“Great for the price”
Review of Hostel 63

Hostel 63
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Hostel 63
Ranked #601 of 908 Speciality Lodging in London
Reviewed 2 September 2012

When I booked the hostel I didn't read the reviews first. When I looked through them after the booking was confirmed I became very concerned. However, most of what has been written is rubbish. I found the staff busy, but very willing to stop what they were doing and help. The way they charge for rooms is a little hard to grasp (if they upgrade you) and could do with prior warning, but the staff went out of their way to explain everything 3 times to me and I found them very accomodating.
The breakfast was very basic, but was free and very tasty.The cutlery was clean, the breakfast room was clean. We had a double room with bunkbeds. I'd take a torch as there were no lamps, but it was clean and comfortable. It was noisy as we were next to the bathroom - but its all about what o expect for such a small amount of money .... The bathrooms weren't brilliant.... but compared to showers at a campsite they were very usable. They werent filthy, but other people use them, so they weren't immaculate. Again, its what I'd expect from a hostel.
The outside area was lovely, though we only used the hostel as a base, so spent no time hanging out there.
I found the bed linen fresh and clean, the pillows flatish, but very usable. Thebed creaked, but it is a bunkbed... the stairs were hard going if you aren't very fit, the paintwork and carpets were a bit tatty but were clean. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from a bathroom as its very noisy. The staff are pretty helpful and seemed happy to t...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 July 2012 via mobile

Stayed for a week at the end of June. Not a very nice place but we were in a private room so not to bad. Facilities weren't great- the bathroom was out I order for most of our stay meaning we had to go up three flights of creaky stairs every morning and evening. Matresses were horrid and room felt very hot. Having said all this, the location is fanastic and didn't have any trouble with staff they all seemed proficient. Expensive for what it is really, but what else can you expect from a London hostel during the summer?

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Just checked in yesterday and had an absolutely great day. BBQ out the back with a tv set up especially for the EUROs final and great afternoon with geat people. Its not a 5 star hotel and thats reflected in the price. Loads of hostels in the area but this one allows fun. Good times. Recommended.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 April 2012

If you need somewhere to stay close to amenities and easy travel etc- Hostel 63 is fine- if you are a clean freak then stay clear. We are in our 60s- the hotel is run by young foreigners mostly- like their clientele- we found them friendly and very helpful..the toilets were cleaned regularly and okay the beds are knackered, the mattresses are worn out and the place has a well worn feel to it...but if you just want a bed for the night- its fine. the website ought to be changed- the continental breakfast is actually- help yourself to tea n coffee- in a tiny kitchen but it works..wifi available...I wouldn't want to stay too long- but what do you expect for the price...we thoroughly enjoyed our two nights there...and there is a lot going on in the local pubs too if you don't want to go into the city

Room Tip: We were on the top floor- maybe a bit quieter- floorboards creak a lot!!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 September 2011

Ok the good first, Staff was great very friendly and informative. Location is good as well 5-10 min walk to Bayswater Station and to Hyde Park.

Now the bad... It was dirty like nasty dirty (lobby smelt if mildew and luggage storage room was this dirty dirty room in the basement that REEKED of mold. The kitchen was surprisingly clean but everything else Dirty Dirty Dirty. One of the landings going up the 87 steps to my room had a big pile of old carpet just hanging out there.

The beds suck they squeak and the mattresses have huge dips in them they are so old. I was scared to use their bedding they do NOT change between guests. Night 1 I was in z 3 person and got the "choice" bed it wasn't dented ANC had no strange stains. Night 2 I was In a 8 person and got an awful bed. Top bunk with no ladder or railings... Huge dent in bed that maybe I should be thankful for since that is probably what stopped me from falling off the bed.

The guests... For a "Youth" Hostel there were a lit of older people majority of the guest were 40+ and really rude. Seemed to have the attitude that because they were older they were higher class guests or something.

Wifi, what wifi? It never worked while I was there

Rooms were 3rd and 4th floor 80 stairs up no elevator.

Showers were disgusting only 1 toilet had a mirror in it.

I believe that is the end of my complaints lol.in the end spend the extra and don't be grossed out.

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank CassieTwig
Reviewed 9 March 2011

This is the worst hostel I have ever been in. I have travelled India and walked across Spain and frankly this place is a cynical con. I paid £40 for a dirty smelly cell of a room. The staff were surly and rude and clearly could not care less. Whatever you do, find another hostel!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 January 2011

Okay, this was without doubt the worst experience at a hostel in my life.

Extracts from their website:

"For £10 a night we guarantee you of a good night's sleep"
(No, because they don't really care if anyone parties at their hostel! And the windows are not at all soundproof, so its like sleeping with the window open, even though its closed. Also the mattresses are exceptionally bad with a dozen springs literally going into your spine (and two of them were covered in plastic)!)

"All rooms are spacious and clean and all have heating for those chilly London nights."
(Wrong again! The quad room beds have mattresses, that are way too big for the beds, which makes it hard to maneuver around the room. And clean isn't exactly the term I would use for any rooms or facilities in Hostel 63)

"All floors have new amenities including toilet, showers and basin. All amenities have hot water and are conveniently located for our guests and like all our other hostels cleanliness is one of our top priorities."
(Tsk tsk! The amenities are dirty and worn down. We were there for three days and the toilet broke twice! The showers are horrible, and getting warm water is impossible! If cleanliness is their top priority, then I'm the reincarnation of Stan Laurel...)

"All of our rooms have their own Showers and Basins offering our guests the convenience and privacy not found in other hostels."
(Fail! It was plain impossible to cram a shower into our room, but we had a small sink... And privacy is not on the agenda, when you are showering. First of all, you have to move up another floor to get to the (unisex) showers and then you find, they can't be locked... So if you don't like to get caught butt naked going into the shower, you can always use the sink in your room...)

"Our young friendly reception staff are formed by people from all over the world. Offering you a friendly service you can relate to..."
(Can they really be wrong again? Yes they can! The receptionists are changing all the time and 7 out of 8 are plain rude and really don't give a flying donkeys a.. about anything)

"A free continental breakfast served from 8:00am - 10:00am every morning offers our guest the right start to a busy day seeing the sites of London."
(Thats a lie! We asked for the free breakfast, but it doesn't excist and all you can get is tea or coffee)

"...opening a hostel that would make the everyday traveller feel relaxed and at ease."
(Hah, humbug I say!)

The location was quite good though... But that doesn't mean I'll ever return to this nightmare extravaganza again!

Cheers