to eat so we did not have a good look at the room. My first impression was "Shabby - Nothing like the photo's!". Room was tiny, mismatched furniture. Double bed replaced by 2 singles as a result the besside light at the foot of one bed. When we returned we had a closer look - grubby walls, dust and hair everywhere, filthy light switches, dirth coffee mugs. Worse shock to come - our sheets were NOT clean! Rumpled and not just out of a dryer! Head indentations on the pillow and hairs and stains on the sheets!!!. The duvet cover was smelly and stained. I tried to rouse the landlady to no avail. Unfortunately the hotel across the road was full and considering that it was past midnight we made the best of it sleeping on the cleanest bits in our dirty clothes.
The shower, loo and basin were dirty too with toothpaste lips on the glass and the bathmat was slimy it was so grubby. Thank god for throughaway travel face cloths!!
Because we needed to leave our luggage there after check-out we kept quiet at breakfast. The smoke alarm sounded off constantly during breakfast too.
On the plus side our luggage was stored safely and we were given a key to keey to retrive our luggage on return. The trust the landlady showed in us was refreshing but not worth the filthy room!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Disgusted05

Reviewed 8 July 2011

July 8th, 2011 - Made a reservation for my father for when he visits next week. Got promised by the landlady that the room is reserved and that there's no need in a deposit, only to confirm on Friday 8th July if my father is arriving or not. Called on Friday as agreed, and was told very rudely that there are no rooms available. When I complained about the lack of service and false reservation - she replied that I can complain till tomorrow, but it won't change the fact that there's no room and she didn't care that I now have no accommodation for my father... or in her words: "they are your guests, not mine..." when asked what do I do now. Made a mistake by not trusting the previous reviews who warned about this hotel and the horrendous service! Lesson now learned... Do yourselves and others a favour and stay away - maybe if enough people vote with their feet, the landlady will learn her lesson that lying to your customers and treating them badly hurts.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank RockUK_11
Reviewed 15 June 2011

Myself, my partner and a friend stayed at the guest house on 27th May and 28th May. We were greeted by the owner who we found to be pleasant, polite and very helpful providing as much information about the local area, where to go, how to get there etc.

Myself and my partner had been double booked into a room and therefore we were upgraded to a double, double room with a shower and bath which was a pleasant surprise!

The beds were hard and slightly uncomfortable but no bed is ever as good as your own! The guest house was lovely and tidy throughout with ample parking spaces outside (although you may get blocked in if it is at a busy time).

As mentioned already the website states that cards can be used for payment - this is untrue and cash must be the method of payment only, also contrary to their website the breakfast is not included in the price but there are lots of local cafes nearby (although Golder's Green is a majority Jewish area and a lot of the cafes serve Jewish food / specialities which might not be to everyone's taste). We ate at the Imperial Cafe and had a full English breakfast and a juice for £6 each.

The tube is just up the road from the guest house and ideal for commuting into London. Tip - if you are staying at this guest house (or anywhere in the tube area) and intend on making more than one journey on the tube you can purchase an Oyster Card for £3 (deposit which is refundable on the return of the card) which you then load up with money. I used about £11 of all weekend and travelled from Golder's Green to Waterloo and back as well as other journeys. It works out at half price what it would be to pay at each stop - and far more convenient!

Overall a nice place to stay in a nice area.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Garfield1983
Reviewed 7 April 2011

My partner & myself stayed at The Regal for one night to attend a party at the Castle Pub in Finchley.
Contrary to some previous reviews, we found the lady on the reception desk extreamly friendly & helpful.
Our room was absolutely great. Very homely. Comfortable bed, great shower (with plenty of pressure) & tea/coffee making facilities. Unlike some hotels that we have stayed in (we often travel to London for the weekend) "EVERYTHING WORKED" ie: charged batteries in the TV remote, light bulbs lit, clean bathroom & bedroom.
As for the breakfast, well what can I say FANTASTIC. Fresh orange juice, large pot of tea, lot's of toast & a lovely "full english".
The breakfast room was very homely & welcoming with very attractively set out tables.
We will definately be returning. Fantastic all round package.
WELL DONE Regal Hotel.
From the "Rod Stewart" fan. Hope to see you soon.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dennyg28
Reviewed 26 February 2011

We have now stayed at this B&B five times. The first time as an emergency when the originally booked B&B was closed when we arrived in London.
This B&B is walking distance from Golders Green underground and bus station, making it very convenient for travel into central London, and not far from the North Circular.

Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Mazawatea
Reviewed 11 August 2009

The stay didn't start well, with a very unfriendly welcome from the "happy" lady on the reception desk. Despite booking on the internet where it said they accepted credit/debit cards, she wouldn't take one; "Cash only" she grunted. It also said breakfast was included in the price we had paid online, so we were surprised when she told us breakfast would be an extra £5.00 per person per day.
Up to the room, which we weren't shown to, we had to work out where it was for ourselves. Very small, paint peeling, TV signal very poor, splats of god-knows what up the walls in the bathroom. Hard mattress, loose light fittings, I could go on.
Not somewhere I'll be staying again...ever.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
5  Thank Loz1982
Reviewed 16 February 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed for 2 nights at The Regal Guest House and while it wasn't terrible, it could have been a lot better.

We had an incredibly rude and frosty welcome from the lady at reception who quite frankly looked annoyed that we were bothering her. When my bf went to pay by card she barked "NO CARDS" at us despite the fact the website said we could pay by card. Very unhelpful and rude!!

The room itself was fair - Quite small but clean and with everything we needed (kettle, TV, shower etc.) However the beds and pillows were very uncomfortable and the room was stuffy so we had trouble sleeping.

The location was very nice with many places to eat and shop around the corner from the room, however I would advise people to look around before booking here.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank beakyboo