“Avoid at all costs”
Review of Hostel 63

Hostel 63
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Hostel 63
Ranked #568 of 862 Speciality Lodging in London
London, United Kingdom
“Avoid at all costs”
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Being a bunch of students, we were not expecting much- but this was awful even for our standards. Our first taste for the place came of more as a smell, a decidedly pungent odour coming from the open sewers outside and continuing way inside the house. The outside was already an indication of what horrors lay harbored within- missing window panes, bags of rubbish and a decrepit building. My friend leant on the side of the hostel and a piece the size of her fist came off in her hand!
Our room was the epitome of communal living. The beds were a safety hazard. Eight bunk beds with sagging mattresses, some not fitting into the frame and creating an interesting sleeping position I call the "insomnia". Unscrewed ladders meant that we had to slither onto the beds sideways, the mattress shape indicating the same technique used ages past. Some had even tried to glue the ladder together with chewing gum (innovative but not appreciated).
The window was completely unsafe and twice the size of me with a see through shower curtain that meant the Mr sun came streaming through our welcoming window at half four in the morning. Whilst trying to shut this pervert's peephole, it nearly came down on my head and was affectionately dubbed "the hostel guillotine" throughout the rest of the trip. After finding a mouse/cockroach/rat trap under the bed, I decided the best thing to do was sit stranded on my raised tomb for a while. There were no bars surrounding it, which gave the illusion that you were haphazardly sleeping on air. The cruel delusion was that you weren't sleeping on air, you were sleeping on the plaster from the ceiling covered in stained sheets. That was a fun one in the morning.
The toilets had either no lock, no window (found that out slightly too late) a block of door missing at the top or all three. Going to the loo was also fun. And the showers. The showers had a transparent curtain within the eight-person room and were a pube land mine. I was surprised the water even drained at all.
Overall, I couldn't give it one star because it was a good price and provided much hilarity. If you are wanting to create many happy memories, come to "Rotting Hell hostel". It's brilliant!

Room Tip: You'll know you're in for it when you choose 48. We had the worst of everything. Don't h...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Bournemouth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Let's do the positive bit first. Great location. Great, now that's done. The hostel is in real need of an update. Poor decor, old carpets and cheap bedding. Clean, but very dated. How the kitchen conforms to health and safety I am unsure. Very basic. Tired and dilapidated. It could be made really nice with a bit of time and money being spent. Avoid until then!

Room Tip: Avoid until it's updated!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Northallerton
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Excellent location, friendly staff and ridiculously cheap for London. Having read a number of reviews prior to travelling I was quite nervous of what I might find when I stayed here. The hostel is under new management. It is still very basic. I stayed in a mixed room for six on the third floor. The building is very dated, stair carpet is threadbare, walls could do with a good lick of paint. However the hostel was clean ( I can't help but wonder whether the stair carpet was so threadbare due to constant hovering!). Bed linen was clean and fresh and the mattress was comfortable. There was ample hot water to take showers in the morning and in the evening. There are plenty of toilets and showers, however there are no signs on the doors to indicate that there are toilets/showers hidden behind them, often they look like storage cupboards! You need to explore or ask to find them all! I didn't use the kitchen or wifi (I spent little time in the hostel - I just wanted a bed for the night) so I can't comment on them. There are no lockers, so you have to be a little careful what you leave lying around in the rooms, also no shelves or wardrobes so you have to live out of your backpack. I was probably lucky I had great room mates, always a big help while hosteling. It is one of the quietest hostels I have ever used. Most of the guests were young Europeans looking for work or working in London. It's worth knowing that you need a £10 key deposit when you check in (returnable when you leave).

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
London
Reviewed 9 November 2012

Horrible management, rude and arrogant,Safety concerns the tv room designed for 4 people every day meets 20 people in a time, packed smelly place to be around. I hope there are going be a better hostels build in London sooner or later and this "worst hostels" will be closed down

Room Tip: Wouldn't recommend to anyone, it's better leave your luggage and go for a night trip in Lond...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Rijeka, Primorsko-Goranska, Croatia
Reviewed 9 November 2012

The location is very good. People at the reception A+++. The bathroom not so good. The bedroom ok, as long as you use it only for sleeping, but the purpose of the london trip is to see things and not to be in a hostel.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Málaga
Reviewed 1 October 2012

I arrived one Sunday really late, and like they had their hotel full, they sent me to their another hostel "Hotel Twenty Two", two streets walking. When I arrived, they sent me a 8 dormitory having to pay 70 pounds per week because they didn't have any of 10 dormitory free how I had booked. At week they said to me that I had to chance of room because in my room I couldn't stay longer, and they gave to me the key of a really tiny room for 8 persons where I couldn't open my luggage, I complained and after having a look to two rooms more I finally stayed in one room at the top of the hostel, there are 80 steps from the bottom to the top.
In the first week, one person arrived to our room and how he hadn't bed, he slept in the bed of another person. The owner of that bed when he arrived he started to shout "GET OUT OF MY BED!!!" AT 8;30 in the morning, but the worst thing was that in one night I was slept and my watch must have fallen down to the bed under mine and the italian guy who was sleeping there took my watch and never gave me back . A VICEROY WATCH WHICH MY FATHER GAVE TO ME AS A CHRISTMAS PRESENT, although I was speaking with the responsables of the hostels they didn.t do nothing.
The kitchen is too small, and they don´t have fridge, the cooker has to leave switch on during 10 minutes if you want to cook something. The cleanliness is awful and the people in this hotel steal all the time food and stuff. You don't have a properly wi-fi, you don't have anything such in their web page says you can find. NEVER EVER HOSTEL 63

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Rogaska Slatina, Slovenia
Reviewed 1 October 2012

This is a worst stay ever. The room was dirty, so was the kitchen. I wouldn't recommend it to anybody. When we came back home, we talked to some people who were in London, they stayed in much nicer places for the same price that we payed in Hostel 63. The location wasn't that bad, it was about five minutes walk to the Tube.

Room Tip: Find another hostel...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family